Where to look for used ukes online?

BeachUke

Reaction score
Hello! I’ve seen people mention auction sites a lot around UU, but what sites in particular would you guys recommend?

Currently, I’m looking to get an Enya Nova tenor, and I read on here that people see Novas all the time on their local auction sites.

An Outdoor tenor would also fit the bill, but I’d like to this ukulele get it as affordably as possible. It’ll be used on the beach, and maybe standup paddle boarding. And I know these ukuleles were meant to get wet, but I would rather spend less money on something I’d be a little rough with.

I don't like buying cheaper used ukuleles since shipping is usually $40 or more and that is a large percentage of the price of the instrument, so the total price isn't much different from a brand new instrument. Big retailers get huge discounts on shipping costs. For more expensive instruments, I have bought from EBay auctions in the past. I will say that true auctions on EBay for more expensive items aren't so popular these days.

Hello! I’ve seen people mention auction sites a lot around UU, but what sites in particular would you guys recommend?

Currently, I’m looking to get an Enya Nova tenor, and I read on here that people see Novas all the time on their local auction sites.

An Outdoor tenor would also fit the bill, but I’d like to this ukulele get it as affordably as possible. It’ll be used on the beach, and maybe standup paddle boarding. And I know these ukuleles were meant to get wet, but I would rather spend less money on something I’d be a little rough with.

The only auction site that I’ve experience of is eBay in the UK, occasionally there’s a bargain on it but mostly the prices are fair enough to both buyer and seller. Shipping here isn’t an insignificant cost, but some of the shipping prices that I see on eBay in the USA seem to be inflated deal breakers to me.

If I were in the market for an outdoor (suitable) Uke then I’d forget plastic and just temper my intended use a bit. An old laminate won’t cost a lot (they can be a relatively minimal amount), will be available locally (Craig’s list / small adds / charity shop), and will withstand a lot of abuse - it’ll likely sound better than a plastic Uke too. Before plastic Ukes arrived folk were still playing on the beach …

Mostly I’m a Soprano player. I’d suggest that their low cost, easy transport and compact size make them ideal for taking down the beach … the other day I got offered a second hand painted laminate Soprano for under $20 inc. delivery. I have a virtually as new second hand laminate Concert Uke right next to me, it cost me £15 (about $20) including delivery and a tough single skin gig bag, it did need me to do some repair work but it now sounds and plays just fine. At those prices I can take the hit of loosing or damaging them, and with just a little care the hit is unlikely.

Last edited:
look in places where 'normal' people advertise their unwanted tat, or where unwanted tat ends up - local auctions and the like. In UK, if you organise your own postage and send them a label for the postman to apply, you can get something sent for under 3 British pounds still if you shop around. Remarkable - and all the better for you feeling impossibly good when gifting the cheap ones on when you realise they were't the holy grails you hoped they might be. All this stuff we buy recycles ever 70 years or so without fail, when WE get recycled...:rolleyes:

The nova tenor runs about $180, and since it plastic/carbon/whatever the material actually is, you don’t need to worry a ton about the climate it was kept in. For that same reason, you don’t need to worry a whole ton about setup. If it were me, and some won’t like the idea, but I’d get this particular ukulele new from Amazon or Guitar Center because for this particular ukulele (which I’ve owned and think is excellent, good choice) you’re going to have a much lower amount of quality deviation between models so it matters les where you bought it. I could be wrong tho, maybe somebody here can correct me.

Enya regularly goes on sale, both on Amazon and from the official Enya web store. With the sale price and free shipping, these are often cheaper than used Enyas plus shipping.

Wow, thanks for all the replies! I saw a used Outdoor tenor on FB Marketplace in great condition for $80 last week, but it was 4 hours away, so not worth the drive. It’s since been bought by someone else anyway. That’s what made me want to start looking for it on other used sites.

I’ll keep my eye out for good Enya Nova Amazon sales and keep my fingers crossed for an Outdoor popping up!

You could post on the Marketplace as a wanted.

You could post on the Marketplace as a wanted.
I just joined the UU Forums and don’t have enough posts to make a Marketplace post. And I don’t want to just make spam posts. But if I don’t find anything by the time I can, I will!

You can play the uke while paddle boarding? Now THAT’S impressive!😎

Haha, well, I’d just be playing while sitting on the board in the water. It would be really nice for kayak breaks as well!

I just joined the UU Forums and don’t have enough posts to make a Marketplace post. And I don’t want to just make spam posts. But if I don’t find anything by the time I can, I will!
I think you misunderstood.

When you create a Marketplace thread title there is a pull down menu. You would select Wanted. Good Luck with whatever you choose to do. ;)

1000002562.jpg

;)

I think you misunderstood.

When you create a Marketplace thread title there is a pull down menu. You would select Wanted. Good Luck with whatever you choose to do. ;)

View attachment 171815

;)
The Marketplace Rules do say:

Please note: 10 post minimum before first listing!

and it doesn't specify before first listing a sale post. I don't know the mechanism behind this; I'll have to log on with my test account to see the result of trying before 10 post minimum, even with a wanted post rather than a sale post.

I know that @TimWilson had mentioned somewhere that if you become a VIP member (even just for a month), you can post directly to the Marketplace. The logic behind this is that most scammers aren't going to outlay any $ in order to post a scam post, just like most scammers won't spend the effort to create 10 posts prior to posting a scam post.

I bought mine on Amazon last month for $115usd ($160 Canadian). Dunno how many people would be selling them used. Not high price and they are so handy to keep as a spare/beater.

On holidays Enya runs sales on their site. I purchased one for a friend for Christmas on December 16th and another on February 19 for myself around President's Day. Both were on sale and $102.00 total delivered to my home! :cool: (y)

Scamazon had the acoustic Enya Nova for about $150 a few days ago. Always look below the listed price for "coupons" which can save you from 10-30% sometimes.
Guitar Center has free shipping. Search for "used ukulele". Reverb listings can vary significantly for shipping, so shop wisely. Craigslisters don't usually offer shipping, but you might find something nearby.
Good Luck!

Thanks for all the help with trying to use UU Marketplace. But as soon as I click Make a Post, it immediately tells me I can’t. I can’t even get to the part that keenonuke screenshotted.

Based on some more research, I’m most interested in getting an Outdoor Ukulele in tenor now in case anyone has any leads on a cheap used one!

Thanks for all the help with trying to use UU Marketplace. But as soon as I click Make a Post, it immediately tells me I can’t. I can’t even get to the part that keenonuke screenshotted.

Based on some more research, I’m most interested in getting an Outdoor Ukulele in tenor now in case anyone has any leads on a cheap used one!
Yeah it looks like it's waiting for your 10th post. You're on 5.

People are pretty good about chiming in with cross posts of sale items on other sites, so if anyone finds something, I'm sure they'll post here. Good luck!!

Top Bottom