Which size RISA uke solid would you choose for a beginner?

-Emma-

Reaction score
After reading about the "RISA uke solid" electric ukuleles here the other day, I'm interested in finding out which size you would recommend for a beginner? The Soprano, Concert or Tenor?

I'm learning on a Fender tenor ukulele and I also have a Concert scale banjolele on its way. So I've only ever played a tenor size uke and have no experience with concert or soprano.

If you own one, which size did you choose and why?

https://www.ukulele.de/shop4/en/sea...c=on&sdesc=on&keywords=RISA+uke-solid&x=0&y=0

I prefer my concert over my soprano. It's just easier to play for me because it's bigger. But I don't find the soprano hard to play at all. It's pretty much preference and you should play them both at a music store first to see which fits you better.

Theres no right or wrong or best or worst size for a beginner or anyone.

get whichever size is most comfortable.

Ive owned all three sizes. Liked tenor best because it looks the coolest and it is the best one for alternative tunings (such as low G or re entrant dgbe using Worth unwound set)

Hey
You should try any uke to see how confortable it feels.
I often use the picky, so the soprano size fits my hands well.
And I'm a tall boy, so...

These are defo lovely instruments !

interesting subject with this solid body electric. i went on youtube and they do get a lovely sound.
i would go concert over soprano thinking it would be easier for a beginner to get around the larger instrument.

I've owned all three sizes. I sold the soprano when the "one in, one out" rule was in effect, and the concert replaced it. I've since gotten a tenor. They are great instruments. The concert is my favorite size in general, but my tenor gets lots of play time. The tenor has more alternate tuning possibilities (mine is tuned dGBE), but the concert fits in my backpack better and gets taken on more outings.

I have mainly used fluorocarbon strings on them (Worths and Risas), but they've sounded good with all of the strings I've tried.

They come high-G, and personally I would keep it high-G.
I once tried the low-G set, but the G string was a bit too thick and floppy to be practical.
You can't use wound strings on the Risa, because the saddle on a Risa is made of a delicate material.

If you do want to go low-G, I think the Aquila red unwound low-G would work well.

I really liked the Risa fluorocarbon strings. I think someone mentioned that they're identical to Worth brown fluorocarbon strings.
They have great tone and sustain, with medium-to-hard tension.

Thanks everyone, I've ordered the concert :)

I've gone from 1-3 ukuleles since joining the forum 13 days ago! :eek:

Good choice.

Thanks everyone, I've ordered the concert :)

I've gone from 1-3 ukuleles since joining the forum 13 days ago! :eek:

lol no worries, I'm waitin for a new uke next week (I'll try a Luna Mo'o cedar top electric), although the last one I ordered was in January !
This last quote was sponsorised by UAS. UAS, they told you about it, you said no way, you fell into it.

Anyway you'll love this uke. It's perfectly accurate, the sound when plugged is dope :)
I've also purchased a Vox mini-amp (for earplugs), perfect for playin late in the evening, when my beloved wife is asleep :). Good sound in your ears, with gain/tone/volume controls. Awesome.

Enjoy it !!!

Thanks bildio and Frax :) .

Yep I'm definitely "suffering" frrom UAS ;) .

I'm going to borrow my younger brother's amp that he never uses, the brand is "Line 6" I think.

I picked up my RISA uke from the post office today...I am in love, it's such a great little uke! :drool: .

I just got my first uke last week - Risa Solid Concert. It came strung with high G but I wanted a low G. Ukulele World sent me two Aquila Reds and they both snapped after being on the uke about 5 minutes! So I personally would not recommend those strings for this uke. I also didn't much like the rougher feel of the strings.

I ordered a set of Worth BM strings from Strings and Beyond and have had no problems with that low G so far. Personally I don't find it too thick or floppy. Oh yeah, in between the Aquilla and Worth low Gs, I tried stringing a D'Addario Titanium C string as my low G - and that definetly WAS too thick and too floppy.

Hope this helps,
Jim

Last edited:
Thanks bildio and Frax :) .

Yep I'm definitely "suffering" frrom UAS ;) .

I'm going to borrow my younger brother's amp that he never uses, the brand is "Line 6" I think.

It should sound pretty good thru the Line6

Thanks :) , yep it sounds fine through the line 6. I might look into getting some kind of mini amp too, so I could take it into work to play for the children.

They are definitely worth browns. Personally I find all of these ukes fairly uncomfortable. But don't get me wrong, i own one (concert) and love it to bits. But that's because of the sweet pickup. They blow all the other cheap electrics like peanuts out of the park.

Top Bottom