who here still clicks pics with a dedicated camera? What does your gear look like.

kerneltime

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I moved away from it for over 8 years as it was so much easier with iPhone. Smart phones are great, but it makes one think less of which pictures to take as everything can be clicked… so I find myself not revisiting pictures or intentfully clicking pictures. As a result I don't have as many memorable pictures clicked. It is great for videos but for pics I still like having a dedicated device. I am going back to my Fuji gear that has been sitting idle for a long long time.

I moved away from it for over 8 years as it was so much easier with iPhone. Smart phones are great, but it makes one think less of which pictures to take as everything can be clicked… so I find myself not revisiting pictures or intentfully clicking pictures. As a result I don't have as many memorable pictures clicked. It is great for videos but for pics I still like having a dedicated device. I am going back to my Fuji gear that has been sitting idle for a long long time.
Just carry a small piece of cardboard with a 3:2 hole cut in it with you. Set up the shot with intentionality. Then remove the iPhone from your pocket and try to capture what you've just framed. I still take a photo with the phone after taking an exposure. I can't capture a photo with any of my SLRs that is as good as the phone, unless I use a tripod and slide film. Canon AE-1, Nikon F1.

Just carry a small piece of cardboard with a 3:2 hole cut in it with you. Set up the shot with intentionality. Then remove the iPhone from your pocket and try to capture what you've just framed. I still take a photo with the phone after taking an exposure. I can't capture a photo with any of my SLRs that is as good as the phone, unless I use a tripod and slide film. Canon AE-1, Nikon F1.
Yeah phones are pretty good. They are not great for bokeh or certain other shots

Being a professional photographer for over 45 years, I've aways used dedicated cameras. I've only used my iPhone for quick snap shots or quick videos (and I only shoot videos horizontal).

My wife and I noticed this trend of folks having dedicated cameras over here in Asia... but especially Japan. I'm not sure if it's because we're in tourist'y spots or if it's actually a thing.

Our mediocre shots of Mt. Fuji yesterday made me wish I had my DSLR or at least a my point and shoot that I brought on our first trip here.

That's a Panasonic ZS100 LUMIX that I originally purchased to take more video. I want to get back to that.

I lost my Nikon D3200 and my collection of lenses in a fire in 2016. I was really getting into photography back and would even just go to spots just to shoot. I guess the fire demotivated me. Even though some good friends of mine gifted me an entry level Canon shortly after, I never got back into it with the same vigor.

Maybe it's time to dust it off and go shoot! This is the 2nd reminder in less than a day. There must be something to it!

Was a 35 mm guy back in the day. Canon cuz I couldn't afford Nikon, lol. More recently I used to carry a small p&s Canon (powershot/elph) all the time...went through several. Bought my wife a nicer Canon G series (G15) after our son was born, she used it about 5 times 😄... need to break that out again. Phones are so convenient, although sometimes the photo quality just flat sucks.

Last edited:
I do. My digital kit consists of a fujifilm xpro2 and a xt3. I use fixed primes. 18mm to 50mm. I also have my old Nikon fm2 35mm camera with 28mm and 50mm prime that I went through 4 years of photography classes back in the late 80’s. I would shoot more film but the cost is getting pretty spendy.

I do. My digital kit consists of a fujifilm xpro2 and a xt3. I use fixed primes. 18mm to 50mm. I also have my old Nikon fm2 35mm camera with 28mm and 50mm prime that I went through 4 years of photography classes back in the late 80’s. I would shoot more film but the cost is getting pretty spendy.
Why both xpro2 and xt3, just the range finder experience?

I shoot dog sports (or attempt to) on a canon r6, and sigma 150-600. I took it and a 35mm lens to japan, and the photos were way better than the iphone 11 pro! Plus you can save so many over/underexposed photos in photoshop.

Although I haven't used my DSLRs since my computer with Lightroom and Photoshop broke down over a year ago, I still take pics with my Nikon D-800 and my Nikon D-5100 from time to time. I still have my Canon AE-1 and my Nikon F-2 that I bought in the '80s, and was still using them until 5 years ago or so. I was developing the film and then taking pics of the negatives on my D-800 to get digital photos from analog negatives....sounds crazy, but nothing beats film, even when you import it into the computer. I don't even want to mention all the lenses. Luckily those old manual Nikon lenses work on my DSLRs. I'll get back on it when I get a computer that's not a chromebook so I can install the software.
I have taken many photos with my iPhone, but I prefer using those huge old clunky cameras with removable lenses.

What's in your gear bag?
I'm the staff photographer for the Los Angeles Lawyers Philharmonic, https://lalawyersphil.org/ (many of the photos are mine). I use two Nikon D300s bodies, and since they're APS-C sensors, I have a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 (eqv. to 25.5-75), Sigma 50-150 f2.8 (75-225), Tokina 11-17 f2.8 (16.5-25.5) and a Sigma 120-300 f2.8 (180-450). At the time (2011) it was the most affordable system for me, and it's been doing a great job ever since.

Last edited:
These days I use a Nikon D610 with an old AF Nikkor 50mm 1:1.8D lens. I started out years ago with a Nikon F with a 50mm F2.0 lens. So from then to now it's been pretty much the same camera just different technology.

I photograph live performances of symphony orchestras, chamber music, jazz, ballet and modern dance, and assorted theatrical circus performances. I use full-frame mirrorless cameras that can be shot silently and assorted short and long lenses that are capable of shooting moving subjects in relatively low light.

I photograph live performances of symphony orchestras, chamber music, jazz, ballet and modern dance, and assorted theatrical circus performances. I use full-frame mirrorless cameras that can be shot silently and assorted short and long lenses that are capable of shooting moving subjects in relatively low light.

I still use my Nikon D4 with 300mm 2.8 lens to shoot my grandkid's sporting events and still carry the NC high school athletic association card(now on an app) to get on the field. And currently considering going mirrorless, but that's just not too likely since I'd have trouble carrying a bag with over 40 lbs of gear lol. And now with the good mirrorless stuff you don't even really need the 2.8 glass. But for everything else, it's my iPhone. I've always lived by that old adage we all used when people would come up and ask us, supposedly the pros, "what's the best camera?". And the answer is always "the one you have with you when you see the shot". And for me, since the iPhone 8 came out, the best camera has always been my iPhone.

I shoot landscape and wildlife as an amateur. Last year I upgraded from older Nikon anf Fuji gear to a new Nikon Z8. While it hasn’t yet gotten a lot of use I have a 24-120 Z lens for landscape and am still using my Nikon 500 PF with a 1.4 teleconverter for wildlife.

I’ll be leaving in a week for a 2 week stay in Grand Teton NP. Hoping to return with some nice wildlife and landscape shots. Here’s some photos from last year’s trip. https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-QLTTXd

Photography is my main hobby nowadays. I mostly use a Canon G3X 'bridge' camera; it has a decent sized sensor, a 25x tele lens and plenty of adjustability. It is a bit bulky for casual use so my old Nikon P6000 gets used a fair bit too. Here's a few shots taken in the last couple of days.

The empty picture frame has appeared in the woods where I walk three or four times a week. I don't know what it's all about, but I like it.
Empty picture frame, Comer Woods - 45%.jpgPied Wagtail, Comer Woods - 60%.jpgJL's Bentley - 50%.jpgRavens over Worfield - May '24 - 70%.jpg

Photography is my main hobby nowadays. I mostly use a Canon G3X 'bridge' camera; it has a decent sized sensor, a 25x tele lens and plenty of adjustability. It is a bit bulky for casual use so my old Nikon P6000 gets used a fair bit too. Here's a few shots taken in the last couple of days.

The empty picture frame has appeared in the woods where I walk three or four times a week. I don't know what it's all about, but I like it.
View attachment 173472View attachment 173473View attachment 173474View attachment 173475
Nice !! Lovely pics!

Top Bottom