who here still clicks pics with a dedicated camera? What does your gear look like.

I've been snapping pics for fun and money since i was 16.
Still use my Nikon D7500.
Thinking about a Nikon Z8 but whew, the prices.

This is my other expensive hobby 😆 Started off with a 1 inch sensor camera >> then moved to Canon APSC >> joined the Fuji hype train and bought X100V >> then switched to full frame when I saw a used compact Sony A7C >> exchanged that one for a used Sony A7CR camera. Yep I have a Gear Acquisition syndrome across my hobbies 😅 For lenses , I lucked out with a local re-seller , from whom I can borrow lenses to test them and return. So I’m less tempted to buy them. I’ve a 2 lens kit : 25mm f2 Batis & Zeiss 55mm f1.8 that I bought for half the price , used. They are more than enough for my travel photos as well as for local event photography.

Photography is a prime example of a hobby which can lead people to focus too much on the equipment rather than the activity itself. Wanting to have the best 'stuff' is perfectly natural but having all the latest, most expensive gear won't make you a better photographer.

An old friend of mine used to help organise a photography club. He was quite scathing about those enthusiasts who would turn up on club nights and talk very knowledgeably about all the paraphernalia of the hobby without ever showing any examples of their work.

As in so many other pastimes, "It ain't what you've got - it's what you do with it".

At work I convinced them that phones are okay these days but nifty hey really want good photos and video I’d need some equipment. Last week it all arrived. Now I carry a Nikon CoolPix, 2 GoPros, a 360° camera, and a DJI mini drone. All of it is state property but I keep it with me because I’m technically on call 24/7. So I get to play with it a lot.

The Nikon is versatile, which is what I was going for. A lot of range in one lens. I don’t get the quality I’d get using different lenses but these camera have really come a long way. This is a point-and-shoot on Grade AAA steriods. Best of all - it talks to the app in my camera and downloads smaller versions of the images as I shoot so I can send them via text immediately or do some in-phone editing and post them on the social channels. The 4K video capabilities sweet. Pairs with a shotgun mic it does really well for shooting people speaking at a lectern (think news conference).

I cannot praise GoPro cameras enough for the quality of their images. And the media mod makes the sound great too. Yeah, I hate stuff like they’re hard-to/use latches and their cases are total crap. Need to carry 10 batteries for even a small amount of use because video runs them down FAST. But the images and video look GREAT.

The 360 is cool, great for shooting spots in the forest for social media purposes. Looking forward to really exploring this piece of equipment.

I am smitten with the drone. It’s so cool. There is no zoom but the little camera is on a gimbal and the quality is excellent for this thing that could pass as a toy. The big downside to it - I am in Oklahoma and it is windy here. This little feller does not do well in the wind. Pretty sure I will lose it to the wind one of these days. Or in some water. 😬

All in all, this is a really good set of tools. I studied up for awhile before choosing. Now I’m practicing and learning. Enjoying that journey but not nearly as much as getting home and picking up the ukulele. 🤙

EDITED TO ADD: The beauty of all of these pieces, to me, and a major consideration in my selecting them specifically is that all of them can transfer images to my iPhone out in the field in the middle of nowhere. I am classified as a wildland firefighter so I have FirstNet service which gives the phone priority mobile access to all of the networks - but quite frankly the coverage can still be quite spotty in some areas of the state. Once I find coverage I am able to upload these without having to get out a bunch of stuff to transfer files to the phone and then find wifi to do it. Not everyone requires this functionality so that is something to consider.

Last edited:
I shot the Moon tonight using my Canon EOS M5 mirrorless, with an ancient, fully manual, Mitakon 300mm prime, 1:5.5 lens and a Tokina doubler. Old manual lenses can be bought very cheaply and are fun to use on static subjects. The optimum focus adjustment can be very hard to find. I usually take a bunch of shots (ten or more) and choose the sharpest. It keeps me from getting into mischief.

ps. The way images are displayed here doesn't do justice to this shot. The original, while admittedly not the most impressive Moon shot, is much clearer than shown.
Moon, 18-05-2024.jpg

Last edited:
I shot the Moon tonight using my Canon EOS M5 mirrorless, with an ancient, fully manual, Mitakon 300mm prime, 1:5.5 lens and a Tokina doubler. Old manual lenses can be bought very cheaply and are fun to use on static subjects. The optimum focus adjustment can be very hard to find. I usually take a bunch of shots (ten or more) and choose the sharpest. It keeps me from getting into mischief.

ps. The way images are displayed here doesn't do justice to this shot. The original, while admittedly not the most impressive Moon shot, is much clearer than shown.
View attachment 173657
Lovely!

Clicked a few pics of my uses today.
Here is a sample
i-VT4cn2P-X4.jpg

The weather has been delightful today in my neck of the woods. I took my trusty Canon G3-X for a walk down by the local stream where the Damselflies are starting to forgather. There are green ones; there are blue ones - they are like tiny darting jewels. Attempts at getting a really good flying image are ongoing - single shot, hand held (standing up in a hammock!).
Green Damselfly by the Worfe - May 2024.JPGDamselfly on the Worfe - May 2024.jpgDamsel in flight - May '24.jpg

I just upgraded from a Nikon D7100 to a Z6II to shoot my son's basketball games. I'm a newbie and I suck at photography but the technology in the Z6II allows me to take some very nice pics with my limited ability. I recently took pics for his prom and he posted them on IG. Now I'm getting requests for graduation party pics. It's all camera.

Photography is a prime example of a hobby which can lead people to focus too much on the equipment rather than the activity itself. Wanting to have the best 'stuff' is perfectly natural but having all the latest, most expensive gear won't make you a better photographer.
@John Colter I agree with you 100%. The only BUT I'll throw in there is when you have the best equipment, it certainly takes away all your excuses for bringing home lousy images. Especially now with digital and the good software, we can at least take our crappy photos shot on a dark football field and somehow make them look good enough. I never considered a football field or a basketball gymnasium to be dark until I started trying to take photos there. For me it works the same way with ukuleles, using the better ones makes me admit I need to work on my playing ability since I can't blame it on the cheaper instrument.

@John Colter I agree with you 100%. The only BUT I'll throw in there is when you have the best equipment, it certainly takes away all your excuses for bringing home lousy images. Especially now with digital and the good software, we can at least take our crappy photos shot on a dark football field and somehow make them look good enough. I never considered a football field or a basketball gymnasium to be dark until I started trying to take photos there. For me it works the same way with ukuleles, using the better ones makes me admit I need to work on my playing ability since I can't blame it on the cheaper instrument.
Dead right, Keith - as with many things, it's a matter of finding the right balance. You need equipment that is good enough and the rest is up to you. If you haven't got access to all the bells and whistles then you do the best you can with what you've got.

The transition from film to digital has been a two edged sword for me. I like being able to take as many shots as I want without the constraint of film and processing costs but find that I have to force my self to slow down and pay attention to subject matter, composition, lighting and depth of field.

The transition from film to digital has been a two edged sword for me. I like being able to take as many shots as I want without the constraint of film and processing costs but find that I have to force my self to slow down and pay attention to subject matter, composition, lighting and depth of field.
Well said. With iPhone it is even worse, as the device does soo many things, you need the additional will power to look away to find what to click. Selfies and group photos are fine but anything more needs will power.

Quite so! However, professional photographers using film didn't have the same cost constraints that affect amateurs; they could take a succession of similar shots, then choose the one they preferred. Now, with digital, amateurs can also take as many shots as they like, discarding all but the very best.

This is probably a shameful admission, but I delete about 90% of the photos I take. My beloved Canon G3-X has been "round the clock" five times (that's right - more than 50,000 shots!)

I had to have it refurbished earlier this year. It was not faulty - the lens extending mechanism was just plain worn out. I love this camera.

Top Bottom