Why can't I play a G major chord?

Just an idea. If you are playing at 200 bpm but were only playing whole notes, Could you still stay in time?
I just tried, and yes apparently.

@Peteslp is the name of the app you're referring to "Pocket ukulele" or something else? I can't find it on the Android Play store, But that does sound very useful.

And to everyone else, I am intaking all of this info (including watching the videos), but it's a bit taxing to respond to this many people.

I've often found this website useful.

The G major chord shape is a really basic building block on the uke. It's really worth spending time getting comfortable with it. I'm mainly a chord melody player and I can think of so many songs where it is fundamental. For example, it's forms the basic riff of "Here Comes the Sun". All I have to do is play the first couple of bars and someone will recognize it. I think that's pretty cool.

So from what I've learned from YouTube, the ideal is to place all of the fingers down simultaneously. Obviously I'm not at that stage yet, but I had a question.

Do any of you put your index and ring finger down first, and then follow with the middle? I've only been doing it for a little bit, but I'm feeling like it might be easier. I had been doing index and middle at the same time, and following with the ring finger before.

So from what I've learned from YouTube, the ideal is to place all of the fingers down simultaneously. Obviously I'm not at that stage yet, but I had a question.

Do any of you put your index and ring finger down first, and then follow with the middle? I've only been doing it for a little bit, but I'm feeling like it might be easier. I had been doing index and middle at the same time, and following with the ring finger before.
I like playing arpeggio/fingerpicking patterns because one thing I accidentally started learning is how to build a chord multiple ways, depending on what chord shape I’m coming from and what fingers are free. I don’t strum much when I play alone, but when I meet up with friends to strum, the gain in my skills is obvious.

Arpeggio/fingerpicking through chord progressions has also been great for dialing down the “crap I missed the chord change” panic. Eh, I got one finger there, now land the others.

Good question. My immediate answer would have been that I place all at the same time, but with some thought it seems that I went index, middle, ring, and pinky when I started out. Later I tried to play as much as possible with middle, ring, and pinky and leave the index for barring only.

Practice, practice.. all in due time unless you have some sort of deformation/handicap that’s preventing you from achieving your goal.. but even that should not stop from being great - check out Django Reinhardt! With just two good fingers he played amazing! Make your imperfections a weapon! Good luck

My hand goes to the position just thinking about the chord. I learned that shape from guitar a long time ago. When I was first playing the uke I would practice various chords obsessively and I probably drove others in the house nuts. These days I still play obsessively but people actually recognize what I'm playing.

No rules… actually placing them one at a time is fine, while we are learning, and even later, sometimes one finger gets there first, or even stays in place from a previous chord just played.

🙂

I could say more about the bpm thing, but the op has enough to digest already.

( hint: if one can play whole notes at 200, they can play 1/4 notes at 50. It may be that the higher click tempo of the 200 bpm metronome setting makes keeping time easier with “slower” notes. Or not. 🙃)

I also hit the A string and C string first, and then land my ring finger on the E string with a slight delay. When strumming you don't hardly notice even if the ring finger is slightly delayed. And when picking, you often have a bit of extra time before that string gets picked. (Depends on the picking pattern of course).
I struggle with some chords as well. I have temporarily given up on the 2041 fingering for E and just use the much easier 7444 alternative fingering.

Hi Mr Bio
if I may…… we all have the one (or more) chords that prove difficult. Practice will bring you smiles. I notice that another person brought up the “bunny ears”. Cute name btw. One advantage to that fingering is that is a twofer! Once you remove your second finger from the 3rd fret, second string, you have the partial barre of your index finger at second fret on strings 1,2, and 3. And that’s another chord! G maj 7th. So it’s like 2 chords with almost the same fingering. And Maj 7ths are very sweet sounding as well.
Happy Playing!

Hopefully, coupled of course with practice, a screenshot of a couple of other G chord shapes (from the free version of the UkeLib app) will be helpful.
1716259613759.png

Hopefully, coupled of course with practice, a screenshot of a couple of other G chord shapes (from the free version of the UkeLib app) will be helpful.
View attachment 173860
I have learned that I can stretch from index on first fret to pinky on 9th, if I fully fully stretch my hand, and have seen other people that can go further. Unfortunately, with the first one, placing my pinky on the fourth fret completely saps all strength from my ring finger, and the ring finger then ends up muting strings. I'm able to do the second one, but I still can't barre more than two strings without very very carefully adjusting my finger which can take upwards of a minute. And the uke I'm trying to barre on has a low enough action that I think the volume is suffering a bit. (In the case of barring the second fret and middle on third fret of E, I can barre 3 frets, but only because the crook of my knuckle is on the same string that my middle finger is further down on, thus it doesn't matter that it would normally be muted. It's always that E string, whether barring 3 or 4 frets.)

I made a thread asking for help with barring awhile ago, and both got and employed a wide range of advice. I think I've progressed overall, but barring is another thing that I just can't figure out how to do (more than two strings).

This is kind of not relevant to either of these subjects, but I really really feel like an app that would show me every location/fingering combination for any chord I give it would be extremely useful, especially in going around my limitations from disability. I couldn't find the one that was mentioned earlier though.

I really really feel like an app that would show me every location/fingering combination for any chord I give it would be extremely useful, especially in going around my limitations from disability. I couldn't find the one that was mentioned earlier though.

I use UkeLib (pretty sure I’ve got the paid version). It shows 9 different fingerings for a G chord. I also like that it shows a bunch of other chords in the same key that sometimes work as subs or interesting enhancements. I use E7 most of the time instead of E, as a common example. I like G6 sometimes. Ditto C5. Dsus…something or other.

Bio, I've never been a fan of the "traditional" fingering of the G chord, as it gives us two "unison" G notes (i.e., the open fourth string, and the second string fretted at the third fret), and those two notes can have a tendency to ring slightly out-of-tune with each other-- not horribly, but just enough to make me wince a little. For that reason alone, I prefer the following alternate fingering when the song calls for a G chord: 4 2 3 0.
I'm not sure if that configuration would be easier for you to nail down or not (hopefully yes!). I like it because it eliminates the "unison" factor mentioned above, and sounds more "in tune."
Bill, I’m confused. Do you mean 4230 or 423x? An “A” note is not typical for a G chord. (Unless you’re looking to add some funky dissonance. :) )

I have learned that I can stretch from index on first fret to pinky on 9th, if I fully fully stretch my hand, and have seen other people that can go further. Unfortunately, with the first one, placing my pinky on the fourth fret completely saps all strength from my ring finger, and the ring finger then ends up muting strings. I'm able to do the second one, but I still can't barre more than two strings without very very carefully adjusting my finger which can take upwards of a minute. And the uke I'm trying to barre on has a low enough action that I think the volume is suffering a bit. (In the case of barring the second fret and middle on third fret of E, I can barre 3 frets, but only because the crook of my knuckle is on the same string that my middle finger is further down on, thus it doesn't matter that it would normally be muted. It's always that E string, whether barring 3 or 4 frets.)

I made a thread asking for help with barring awhile ago, and both got and employed a wide range of advice. I think I've progressed overall, but barring is another thing that I just can't figure out how to do (more than two strings).

This is kind of not relevant to either of these subjects, but I really really feel like an app that would show me every location/fingering combination for any chord I give it would be extremely useful, especially in going around my limitations from disability. I couldn't find the one that was mentioned earlier though.
100% of us struggle with barre chords. You’re certainly progressing. Enjoy the journey.
Here’s what the app icon looks like:
1716294352806.png

Bill, I’m confused. Do you mean 4230 or 423x? An “A” note is not typical for a G chord. (Unless you’re looking to add some funky dissonance. :) )
Hahahaha! Hi, Jan, yes, as you may have heard, I'm all about funky dissonance! :sneaky:

But seriously, I actually did mean 4230 there, although I realize it yields that "A" note via the open 1st string. To my ear, however, it sounds nice that way (if a little unusual), plus it results in a chord with four totally different notes, whereas the more common fingering only gives us three (plus a "unison" fourth note that can be hard to keep in perfect tune with its matching unison note).

I kind of feel like, if we only have four strings to work with, why waste one string by having it play the exact same note as another string?

I do understand, however, that my thoughts on this would only apply to re-entrant tuning. I don't consider it an issue for linear tuning, where that (low) fourth string is serving as a "bass note" (as on a guitar).

"That's my story and I'm......." ;)

I just tried, and yes apparently.

@Peteslp is the name of the app you're referring to "Pocket ukulele" or something else? I can't find it on the Android Play store, But that does sound very useful.

And to everyone else, I am intaking all of this info (including watching the videos), but it's a bit taxing to respond to this many people.
No need to worry about individual responses, Bio! Understood!

I'm not sure why, but my fingers seem to prefer the G7 chord shape (0212) to the standard G major chord shape (0232) although in theory they should be about the same difficulty. (I can play both, but I like the feel of G7 better, and in songs were either could work I am biased towards using G7.) The G6 chord shape (0202) mentioned by others above also sounds nice in some songs- G6 is the same as Em7, so it is less distinctly "major" feeling.

I also figured out an alternate fingering of the G chord with a D on top, which I think sounds really pretty (0775.) I use it in chord melody when I need that high D, but try it, you might like it.

Top Bottom