Why can't I play a G major chord?

I'm not sure why, but my fingers seem to prefer the G7 chord shape (0212) to the standard G major chord shape (0232) although in theory they should be about the same difficulty. (I can play both, but I like the feel of G7 better, and in songs were either could work I am biased towards using G7.)
I find that too. I am a lot better with the standard G major shape than when I started a couple of years ago, but I always find G7 a nice shape whenever I get to use it.

I like the G7 shape because for me it is movable since I mute the G string. It lets you play all up and down the fretboard.

Another way of moving the G7 shape up and down the keyboard, is to add the root note with the index finger (1). For example, A7 = 2434.

I used to do it like that but once I started getting into extended chords, I just started going rootless because I had given myself permission. Before that I was kind of anal about playing things lockstep with Mel Bay.

I find it pretty hard to play slowly. If I just don't think about it and play naturally, it comes out at like 150 BPM. I think it might work if I start as slow as I can, and then increase it by maybe 5 BPM per day. Does that sound like a reasonable approach?
Anything you can do to loosen up your fingers may help. Clench, open, clench, open. Open your hand flat and then bring your fingers in one at a time, pinky first. Open your hand and do it again. Hold your hand out, palm away from you, and gently pull back on each finger to stretch out the muscles.

Then, when you feel like your fingers and hand are loose, VERY slowly switch between G and another chord which you have an easier time switching to. Like a C or a D. Go back and forth very slowly and make sure that each string of your G is ringing clearly.

Then try the same thing going from A to G, but super slowly. Instead of strumming, play the strings one at a time, listening for any string that’s being muffled. This should help you to figure out the best position/angle/pressure to use.

One of the best pieces of musical advice I’ve heard is to play a difficult transition as slowly as you need to for it to sound to perfect and then only increase the speed slowly so that as you get faster, you are still reliably hitting that G with a nice clear sound.

It may sound tedious. But you are building up that muscle memory. The speed will come and eventually you’ll be able to jump onto it and off of it, without even thinking about it.

I am confident that you will get it. Happy uking! 😊

Top Bottom