Tabs/Chords Working on "Old Man" by Neil Young, tabbed by uketabs.com but there's a Dm9 chord...whut the heck...

If you have an arrangement to share, tag it here! Thanks! (Note that if you're REQUESTING tabs or chord sheets, you should tag it Song Help Request!)

Eggs_n_Ham

Possessor of Ukulele Verdant
UU VIP
Reaction score
I can't make this chord fit neatly into the song...is there another voicing that isn't so bright?

Untitled.jpg

The Dm9 has the notes D F A C and E. You only have 4 strings on your uke so you have to drop a note. The order of operations on that would be drop the 5th interval, then drop the root if you have to. Keep the 7th, 9th and m3rd intervals no matter what. If you drop the root, you will end up with 5557, an Fmaj7 chord. If you drop the 5th interval you will have 7587.

Dm9 = DFACE

5505 (the Dm9 you have shown)
CFED (-A)

You have only 4 strings to play on, so for gCEA ukulele try these:

ADFC (-E)

<or>

ADEC (-F)

Attachments

• Dm9 on gCEA.JPG
    Dm9 on gCEA.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Thank you gentlemen!
6333++ (kitten just stepped on the keyboard)

I don't have long agile fingers so these options will help!

This was one of the first songs I learned on guitar just by playing along the Harvest vinyl record. I didn't now chord names then and still would not be able to name them all more than 40 years later. I would not want to play this on a uke, but if you have doubts on how to play it just do it like in the old days and play along with the record until it sounds right.

Top Bottom