You know you're a uke nerd when...

When you carry 3 bags full of cables, a tackle box full of percussion toys,, 4 speakers, a mixer, 2 pairs of speaker stands, mic stands, and two ukuleles to a show?

Road mountain bikes for 40+ years. Gave it up this year and bought a motorcycle! Still have all the bike gear and now accumulating motorcycle gear.

When you buy ukuleles in series and send mails to Hongkong to inquire about a soprano to complement your concert and tenor.

2024-05-29 19.22.30.jpg

When your computer looks like this:

Attachments

• Ukulele Desktop - 29 May, 2024.JPG
    Ukulele Desktop - 29 May, 2024.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 26
you subscribe to 100 (or more) youtube channels, and at least 99% are ukulele shops, manufacturers, and artists/teachers
Hum, maybe I need some leads on what else to follow. Oops, just thought of a new thread Ukulele YouTube channels you like to follow and try to include one or two esoteric or less popular ones ;)

I wouldn't trust a cardboard photocopy. Reputable brands of stainless steel string action gauges are careful to align the rulers with the edges of the card, which isn't easy to do accurately when cutting a copy yourself. You're using this card to measure fractions of a millimeter, so accuracy is important. Also, cardboard wears down quickly, making cardboard rulers inaccurate. A StewMac steel string action gauge sells for $25 (on the stewmac.com website) and any ukulele shop in Hawaii will know you are serious if you pull one of those out of your wallet. If $25 is too steep for you, Dunlop and D'Addario are reputable brands that cost half as much.
View attachment 159341
There's a solid one on Amazon for half that.

When you have a diseased huge 95 year old Norway maple in your back yard that needs to be cut down before it falls on the house and you are delaying taking it down because and you are trying to figure out how to find a company that would bring it down in a way that would enable the wood to be used for tables and ukuleles. We have a tiny back yard that backs onto the commuter rail and the tree is so big they might need a crane to get it out .😕

Know any good tree people in Massachusetts?

Is Norway maple any good as a tone wood?
Edit-Just looked it up and apparently Stradivarius violins are said to be made of Norway maple, so I guess that is a yes.

Last edited:
When you carry 3 bags full of cables, a tackle box full of percussion toys,, 4 speakers, a mixer, 2 pairs of speaker stands, mic stands, and two ukuleles to a show?
Seems perfectly reasonable and normal to me...

You're not supposed to measure the action in the store, you're supposed to look at the action, shake your head, point it out to your companion, who also shakes their head. Then you make a big deal about how bad it is, how disappointed you are, how the one down the street was less expensive and in better condition.

That's how you get $200 off the price, nerds.

Top Bottom