my ukulele progress

Don’t you guys ever get tired of talking about breasts?
Actually I had a funny afternoon. I work in the underbelly of our city and it was warm. A homeless person was bundled up as they are wont to do, but the person felt he or she was overdressed for the weather. The person stripped on the sidewalk and was tits to the wind. To be honest, it didn't look too shabby. Then the woman put on the clothes she wanted and left a pile on the sidewalk for us to deal with. She shambled away. There's a perfect Homeric adjective for her movement but i cannot think of it right now.

What shall we talk about? The war crimes of Israel? Just joking; don't utter a syllable about that.

My chicken thighs turned out divinely. Yesterday I took half of my tzatziki sauce and slathered in on the chicken and let that sit overnight. Today I took the other half and added a few grated garlic cloves, the juice of a lime, and some salt. It was very, very tangy. I patted dry the marinated thighs and toward the end of their grilling, I brushed on some of the zesty sauce.

Since man cannot live by protein alone, I also pressure cooked an immense sweet potato. I mashed it into some grated garlic, Ceylonian cinnamon, salt, fresh basil leaves, and black strap molasses.

And a quiche I made was equally wonderful. I have perfected my process, I think. I eschewed layers because I was sick of them separating when the fork cuts into it. I had my dry ingredients: cubed canadian bacon, canadian cheddar, chiffonaded swiss chard, and seasonings. Then I had my wet mixture: gorgonzola cheese melted in cream, whipped together with eggs. I combined the two and topped it with some Vermont cheddar--just for color and crust. I personally find it a little bit bland but my wife loves it. I would prefer to add some zing to it. Perhaps some stilton or pecorino cheese or some peppers or some citrus zest.

Since today was guilty, "I must play and hydrate my Kamaka" day, I focused on the G# Ultraphrygian. In the re-entrant tuning of my Kamaka, that scale is very spready. On each string there is a one and a half step gap. That's a slight problem because, in my opinion, those intervals aren't so awesome. But it does create a backdrop to move into something more intriguing with half-steps.

I received some excellent advice from youtube today. It suggested a video about the best steak sauce ever. The video started and the person said if you didn't like sauces, you should leave. So I did at 7 seconds. I'm not a big fan of sauces. They usually require things I do not keep on hand like dry white wines or sherries or some liquor...and a ton of butter. And I am a bit parsimonious with my butter. Plus sauces take more time than I want to devote to feeding. And sauces seem to be something best served fresh, and I cook one week at a time so that the food can be re-heated for my wife in my absence. Lastly, I am not an avid beef fan. This week for example I made some chicken thighs, turkey breast, and have some shrimp, oh and trout. And I'm not shy about adding some lamb or pork.

So thanks to youtube for being honest with me. I've also improved my quality of life by zoning out on the news. I don't even know who the current evil conservatives are. I'm just playing my music, working my jobs, and dealing with what's before me. And national politics doesn't impact that whatsoever. You don't realize how much energy and time negativity requires. It occurred to me because I had quite a time on my hands when I wasn't gnashing my teeth about the supreme court. So I just filled my days with training more (I had lost a bit of strength and mobility by not exercising as much) and of course with music and simple eating.

Just to revert to the main topic, I do use some sauces but they are rudimentary. I do throw some avocado, garlic, and lime together while my skillet is heating up. And I do pour a bit of red chili sauce on my beans. But takes a matter of a minute and not an hour. My basic view is that is something requires sauce, it isn't worth eating in the first place. I'm looking at you, okra and eggplant; you guys require so much amelioration that the easiest conclusion is not to consume you in the first place.

And a quiche I made was equally wonderful. … I had my dry ingredients: cubed canadian bacon, canadian cheddar, chiffonaded swiss chard, and seasonings. Then I had my wet mixture: gorgonzola cheese melted in cream, whipped together with eggs. I combined the two and topped it with some Vermont cheddar--just for color and crust. I personally find it a little bit bland but my wife loves it. I would prefer to add some zing to it. Perhaps some stilton or pecorino cheese or some peppers or some citrus zest.
I’m with your wife here. It sounds divine just as it is. Yum!
My basic view is that is something requires sauce, it isn't worth eating in the first place. I'm looking at you, okra and eggplant; you guys require so much amelioration that the easiest conclusion is not to consume you in the first place.
Would anybody really mind if okra became extinct altogether?

The only sauce I like is nutty chocolate on some good ice cream. Oh yeah, I also like butterscotch sometimes too.
That reminds me of the easiest job in the world. I once was reading the label on a jar of Nutella and it said I could write and get recipes using Nutella. Wouldn't that entail getting any existing recipe and appending the final line: add Nutella.

I cheated a bit today. Usually I take my daily avocado as it comes and just deal with it. But today I threw away two avocados that were brown and desiccated, and I found the perfect avocado. I combined it with juice from half a lime, a clove of garlic, some tarragon and garam marsala, and I added a splash of my favorite "sauce" and it is produced locally by a restaurant here. Its ingredients are local hatch green chilis, lemon, garlic, and salt. Now that's wholesome. That's something that even a housewife from 1855 could make because it is just vegetables and salt; no science.

I combined that with some beans and 2 eggs for my daily meal.

Addendum:

I forgot my other long-term goal. I have to reform my muscle memory thoroughly. I knew--I absolutely knew--what not to do, but I did it anyway. I started playing the uke with it turned slightly upwards to see what I was doing. Now that's the first thing they caution you when you're 12 and going to the Guitar Center to learn to play. It is bad for obvious reasons: it is ergonomically horrible.
You know, I guess I'm doing the same thing. I'm disabled, so most of the time I play is spent sitting in bed leaned up against some pillows. This inherently causes the fretboard to be angled toward me. I too saw many warnings about doing that, but kind of just let it happen anyway. Even if I'm not looking at the fretboard either way, my body is used to the fretboard being angled, and playing with it in the proper position feels unnatural.

Edit: whoa haha I didn't realize how old the message I was responding to was. Whoops

It doesn't matter how old the post, as long as it is relevant. I think you have an excellent reason for adapting the way you have. I was speaking from the point of view of someone with no impingements. even now, I have some shoulder issues which I caused and which I should fix. You on the other hand have to deal with the cards life has dealt you. So...please...don't let me get in the way of that. Do what you must, and please ask if there is anything I can do to help.

It doesn't matter how old the post, as long as it is relevant. I think you have an excellent reason for adapting the way you have. I was speaking from the point of view of someone with no impingements. even now, I have some shoulder issues which I caused and which I should fix. You on the other hand have to deal with the cards life has dealt you. So...please...don't let me get in the way of that. Do what you must, and please ask if there is anything I can do to help.
It's definitely important for me too. Maybe even more so, considering my muscles strain very easily. Just to be clear, I'm not paralyzed, but many of my muscles are in a state of permanent injury (if you ever get a muscle injury, don't make my mistake. Go to the doctor, and do all of the physical therapy exercises. That muscle pain/sensitivity can become permanent if you do nothing.) I've been trying to use the strap more lately, because I had already begun to identify my slouching posture as a problem, but it makes my neck hurt after an hour or two. One thing I have been wondering is if anyone here has tried the uke leash? Position 3 in this video looks like it would alleviate the pain I get from wearing a strap too long.

(Anyone else get ASMR from that video? lol)

One thing I have been wondering is if anyone here has tried the uke leash?
Definitely. You should be able to search for uke leash here and get some results. Here are some quick results from a site:forum.ukuleleubderground.com search via DuckDuckGo:

There are many more. Hope that helps get you started on your research!

Yeah, I used the uke leash for a while. I used the one that goes around my right shoulder and across my back and then hooks to the ukes head. It did work well, but I don’t remember why I stopped using it. I also made some from para cord. I think maybe that was one of the times that I quit playin’ my ukes for a while. All but one of my ukes have strapes now.

Last edited:
Definitely. You should be able to search for uke leash here and get some results. Here are some quick results from a site:forum.ukuleleubderground.com search via DuckDuckGo:

There are many more. Hope that helps get you started on your research!
Thanks! Looks like it's quite well received. I'll make a thread asking about strap ergonomics in general. I see some other products that look good too.

The uke leash is fine except you cannot fall into a false sense of security with it. It is only an assistant and not a strap. For example, with a strap, if I hear that my braising pork for carne adovada is boiling over, I can run to the kitchen with the uke dangling and use both my hands to fix the problem. With a uke leash if you took your hands away, then the uke would spin and fall. So just be careful.

I made a stir fry that was very well received. And it was relatively quick. I put on Tom Waits' Small Change and I completed the meal before the end of the album. Here's the mise en place:

1. I pressure cooked half a cup of basmati rice
2. I took a bunch of shrimp pieces (pieces are cheaper than whole shrimp) and cooked them with the juice of 2 limes, 3 grated garlic cloves, and butter salt
3. I chiffonaded two collard bunches and one red swiss chard bunch very finely
4. once the rice cooled down, I added three eggs, chinese 5 spice, umami powder, and asa foetida.

Then I merely stir fried it all together, added a bit of soy sauce, and drizzled some sesame oil on it. It was successful although it breaks every rule of egg fried rice,

Musically I learned about a new scale which I am not too happy with. It is the Iommian scale--not to be confused with the ionian which is ubiquitous. It is a scale supposedly favored by Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath. The video was very cringy. The presentation was all over the place and reminded me of when i once gave a lecture about Roman wall painting and tried to wing it. It was a disaster and taught me to always have a script.

Anyway the scale is essentially E F G G# A# B C# D E. If you know anything about keys you can see that this scale has both a flatted third and a natural third, so that it is both major and minor. But it really has the vibe of a major scale.

I am emboldened to say this because, in my experience, major scales are easier to play in re-entrant tuning (starting on the C string) whereas minors are easier to play in linear (starting on the G string)

Let me define "easier." When you play a scale there are finger patterns and fret positions. For this scale, the pattern is index middle and pinky on the first string and then index ring and pinky on the two following strings. When played re-entrantly the index stays on the 4th fret. That's easy.

But when you play linearly you have to shift positions on the second string and that's not so easy. Because of the shifting in linear tuning, I consider this scale more of a major scale and therefore it isn't my cup of tea.

Top Bottom