About guitars..

kerneltime

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Ok! Guitars have their own sound which is quite nice. Ukuleles sound great but they are both quite different. I have been trying to learn what to do with a longer scale and 2 extra strings but
1. One cannot just carry a guitar around
2. One has to decide on how they are sitting and holding the guitar.
3. Finger stretches go only so far on the scale.
4. Steel strings can be nasty when they snap or pop out while changing them.
5. There are only so many guitars one can store in a given space.. UAS is so much more fun than GAS
6. It is actually harder to fret closer to the nut than the saddle! Quite the opposite of an ukulele.

Ok! Guitars have their own sound which is quite nice. Ukuleles sound great but they are both quite different. I have been trying to learn what to do with a longer scale and 2 extra strings but
5. There are only so many guitars one can store in a given space.. UAS is so much more fun than GAS
6. It is actually harder to fret closer to the nut than the saddle! Quite the opposite of an ukulele.

1. Sure, one can carry a guitar everywhere. Just don't carry an expensive one because to look cool, you can't have it inside a case :)

carry_guitar.jpg

...or perhaps you can
guitar_case.jpg

2. I think one just have to stand up

standing_play.jpg

3. There are smaller guitars...

mini_guitars.jpeg

4. Get a helping hand before snip (or maybe just twist the tuners a few times?)

hand.jpg

5. I've been wanting this

guitar-rack.jpg

orly.jpg

1. Sure, one can carry a guitar everywhere. Just don't carry an expensive one because to look cool, you can't have it inside a case :)

View attachment 136642

...or perhaps you can
View attachment 136643

2. I think one just have to stand up

View attachment 136645

3. There are smaller guitars...

View attachment 136646

4. Get a helping hand before snip (or maybe just twist the tuners a few times?)

View attachment 136647

5. I've been wanting this

View attachment 136648

View attachment 136649
😂

None of that matters if you love the sound. I play both ukulele and guitar and throughly enjoy each one for their different qualities. People have been travelling with guitars for as long as they have been around. I have a 00 size which is on the smaller that has a nicely padded gig bag with backpack straps, easy to transport.

The extra 2 strings and lower tuning is what really appeals to me about guitar. I love a warm tone, ukuleles included. With those fat wound bass strings I can get a “phat” sound 👌

My first love is (and always will be) guitar. But ukes are fun, for sure.

Before the ukulele came into my life, none of those things mattered to me when it came to guitar. It never seemed overly big and I found it comfortable to play just about anywhere. Though I’ll admit if I’m playing my soprano then immediately grab my guitar, the guitar seems enormous!

I have never played a guitar, except from my cigar box guitar which has a guitar neck, but I imagine what I would regret about the guitar would be its completeness. Unlike ukulele, pianos and guitars have all those notes and all that range; you can play whatever you want. Half the charm of the ukulele, for me, is its incompleteness. You have to be creative to find ways to play things. So this isn't a criticism of the guitar per se. I just think I would find it less fun. I think I actually derive some pride and self-worth by being able to squeeze things out of the ukulele which other instruments take for granted.

It sounds like you should take both your guitar and your ukulele in for a set-up.
Hmm this will seem silly but here is the observation, the number of muscles involved in either raising your hand to reach the nut (classical guitar style or even with the neck horizontal) are slightly more than when playing closer to the body. On a soprano one has to be more carefully when frets are closer which involves a few more muscles..

None of that matters if you love the sound. I play both ukulele and guitar and throughly enjoy each one for their different qualities. People have been travelling with guitars for as long as they have been around. I have a 00 size which is on the smaller that has a nicely padded gig bag with backpack straps, easy to transport.

The extra 2 strings and lower tuning is what really appeals to me about guitar. I love a warm tone, ukuleles included. With those fat wound bass strings I can get a “phat” sound 👌
I love the sound of both and am learning both. This is just a it of a fun post..

Hmm this will seem silly but here is the observation, the number of muscles involved in either raising your hand to reach the nut (classical guitar style or even with the neck horizontal) are slightly more than when playing closer to the body. On a soprano one has to be more carefully when frets are closer which involves a few more muscles..
When you wrote that about the upper and lower fret board, I thought you were referring to fret spacing. From a uke player's perspective a uke's lower frets are comfortable and the upper frets are too tight. On a guitar I find the lower frets a stretch and the upper frets comfortable.

When you wrote that about the upper and lower fret board, I thought you were referring to fret spacing. From a uke player's perspective a uke's lower frets are comfortable and the upper frets are too tight. On a guitar I find the lower frets a stretch and the upper frets comfortable.
You said it so well!

A little stretching exercises/warm ups before playing can do wonders... or just capo it and skip the stretches.

I think Jim Yates got it right. A new player probably finds it hard to play both near the nut because their instruments aren't setup well.

I have never played a guitar, except from my cigar box guitar which has a guitar neck, but I imagine what I would regret about the guitar would be its completeness. Unlike ukulele, pianos and guitars have all those notes and all that range; you can play whatever you want. Half the charm of the ukulele, for me, is its incompleteness. You have to be creative to find ways to play things. So this isn't a criticism of the guitar per se. I just think I would find it less fun. I think I actually derive some pride and self-worth by being able to squeeze things out of the ukulele which other instruments take for granted.
Samesies.

It was a challenge after being a metalhead all my life.

I can't just strum aggressively and make a big wall of sound. It's opened up a whole new world of composing. A new language almost.

I still love my Flying V, but it's wonderful to try something new.

1. Travel guitars are quite portable. There are literally guitars that are the same size as ukuleles.
2. Applies also to ukuleles.
3. Shorter scale guitars have less of a stretch. People may say ukulele fretboard feels "cramped". Most people prefer standard scale guitars for music written for guitars.
4. As do nylon strings under tension. Also, you can play nylon string guitar (classical guitar) and some ukuleles have steel strings.
5. With the appropriate stands and hangers, this is irrelevant. If you want guitars, you'll make space for them.
Also, ukuleles take up more space than harmonicas and tin whistles so you can only collect so many ukuleles. UAS vs GAS "fun" is subjective.
There are more types of guitars than ukuleles.
6. Depends on the setup and type of guitar. For example, a well setup electric guitar could be easier to fret than ukulele in that area.

Last edited:
I'm just amused that guitar players have 'GAS'.

The boundaries between ukes and guitars are fluid and there is a grey zone in between that is occupied by super tenors, baritone ukes, guileles, micro guitars, and other abominations.

In what I consider to be my youth, I tried out a Guitar. In typical "Me!" fashion, I went down to the local music shop and bought a small size Martin. I fiddled around with it, and eventually took Beginning Guitar at the local community college. It just wasn't for me. I hated lugging it around. Just taking it out of its case and getting the strap on made me feel like I was setting up a circus. Then there was the reach. Both the fingers for the chords, and the reach around and over the top to get the right hand down to the area of the tone hole. I'm a big guy, yet the Guitar always seemed too big for me. I love listening to good Guitar playing. But after my own experience with it, I do not want to go there again. I truly love the simplicity, and small size of the Ukulele.

G stands for gear, imho. So I have GAS, too...It applies to my ukes and my pedals. In fact, I'm picking some new toys this afternoon.

Top Bottom