Am I shallow?

I'm sorry to be the one to say this, Dave, but the UU crowd is too nice.

You are definitely guilty of vanity, and I recommend you begin atonement immediately. I'm only a couple of hours away from you, so I'll happily house your Pono while you comtemplate your wayward ways.

That's a nice little nothing you're almost wearing - James Bond

some people say that a satin finish is a thinner finish, and so the uke will be more resonant. also, a satin finish will develop its own gloss as you keep playing it.

We are all ferrets at heart.

connor, thank you for the offer. while you're Pono-sitting, I could punish myself in the stocks (I assume there's stlil some in town).
webby, how can you see through my computer? how did you know?
p....hua, I don't even know what that means. is it a UK thing, like tea?
anyway, I'm very happy with my glossy MTD, and the fact that I sometimes gaze at my reflection in its glossyness is, to me, a sign that I am not shallow, but vain.

Ferrets like shiny things.

And my mom was from Massachusetts and my dad from California, so I speak both tea and coffee.

Ferrets like shiny things.

And my mom was from Massachusetts and my dad from California, so I speak both tea and coffee.

Ah - now I get it. Thanks.
Wait a minute - are you calling me "a weasel-like, usually albino mammal (Mustela putorius furo) related to the polecat and often trained to hunt rats or rabbits"?

OK, seriously: I just checked out your YouTube channel, listened to "Vienna" - it's great. Did you play both parts (not simultaneously)?

Ah - now I get it. Thanks.
Wait a minute - are you calling me "a weasel-like, usually albino mammal (Mustela putorius furo) related to the polecat and often trained to hunt rats or rabbits"?

OK, seriously: I just checked out your YouTube channel, listened to "Vienna" - it's great. Did you play both parts (not simultaneously)?

Yes. To the second question. I wrote a book of duets last year. A book of etudes the year before. Trying to work out what to do this year...

No, I'm not calling you a weasel. Though I personally like the weasel family.

I just received my Pono MT this week. I like gloss but, I couldn't see paying that much more over matte. Plus, I've also heard that the matte finish is thinner and the sound is a little louder. I also got that directly from someone here that played both before buying the gloss version. To each his or her own. I like gloss because, it's easy to wipe the finger prints off. However, my thumb tends to drag more on the back of the neck but, I'm use to that now. I'm speaking of the Fender tenor I have which has a gloss finish. My Pono MT looks gorgeous. I like the lighter colored mahogany and the warm sound. The matte finish is fine for me. The gloss tends to intensify the colors of the wood and it looks really nice.

I don't think you are shallow. Like everyone said, get what you want and apparently you did. Congratulations on a fine ukulele!

Last edited:
Anything with ebony appointments I like. : )

To answer your question, HELL NO! Get what you like. I have some gloss, some satin. I just bought a Kanilea K1 with UV finish...can't get much glossier than that, and my pono concert has a gloss finish too. It's your money. You love it, you buy it.
I too like ebony on my ukes.

Top Bottom