Amazing Ballpoint Pen Art

seeso

Super Duper Moderator (Retired)
Reaction score
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ble-10ft-photographs-drawn-ballpoint-pen.html

They may look like pin-sharp photographs - but these amazing pictures are actually drawings created with the humble ballpoint pen.

The stunning pictures, measuring up to 10ft high, were drawn by a rising star of the art world, Juan Francisco Casas.

Casas, 31, can use up to four 14p ballpoint pens for a canvas and his works are already a sell-out at exhibitions.

Formerly a traditional painter, Juan began the drawings three years ago based on photographs of nights out with his friends.

Read more:

WOW! That is unreal... dudes got some serious talent there!

that's insane! he has an amazing talent ;)

I'm not saying he doesn't have talent, but it's not exactly "freehand"

This is from his Wikipedia entry:

"Casas paints large size oil canvases where he reproduces images he takes with his camera."

In other words, he's duplicating something, not drawing from scratch. The same applies to the sidewalk chalk guy who does those amazing 3D looking renditions. He uses a projector to shoot the image onto the sidewalk so he can trace it.

As far as "white out" goes:

"The only drawback is that he can't erase any errors. He said: "Mistakes are the main problem. It's better if I make them at the beginning."

i'm not sure "reproduces images he takes with his camera" means he projects it or anything, it may just mean he's using the photo as a reference (but then i didnt read the article, just that quote). but it would be smart of him to project it like that, cause that would SUCK to measure out and grid and makes sure everything is super proportional

and whether he traces it or not, FRIKKEN A, that's some amazing rendering, ball point pens really are nice to work with, even if not really a "high art" medium, its a fun idea.

thx for sharing Seeso

I agree. The end result is amazing. I didn't say he projected the image (although I know the sidewalk chalk guy does, especially on his stretched perspective works) but it would be an easy way to give him some reference points on such a large image. Even working from a photo and doing what he does, however he does it, is amazing to me.

Here's the sidewalk guy I'm talking about:

Here is one viewed from the optimum angle
image013.jpg

Here it is from the "wrong" side
image012.jpg

He uses a projector to shoot across the sidewalk at a very steep angle so he gets the perspective right.

Last edited:
Top Bottom