Strings Baritone Ukulele Strings

tonyg

Reaction score
I use Worth Browns on both my baritones.....an Ohana BK-14 and a recently acquired Kala KA-B. I notice that the Kala's fret scale length is 1/2" longer resulting in a little more tension and a little harsher (compared to the Ohana) sound. Does anyone know of an unwound string set that might have less tension that the Worth browns? I wrote Matt at Strings by mail, but he could only recommend some individual strings but I'd prefer a set if such a one exists. Thanks.......

Hi!

Uke Logic unwound is what I use on my Bonanza Homestead bari. 19” scale.

Mine are hard tension, as I found the strings it came with a bit floppy. But they also come in soft tension.

You can find them on Etsy, at Strings by Mail, and all The Ukulele Site.

Good luck!

Thanks......can't find the low tension ones on Strings By Mail, but I wrote and asked if they could get them since they do handle Uke Logic strings. In the meantime, I tuned my Kala down a half step and then capoed at the first fret. Sounds and feels much better. Hopefully I can get the right strings that will achieve this sound and feel I want without having to do this.

Tuning down is always an option, Another option is trying tenor strings. I've tried Living Water tenor strings on 19" scale and was able to tune up a whole step with still comfortable tension

I use Uke Logic low tension for the 2 unwound strings. Joel is a pleasure to do business with. Have had him do some custom Low gcea baritone strings and custom 8 string Tenor strings. Always pleasurable and quick to respond to inquiries.

I found PhD Unwound Baritone strings to be low tension too

Tuning down is always an option, Another option is trying tenor strings. I've tried Living Water tenor strings on 19" scale and was able to tune up a whole step with still comfortable tension
So you're saying I could put some Worth Brown Low G tenor strings on and still tune it standard DGBE baritone tuning?

I found PhD Unwound Baritone strings to be low tension too
Do you think they might have lower tension than Worth browns? What did you put them on and what was the scale length of the instrument? Thanks.....

So you're saying I could put some Worth Brown Low G tenor strings on and still tune it standard DGBE baritone tuning?
You can try. The tension should be noticeably lower than with the baritone strings. If the tension is too low, you can tune up a semitone or two to see if you like that better

Top Bottom