Best soprano for $400?

The vintage Martins are fantastic, but they have narrow necks, not the wider ones the OP is hoping to find.

The Kiwaya models with the wide neck (38mm) can be found at the link below. I think there are Famous equivalents, but I don't know where to find them.

The link below is for a Mahalo Soprano with a 40mm nut width. It isn't much of a ukulele (costs about $50), but the wide nut is a wonderful experience if you like a wide nut width.

Those Kiwaya KPS models with the wide neck and beautiful construction quality are really great, but I don't know anyone outside of Japan selling them for less than US$600.

Last edited:
Can't do better than this vintage Martin, great seller too, who will ship to YerUp.

Last edited:
Since you're in Europe, you HAVE to check out the luthier Matthieu Theuret who builds under the name Caravelle Kitchen. You're not going to find a better, one-of-a-kind, hand made by a luthier instrument for €320. Not a typo, and not hype. Hear for yourself in this review by our own @bazmaz.

Do note of course that because Matthieu is a luthier who builds one instrument at a time, you can have a variety of woods and configurations, and hey, if you need him to add €80 to the price to bring it up to 400, I'm sure that he can work it out. :) )

Read the full review.

And check out the conversation thread here at UU, which includes one of our members who owns SEVEN of Matthieu's ukes.

@bazmaz also reviewed an elite concert model styled after a Romani-jazz guitar by Matthieu here. Admittedly a bit more than your budget, but it's an elite concert -- no doubt that you could work out something in a smaller scale at a slightly lower price.

These may not be exactly what you're looking for, but you've got a LOT of unique, high-quality options in exactly your price range.

Thanks all for the suggestions!

Kiwaya, Millar, Caravelle Kitchen... they seems all very good...hard decision now...

Thanks all for the suggestions!

Kiwaya, Millar, Caravelle Kitchen... they seems all very good...hard decision now...
They are all very good. Buy based on your personal preference for sound and feel and also which ones are easier to buy from good retailers in your country.

For anyone looking for a really well made great sounding soprano for a steal, you can't do much better than

I have the mahogany Millar soprano (thinline - it's not the Doleman version) and absolutely love it.

Any guess on how much that will cost to repair?
"(2 back cracks and 1 top crack need glue/cleats, etc. - sold AS-IS)"
Well, if it could be readily repaired at economical rates then Elderly would have already done it to turn more profit. The man in the street won’t get discounted Luthier rates (Elderly will) so unless your repair work is free the total bill (purchase and repair) must add up to more than what the repaired instrument would be worth. That’s the logic of the situation as I see it - take the easy profit now and let someone else take the repair costs and risks.

Any guess on how much that will cost to repair?
"(2 back cracks and 1 top crack need glue/cleats, etc. - sold AS-IS)"
In most likelihood, the uke is playable as is and would cost around $150 I would guess to fix. You can ask elderly for a quote to fix it before shipping.

Well, if it could be readily repaired at economical rates then Elderly would have already done it to turn more profit. The man in the street won’t get discounted Luthier rates (Elderly will) so unless your repair work is free the total bill (purchase and repair) must add up to more than what the repaired instrument would be worth. That’s the logic of the situation as I see it - take the easy profit now and let someone else take the repair costs and risks.
Sometime back Elderly listed an old Martin that needed work which they were also selling "As Is". I inquired about the repair cost thinking it might be easier to have them deal with it. Their quoted price was pretty high compared to some excellent luthiers I have used. I think they list them like this as some have their own preferred luthiers and it also allows them to list at a low ball kind of price.

Rob Collins (UK luthier) has two sopranos available that are in your budget. I have one in different woods, but it’s got wonderful tone and volume, a really comfy neck, and friction tuners.

Top Bottom