Brand new Opio, 3rd string is where music goes to die

"The same is true on the other 2 tenors I just pulled out to compare against. Maybe D#\Eb is a less sustained note than other notes on a tenor ukulele?"

Your test would seem to point that way. Perhaps there's some shared acoustic property common to the the tops or bracing or soundbox size or string dimension that suppresses the resonance certain frequencies.

That said, it can't be common to all tenors, because my cheapie Kaka tenor has loads of sustain all the way up the C string.

I'm wondering all those same things. My cheap Kala has great sustain, too. Maybe Kalas have some other downfall I haven't heard yet.

Just a follow-up on the string experiment that I did as a result of this thread:

I really like the Thomastik-Infeld CF27 and CF30 wound strings on my Barron River tenor. They are loud, clear, and have a great tactile feel to them. (I did cut off the red parts and sealed the ends with a flame -- are these red portions just cosmetic? Shouldn't I have cut them?) These are keepers.

The Savarez 541R didn't work too well on this specific uke (I think it's always dependent on the instrument). The 542R did work great as an E, but the 541R didn't "unfold" tonally on my instrument. I speculate that it is the relatively higher tension perhaps and how my uke reacts to it. No regrets trying, though, I always learn something in the process. :) I then tried the E and A strings from a Martin M620 tenor set, and this sound perfect to me. They fit nicely with the two wounds. Great transition from wound to unwound (the 542R did this well also).

Just a follow-up on the string experiment that I did as a result of this thread:

I really like the Thomastik-Infeld CF27 and CF30 wound strings on my Barron River tenor. They are loud, clear, and have a great tactile feel to them. (I did cut off the red parts and sealed the ends with a flame -- are these red portions just cosmetic? Shouldn't I have cut them?) These are keepers.

The Savarez 541R didn't work too well on this specific uke (I think it's always dependent on the instrument). The 542R did work great as an E, but the 541R didn't "unfold" tonally on my instrument. I speculate that it is the relatively higher tension perhaps and how my uke reacts to it. No regrets trying, though, I always learn something in the process. :) I then tried the E and A strings from a Martin M620 tenor set, and this sound perfect to me. They fit nicely with the two wounds. Great transition from wound to unwound (the 542R did this well also).

Mivo,
I am going to try the Savarez 541/2J which are higher tension and should produce a warmer/softer tone, at some point in the future. (the r's are doing me good for now, I am tempted to try the 541r as a high G too)
I also ordered some of the Oasis GPX for the E and A to try out, after another thread about the GPX.

Yeah, 2 in a week - I was thinking about getting an Opio but also looking at Pono. This might help me decide . . .

I've never played an opio, but I have owned 2 Pono's (Just sold one to a fellow member here), and neither of them had that problem. One of the few downsides to ordering online is not being able to play the instrument first . . . Otherwise, if your in a city like me, where there just aren't any high end ukes to be found in retail stores, buying online from reputable dealer such as HMS is the best option.

To OP:

I have noticed this issue on a number of ukuleles, specifically all Koa ukes. I actually started a thread in the beginners section asking why this was so common. Since I am new to the uke, I thought maybe it was my technique at first.

This is just my opinion, but I think this problem is so common, that many people, including the highly regarded folks at HMS don't really consider it a problem. I could be wrong, but what got me started on this topic was the surprising number of videos online where someone is sampling the instrument for sale, and it exhibits the sound issues you are describing.

Last edited:
I've never played an opio, but I have owned 2 Pono's (Just sold one to a fellow member here), and neither of them had that problem. One of the few downsides to ordering online is not being able to play the instrument first . . . Otherwise, if your in a city like me, where there just aren't any high end ukes to be found in retail stores, buying online from reputable dealer such as HMS is the best option.

To OP:

I have noticed this issue on a number of ukuleles, specifically all Koa ukes. I actually started a thread in the beginners section asking why this was so common. Since I am new to the uke, I thought maybe it was my technique at first.

This is just my opinion, but I think this problem is so common, that many people, including the highly regarded folks at HMS don't really consider it a problem. I could be wrong, but what got me started on this topic was the surprising number of videos online where someone is sampling the instrument for sale, and it exhibits the sound issues you are describing.

Kev,
Speaking of Koa. The KoAloha I had was a koa sop. pineapple and it had that issue on the C.
Perhaps there is some tonal characteristic with Koa/Acacia and "dead notes" that are not exhibited in other woods or with a build that corrects this problem.
I find it hard to believe that all short scaled stringed instruments exhibit dead spots. Think how many different short scaled string instruments their are in the world and then do research on how many times "dead spots" or "dead notes" come up in forum posts. The only short scaled instrument forum I can find about dead spots on a stringed instrument is on uke forums.
My two cents.

Just a side note about the Koa discussion...my Opio tenor is Sapele, which I am told is a relative of Mahogany.

Choirguy,
This is interesting. I remembeer another member mentioned this on his high end uke that was not koa in another thread.
Perhaps there is something in the build of some ukes that takes care of this issue that isn't in other ukes?
I am all for someone starting a new thread to open the discussion.

Here's a great test, drop the tuning to either B or A#, to see if the string resonates more, if it is so, your strings might
Be too high tension or thick for your instrument. if you have a thuddy, sound. If so try a thinner string but you'll get a thinner tone ...In the exchange there is some sacafrice in tone with thinner strings. Good luck and happy strummings

About the D#/Eb issue : I talked yesterday with a Koaloha dealer (REALLY professional one) and confirmed me that the issue is not limited to the Opio Line. He personally plays a Koaloha Koa Tenor and has the same issue. Probably it is a problem of design of Koaloha as a whole.
Said that, I love Koaloha and Opio. Even with that issue, the volume/tone/feel is so great that I cannot be more than satisfied of my Sapele Opio. I see more than a "quirk/personality trait" than a flaw.

Here's a great test, drop the tuning to either B or A#, to see if the string resonates more, if it is so, your strings might
Be too high tension or thick for your instrument. if you have a thuddy, sound. If so try a thinner string but you'll get a thinner tone ...In the exchange there is some sacafrice in tone with thinner strings. Good luck and happy strummings

Hi Stan, I tried last week since I am thinkering with A#/Bb tuning and I can say the issue just moved on 2nd string 1st fret (at least on my Opio). It does not seem a problem of strings or tension, but a issue of resonance... but since I have only 1 Opio I cannot be sure.
This week, I am going to receive new strings that aren't going to be too floppy on Bb tuning (with the other I returned to GCEA 'cause the strings were too floppy for my tastes) and retry the test.

This week, I am going to receive new strings that aren't going to be too floppy on Bb tuning

Which strings did you try before and which ones are you getting for the Bb tuning?

Which strings did you try before and which ones are you getting for the Bb tuning?

Living Water that I love, but on Bb are way too floppy for me.
I read here on another thread and I had confirmation by the same dealer I talked to, Worth Fat could handle Bb tuning quite well, so I'm going to try.
I chose the Brown ones 'cause I like the tone more, but probably I would had done better with CL-LGEX.
Anyway I'm going to find out as soon as I will receive 'em.

Worth Fat could handle Bb tuning quite well

I tried Bb tuning with the Worth Browns BT and CT (standard gauge) and agree that it made the strings a bit floppy, though it wasn't bad, just prefer the higher tension that C tuning gives me with those strings. One reason why I didn't try the Fat ones is because of set-up issue. My tenor was set up for BT/CT by the builder, so the intonation is perfect all over the neck with those strings. When I had Aquila Reds on it, the thicker C string would go sharp up the neck, so I went back to the Worth strings.

Looking forward to hearing what you think of the Fats and Bb tuning!

I just checked my Copley Tenor today. Beautiful Luthier made instrument with a great sound. Loud, punchy. Guess what? It has a dead note on the C string. Never notice it before.

I just happened to play a KoAloha Koa Opio tenor today. GREAT instrument with a punchy sound. I'd definitely change the strings though and then do a little setup. Personally I didn't like the unwound 4th string. I think the Opio would come alive with a set of Aquila Nylgut strings.

Anthony

Just for the heck I checked the KoAloha Opio out again today because I happened to need a cable and sure enough this Opio has low sustain on the D/D# on the C string. Honestly If I hadn't gone looking for it I wouldn't have noticed it. This Opio is the best off the shelf factory Instrument I have played and it has real character.

Its not like I NEED a new ukulele right now but who knows. Its set a new benchmark for factory instruments.

Anthony

Yes Mr stones, string tension and resonation go hand in hand and it can be a reason or a fix for some
Yes higher tension strings, harder compounds, or thicker strings can be the culprit, since ko Aloha
Strings already come with a fairly thin string, try living waters or phd. It's a trade off though, Good luck
Then tune it to b tuning or A#
Hi Stan, I tried last week since I am thinkering with A#/Bb tuning and I can say the issue just moved on 2nd string 1st fret (at least on my Opio). It does not seem a problem of strings or tension, but a issue of resonance... but since I have only 1 Opio I cannot be sure.
This week, I am going to receive new strings that aren't going to be too floppy on Bb tuning (with the other I returned to GCEA 'cause the strings were too floppy for my tastes) and retry the test.

Last edited:
Yes Mr stones, string tension and resonation go hand in hand and it can be a reason or a fix for some
Yes higher tension strings, harder compounds, or thicker strings can be the culprit, since ko Aloha
Strings already come with a fairly thin string, try living waters or phd. It's a trade off though, Good luck
Then tune it to b tuning or A#

Based on a dialogue with Eddie, and then after reading Dirk's page on how different body sizes resonate at different pitches, I have been experimenting with the tuning down or up and I am amazed that each ukulele does change noticeably, some even dramatically for the better. When I first started playing about 4 months ago, I was very sensitive to this resonance issue due to my background in recording studio engineering. This discovery is really helpful, specifically if one plans to do any recording. Not to mention, the instrument is a lot more enjoyable to play when it resonates at the sweetest spot.

I sent that uke back, but before I did, I tested different tunings. All that did was move the dead zone.

If you've sent it back then you've sent it back. For the record, I acknowledge that the reduced sustain on the D/D# did indeed exist yet without going looking for it it had no impact whatsoever on my playing or my sound. The Opio tenors sound great to me.

Anthony

Top Bottom