Brit's American Idol Audition - The Story

CoLmes

UU+
Reaction score
First, I want to thank everyone who commented on the video, thread, and suggested songs or wished Brit luck. Thank You!

Ok, so yesterday was an crazy day. We had to get up around 3 so we'd make it to Gillette Stadium by 5. Once there, we had to stand in line and wait to be seated.. Imagine, standing in line from the stadium.. I'd want to say about 2, 2.5 blocks from the stadium. It took us 4 hours to get to the door to get in. Oh, and it was pouring buckets of rain. The whole damn time. On the way to the door, we saw many different kinds of people. From 16-28, some dressed normal, one guy was in a tight green tank top with pink butterfly wings and antennas, whatever floats your boat. Along the way to the door, the camera's were all around us, making us say dumb stuff like "I am the next American Idol" At 5 am in the morning, things start getting old fast.

Brit was still sick, I'd say she was at about an 8/10 voice-wise when we arrived, but once rain started, and the wind picked up she dropped to about a 6.. her allergies really were bothering her but she was still determined to give it a fair shot.

We got in the Stadium I'd say around 9:30-10 and we were probably around the middle of the line. It was still pouring buckets so we just kinda stood around and talked with people. I think this was the coolest part of the day, because little circles would be forming around the bathroom hallways or out in the open, and people were just singing what they were gonna sing during the audition and taking turns one after the other after the other. You could tell what ppl thought about you cause the crowd was pretty honest about it. Brit didn't take part, she wanted to conserve her voice. But listening to some of these guys, I don't see why not they couldn't be out somewhere making tons of money doing what they do. The talent level for the most part was through the roof.

Eventually the rain cleared up, and we made it to our seats. Took about an hour for everyone to get sit down. Once that was done, the american idol crew wanted to get the crowd shots done with.. This is what they open the show with and what not. Basically they just had us screaming a bunch of times til they thought we had it perfect, try getting 6000 people to not be on a cell phone, drink from a sponsored product, or not to sit down at the same time. We all said phrases together like "Welcome to Boston" or "I am the next American Idol" A lot of stuff like that. Then they had the crowd song sang by everyone. This was actually really really cool. The crowd song was "When I Grow Up" by the pussy cat dolls.. now i am not a fan of the pussy cat dolls.. at least the music.. but this song sounded amazing. This took only about 5 minutes to do, and it was like a 6000 person orchestra, and it sounded good. Amazing. If anyone watched american idol this season when they're in boston, look for a ukulele in the crowd, i was holding it up, swinging it, doing everything i could think about, as long as my section is in there my ukulele will be in there somewhere.

Ryan Seacrest (sp?) came for about 15 minutes, if that. He pretty much came in, motivated the crowd, and left. Busy guy i guess lol, and really really short.

So the waiting game started, basically on the other side of the arena was 12 audition stations lined up across the opposite sideline. What you do is, when it's your section, you go down and line up. Then they set you to one of the stations in groups of 4. You get 30 seconds to sing and if they like you you get a gold flyer, if not your booted out the exit of the arena. It's really weird, because they're looking for a specific type of person, some tables were giving away more flyers then others, and the ppl your singing to, aren't professional musicians or artists in anyway. If you look at the credits and see the producers allllll the way in the bottom, thats them.

We could hear ppl singing for their auditions even though we were on the other side of the arena. Some were really really good, and they didnt make it. I saw a lot of ppl from the circles earlier in the day, the people that were amazing, they weren't making it. It was crazy. But I did saw that guy with pink butterfly wings and attenna's get throuigh to the next round. Sometimes I hate the world, i knbow that sounds emo, but really?

So we were somewhere in the middle, and had a long wait time. Needless to say I was quick to pull out the ukulele. I had my whole section singing along while i strummed songs i knew. T pain, j holiday, black eyed peas. It was really awesome. They loved it and wanted to keep hearing it. Im not sure if the guy nextto us made it, but look for a guy named Francisco, he was amazing.

We waited for about 2 hours, and around 2:30, our section was called and it was Brit's turn to audition...

She wasn't nervous at all, it was amazing. I saw other people really fidgeting, really really not in the mindset they needed to be. Brit was cool, calm and collected. She was fine. On the way up she was telling me she was going to do Amazing Grace, which sounded fine. Although her voice wasn't where it normally is because she was still sick.

Well she got to her tent, a kid that went 2 lines before her got in, he sounded really nazelly, and was really pushy with the judges. When he got his golden ticket he went nuts and ran around for awhile.

Brit's line was up, 3 girls before her got stopped 15 seconds into the song, they were terrible. Brit went, but at the last second changed her song to Broken Road by Rascal Flats. She sounded really good, except one part where you could hear her nose in it. I don;t know how to explain it, just made a weird sound. But she still sounded good, better then the ppl before her. Especially the kid that made it.

I saw the producer that was judging start writing down her name for a golden ticket. The lady that was judging stopped him and they began to argue. Brit said she heard the guy say she was sick, but the girl pointed to her nose. I think she was trying to tell the guy thats how she'll always sound. The argued for about 2 minutes, and the guy let in. He crossed brit's name off and they were told they didn't make it...

So waiting for 8 hours, a 30 second audition which brit nailed, and a lady with no musical experience that thought brit always sounded like that ruined her chances... Brit was fine but i was made beyond belief, i still am. Makes me wonder how many other ppl got the same thing done to them. I just feel bad, because I know if brit wasn't sick, she would of made it. I mean, she almost made it and her voice wasn't even close to what it normally is! Crazy, at least now she knows she can make it.. I hope she trys out again for it..

Anyway, that was the story of American Idol, hope you guys enjoyed it. If any of you plan to try out ever, here's what to expect!

Colmes

I'm glad the expirence was good for her! I wish she had gotten the golden ticket though!

Same. But I mean, she was one A-hole producer away from making it, even with a sick voice.. so what's that say?

I'm moving this thread to General Discussion . . .

So waiting for 8 hours, a 30 second audition which brit nailed, and a lady with no musical experience that thought brit always sounded like that ruined her chances...

Such is show business, I think - a lot of it is luck in the beginning - hitting the right people at the right time, having just the sound that those who can make decisions want to hear. It's not about being the best, necessarily, it's about filling a notion about what the producers want to see in their show...

Not fun - I wish Brit had made it for her sake and for ours, because it would have been neat to hear the whole experience from an insider's point of view.

There's next year - and I hope she's up for it, because perseverance is needed in this business!

she wants to, we can this year if somehow we get the money for plane tickets but I dont see that happening..

hopefully next year they go again by us i guess.. I just feel bad cause this was a big shot, and she was unfairly dealt with a dumb cold

Last edited:
That's a pity she didn't make it. Just remember the correct person never seems to win either. Go David Archuleta and Adam Lambert! Both of them were, IMO, much better than the winners.

Have her try out again when she's feeling better.

Last edited:
I'm going to try and get a little website up, maybe try and get people to donate enough to get her a plane ticket and a hotel for a weekend.. hopefully it works.. only got a few weeks to raise enough.

We were talking about her audition again today.. she said that the ppl behind her were really mad she didn't make it, brit herself was pretty stunned, not that she really thinks of herself that way, she's one of the most humble ppl ive ever met, she just knew she nailed it as good as she could have being that sick.. i'm hoping people see the cause that would come out of it.. i truly think she could make it relativly far, she's a great singer and deserves something like this. When I get the website done, i'll post a link to it in here, as well as the links section.

Top Bottom