Bunnies say "nom nom nom"

When I was very young I would rub the leaves and stem of daucus carota as I loved the smell and would sometimes eat the tiny roots. These were about 3-4" tall growing in our lawn. The edible part of the roots were maybe 1" long.

Interesting @Wiggy ...
In my youth, we ate something we called wild carrots. The root looked like a carrot, except it was white. They tasted good. I wouldn't know where to find them now, nor would I even recognize them if I did.

I like your rabbit videos @ploverwing. Rabbits are gentle animals. There are always a few living behind our bushes in the front of our house. Sometimes we get to see their hop and run-under mating ritual. Those who have witnessed the rabbit mating dance know what I'm talking about. It's an acrobatic spectacle.
I forgot to mention that I saw a red fox on the bike trail this week. :)

I also forgot to mention your animation videos. You're so artistically creative. (What's going on with my short-term memory?)

Last edited:
...In my youth, we ate something we called wild carrots. The root looked like a carrot, except it was white. They tasted good. I wouldn't know where to find them now, nor would I even recognize them if I did.
They are Queen Anne's lace. The white root is only good to eat from the smallest plants. They get very tough later.

Ok, rabbit people: Here is a challenge-

Suppose you acquire 2 rabbits in January, and they are a breeding pair. They are immature for the first month of life and breed in their second month, so they have their first litter in March, the third month. Every time, these special rabbits have just two offspring, a single pair, and none will die during their first year of life.

So, during months 1 and 2, their is just one pair, in month 3 there are two pairs... one pair mature, one not. So in month 4 the original pair reproduce again and the second pair are now mature, for a total of three pairs. In month five, both of those first two pairs reproduce for a total of five pairs... three of which are mature...and so on.

How many pairs are there at the end of December, month 12?

They are Queen Anne's lace. The white root is only good to eat from the smallest plants. They get very tough later.

You can eat the greens in small amounts too (e.g. like using it to season something, as you would with thyme or rosemary).

Bunnies LOVE carrot tops. Good time of year for them as baby carrots are back at the Farmers Markets!

Ok, rabbit people: Here is a challenge-

Suppose you acquire 2 rabbits in January, and they are a breeding pair. They are immature for the first month of life and breed in their second month, so they have their first litter in March, the third month. Every time, these special rabbits have just two offspring, a single pair, and none will die during their first year of life.

So, during months 1 and 2, their is just one pair, in month 3 there are two pairs... one pair mature, one not. So in month 4 the original pair reproduce again and the second pair are now mature, for a total of three pairs. In month five, both of those first two pairs reproduce for a total of five pairs... three of which are mature...and so on.

How many pairs are there at the end of December, month 12?
This is the Fibonacci sequence puzzle! We have The Number Devil 😉 (and LOVE it!). My daughter worked out the Fibonacci sequence up to something in the millions one day, just because she wanted to try. Kept her occupied and entertained for a bit 🤣

When I was very young I would rub the leaves and stem of daucus carota as I loved the smell and would sometimes eat the tiny roots. These were about 3-4" tall growing in our lawn. The edible part of the roots were maybe 1" long.
Here is California, we have a very similar plant called poisonous Hemlock...conium maculatum... this invasive species is the plant that Socrates was forced to consume when he received the death penalty for infecting the minds of the youths of Athens. Until it starts blooming, it looks a whole lot like Queen Anne's Lace.

Amateur foragers, Beware! Know your plants before you stuff them into your mouths...

This is the Fibonacci sequence puzzle! We have The Number Devil 😉 (and LOVE it!). My daughter worked out the Fibonacci sequence up to something in the millions one day, just because she wanted to try. Kept her occupied and entertained for a bit 🤣
Here are a couple more to try, then:

A king, in ancient China, decides to reward his advisor for helping repel an invasion. The king says the advisor can ask for anything found in the kingdom as a reward. The advisor takes a chess board and say "Put one grain of rice on the first square, two grains on the second square, four on the third, and keep doubling until all 64 squares have been covered. That will be my reward".

In the end, the advisor bankrupted the kingdom with his request.

How many grains of are on the 64th square? How many grains are there in total?

Here is an interesting one that students below fifth grade generally cannot answer correctly due to their developmental progress. I like to demonstrate it. They still can't get it most of the time, even as you demonstrate it... it's considered a developmental milestone when they can solve it:

Take a one gallon bottle fitted with a cap and fill it with water. Pour out 1/2 of the water and mark the new waterline with a sharpie. Then ask the question: How long will it be before the bottle is completely empty?

This goes along with another counterintuitive question: Which weighs more, a ton of feathers or a ton of bricks?

Actually, I've met a few adults that can't answer these two questions successfully... they never reached that developmental milestone, I guess...

This goes along with another counterintuitive question: Which weighs more, a ton of feathers or a ton of bricks?
The real question is which falls faster when dropped from the sky. (I'm winking)

Actually, I've met a few adults that can't answer these two questions successfully... they never reached that developmental milestone, I guess...
and that's okay too...

The real question is which falls faster when dropped from the sky. (I'm winking)
There is a great video on youTube of astronauts on the moon doing this experiment... dropping a hammer and a feather at the same time. Very cool...

And yes, it is OK that not everyone develops their minds... but as an educator it's something I go out of my way to address. Thinking logically CAN be taught... but not everyone can be taught to think logically, it's true. Just reading the newspapers provides daily examples of adults unencumbered by any rational thinking going on in their heads...

That's what Elmer Fudd said!

I lost three tomato plants last night. I always have extra seedlings. Replanting today
Where I used to live, it was the skunks... they would dig up my starts to get at the earthworms living in the moist soil under them. One after another, they would dig up an entire row, tossing aside my uprooted tomatoes for the worms below.

I finally got my fence and gates closed up enough to bar them, but their skulls are the size of a walnut so it took some doing.

Three were chewed off, but one was pulled out after being gnawed on. It's not deer because they don't walk through after the dirt is soft-tilled. (Their hoof prints do give them away :) We have plenty of 'possums, but they are incredibly lazy and will wait for cat food if I forget to bring it in overnight.

Then there's 'coons... don't get me started. Oh, and 4-legged coyotes.

<edit> Put on the tomato cages (there are 70 plants) and some yukky smelling/tasting* repellent. Cages won't stop the bunnies, though. Hoping for the best. Hand hoeing and weed pulling begins tomorrow :(

* I should have done this when I first transplanted them. It's only necessary for the first month, or so. I'm a slow learner.

Back to the OP: we do like watching our Eastern Cottontails, especially in the early morn. They are protected.
Here's everything you ever wanted to know:

Attachments

• Garden 3 Jun, 2023.JPG
    Garden 3 Jun, 2023.JPG
    838.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
There is a great video on youTube of astronauts on the moon doing this experiment... dropping a hammer and a feather at the same time. Very cool...

And yes, it is OK that not everyone develops their minds... but as an educator it's something I go out of my way to address. Thinking logically CAN be taught... but not everyone can be taught to think logically, it's true. Just reading the newspapers provides daily examples of adults unencumbered by any rational thinking going on in their heads...
First, you know I love you, man. (Why do I feel obliged to add "man"? It's rhetorical, don't answer. I know why.) The outcome is the same on earth as the moon. On earth things fall at a constant rate of gravity, 32ft per second squared. On the moon there'd be a different constant. I'm surprised that an experiment was thought necessary.

We're talking about two different kinds of people.

I do love you. (Wait, he forgot to add the "man". That's wierd.)

First, you know I love you, man. (Why do I feel obliged to add "man"? It's rhetorical, don't answer. I know why.) The outcome is the same on earth as the moon. On earth things fall at a constant rate of gravity, 32ft per second squared. On the moon there'd be a different constant. I'm surprised that an experiment was thought necessary.
I love you, too! And my pronouns are he/him/his. They happen to match my biological sex as well, so it's fine to call me "man" if you like! ;)

However, you are not quite right on the acceleration of gravity point here. Yes, all things on earth fall at 32 feet/second/squared... in a vacuum. Then comes the air resistance. A brick falls faster because it has less air resistance than a feather does due to it's shape and density. Neither falls at a perfect 32ft/sec/sq because of the air each encounters, but the brick encounters less so it will hit the ground first. On the moon? Zero atmosphere, so both land at the same time. Yes, they do both fall a bit more slowly since the gravitational acceleration there is just 1/6 of the force of gravity here on earth. They will fall at the same rate and hit at the same time, but it will take longer for them to fall. The point of the experiment was to demonstrate the effect of an atmosphere on these falling bodies of varied densities.

One of my very favorite experiments to show my students is what I call my gravity boxes. I have two identical boxes, one filled with packing peanuts and the other filled with lead. The first box weighs 8 ounces and the second box weighs 80 pounds. I pick a student to lift them both. The heavy box will literally pull most students to the ground. Density is a difficult concept, but this really gets the message across!

And: Yes, I was a physics major in college. Sonoma State, class of 2000. (I also have a minor in Philosophy)

Very nice indeed. There are always variances when resistance is taken into account. I assume we knew that before landing on the moon. :)
Experiments are not always to just look at stuff you don't know; sometimes they're run to prove something you "know". Experiments are just a great way to say "hey, what happens if?" and explore that in detail. Besides, who wouldn't want to do something like that on the moon, even if you "know" the outcome?!

Three were chewed off, but one was pulled out after being gnawed on.
We had robins ripping out our beans (grrrr). We put up some fleece to keep them from getting at them, and only had to do that for a few days. One year, we had these glorious carrots - the tops looked amazing, we were so excited to harvest them - and there was nothing. A vole had eaten everything but the tops and greens, from below. We were pretty annoyed (to put it mildly). We do have some cottontails (we have introduced Eastern cottontails, native Nuttall's cottontails, and introduced European rabbits around here) that get into the garden and do damage sometimes. Voles and other rodents are our worst problem, usually.

We always maintain several people-friendly outdoor* cats. We have to, or we would be overrun with (mostly) eastern chipmunks and various voles. They do like an occasional bird, but chipmunks and voles are their favorites... fresh vole is available all year round!

*The cutest ones get adopted out to nice, comfy homes. The rest get watered, fed, "housed", and petted all year long.

We always maintain several people-friendly outdoor* cats. We have to, or we would be overrun with (mostly) eastern chipmunks and various voles. They do like an occasional bird, but chipmunks and voles are their favorites... fresh vole is available all year round!

*The cutest ones get adopted out to nice, comfy homes. The rest get watered, fed, "housed", and petted all year long.
We have an outdoor /indoor cat who adopted us. He loves to eat voles. But there are more than he can consume.

Top Bottom