Bunnies say "nom nom nom"

We had a rat in the garden one year... every day, it would climb up one of our tomatillo plants and drop every one of the green orbs down to the ground. It would then eat 1/2 of a single tomatillo and leave the rest. The next day, it would do the same thing to a different plant. Annoying!

At least they were ripe, and we could collect up the uneaten ones in the morning.

Our cats did put an end to that... eventually.

We had a rat in the garden one year... every day, it would climb up one of our tomatillo plants and drop every one of the green orbs down to the ground. It would then eat 1/2 of a single tomatillo and leave the rest. The next day, it would do the same thing to a different plant. Annoying!

At least they were ripe, and we could collect up the uneaten ones in the morning.

Our cats did put an end to that... eventually.
Ugh. That is THE WORST. We had rats get into our sweet corn. Three years in a row. We gave up. They would eat half the ear and spoil the rest. We get rodents eating half tomatillos, half tomatoes, half plums... so, so annoying.

They are Queen Anne's lace. The white root is only good to eat from the smallest plants. They get very tough later.

And don’t they look very similar to whatever it was that killed the kid in “Into the Wild?” Which has Eddie Vedder playing ukulele in soundtrack. Got it back to ukuleles!.

Hemlock. That’s the name of the plant i’m talking about. Killer of Socrates. And the thread has left ukuleles again.

Last edited:
From the web: "... the stems of both poison-hemlock and Queen Anne's lace are hollow, but poison-hemlock will have small purple spots all over its smooth stem, according to the USDA. Queen Anne's lace has no purple spots and [its stem] is hairy, according to U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

Queen Anne's lace is easy to identify based on its bristly, hairy stem that has vertical ribs and is much thinner than that of poison hemlock.

Hemlock looks very different (watch around 3:30) :

A raccoon's got a ring about its tail, and a 'possums tail is bare

A rabbit ain't got no tail at all, just a little hunk o' hair

<edit> Marshal Flippo used that rhyme as a filler chant when calling Square dances.

Last edited:
I snapped a picture this morning on the bike trail, of flowers among the punk reeds. I love seeing the various wild flowers in these wetlands in the spring. There's also miles upon miles of bamboo growing here. On a spring day like today, it's a lot of fun to cut down some bamboo for poles, and go fishin' with your kids or grandkids. Anyone know any fishin' songs? I know @Oldscruggsfan has one.

IMG_20230606_101227.jpg

IMG_20230607_094416.jpg

Last edited:
You can see it in his/her eye while thinking, "Great, another Paparazzo."

"Leave me alone...
Don't rush me...
No, I don't need any help...
I know where I'm going..."
As my daughter was snapping the photo, I had a thought bubble over my head: “Why ya’ll always pickin’ on me?”

Yup, you're probably right about that @Wiggy .

The Bronx Zoo has two giant Aldabra tortoises. If you arrive before the park officially opens, you may see handlers cleaning up the enclosures, and interacting with their animals. The tortoises seem to enjoy the attention. They stick their necks way out and up towards the sky, as the handler scratches them under the chin. It looks like love to me.
maxresdefault.jpg

I snapped a picture this morning on the bike trail, of flowers among the punk weeds. I love seeing the various wild flowers in these wetlands in the spring. There's also miles upon miles of bamboo growing here. On a spring day like today, it's a lot of fun to cut down some bamboo for poles, and go fishin' with your kids or grandkids. Anyone know any fishin' songs? I know @Oldscruggsfan has one.

View attachment 153193
Nice wild rose tucked in there!

Top Bottom