Can anyone identify this?

bythechore

Reaction score
This ukulele was found underneath a historical building undergoing renovations in my town (in Connecticut). No one knows what it is or how it got there.

Any ideas of where it was made, by who or how old it is?

Thanks.

Attachments

• uke.jpg
    uke.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 82
This uke looks surprisingly uncrushed for being underneath a building.

This uke looks surprisingly uncrushed for being underneath a building.
Here's what the newsletter said, "Did you know that our 1865 schoolhouse has a crawlspace below its wooden floor? Since this is where the building is supported, we knew we had to inspect it as we started our assessment of the building, but we couldn’t find any access! No hatch, no opening in the granite foundation. We eventually devised a non-destructive solution and when we got down there, we had two surprises.

One was this plastic ukelele – in good condition. How on earth did it get there? Who put it there, when, and why? If anyone has any clues, please tell us!

The second surprise was more consequential. Though thankfully, the wooden support beams and joists were sound, the chimney base was tilting at a 30 degree angle and was detached from the stack! How on earth – and when – had this happened? We have no idea, but we knew the stability of the chimney was threatened and the situation had to be remedied."

Looks like a plastic toy. Here is an article about some of the earliest plastic ukuleles (late 1940s) and they already have bridges on the sound board instead at the end of the body.
It has the look of the early1960s-era Emenee ukes... Are the tuning pegs (which I'm 99.99% certain are friction) plastic? And it has that plastic "Mother of Toilet Seat" swirl to it.

A view of the back of the instrument would explain a lot more.

The top seems to have 3-D molded relief of the figures and the border around the scene. As is the rosette.

It would seem to be more of a souvenir decoration than a functional ukulele.

Here's what the newsletter said, "Did you know that our 1865 schoolhouse has a crawlspace below its wooden floor? Since this is where the building is supported, we knew we had to inspect it as we started our assessment of the building, but we couldn’t find any access! No hatch, no opening in the granite foundation. We eventually devised a non-destructive solution and when we got down there, we had two surprises.

One was this plastic ukelele – in good condition. How on earth did it get there? Who put it there, when, and why? If anyone has any clues, please tell us!

The second surprise was more consequential. Though thankfully, the wooden support beams and joists were sound, the chimney base was tilting at a 30 degree angle and was detached from the stack! How on earth – and when – had this happened? We have no idea, but we knew the stability of the chimney was threatened and the situation had to be remedied."
Obviously, plastic ukuleles did not exist in 1865. The Portuguese people who brought their ukulele-like instruments to Hawaii didn't arrive until 1879. And of course, plastics weren't invented until the early 20th century. I bet that your floor was repaired at some time in the last 150 years and somehow the toy slipped in then.

This is not the most helpful kind of comment, but . . . plastic ukes are molded, right? As such I'd expect that they have (or at least had) manufacturing info literally built into the instrument, because it was free labeling that unlike a paper label would never fall off, what a deal! If it isnt visible on the outside (check carefully) then it might be worn off, but it might also be hidden on the inside.

Very interesting that google image comes up dry, it's clearly not a common item.

This is not the most helpful kind of comment, but . . . plastic ukes are molded, right? As such I'd expect that they have (or at least had) manufacturing info literally built into the instrument, because it was free labeling that unlike a paper label would never fall off, what a deal! If it isnt visible on the outside (check carefully) then it might be worn off, but it might also be hidden on the inside.

Very interesting that google image comes up dry, it's clearly not a common item.
Yeah, I was surprised that image search didn't turn op anything. I'm trying to get more photos for more clues.

It appears to be a Mattel "Uke-A-Doodle" , based on the headstock and string slots on the bottom .

In 1947, the company had its first successful toy, a ukulele called "Uke-A-Doodle"
Don't know the end production date but I see some listed as '60's vintage .

Looks like it is a "music box", not a real stringed instrument.

10575334_10152412198582600_4482796341120493423_o.jpg

... by the way , wonder if there's any connection between Mattel Creations and Romero Creations ? :)

Ad says TWO toys in one .
First thing I noticed when I looked at the first photo is that all the strings seem to have the same gauge. This is common with toy (untunable and unplayable) ukuleles. At least they admit that you are getting toys, not musical instruments.

The ad copy on these older toys (stuff in general) is generally atrocious. All of it screams snake oil to me.

Top Bottom