Classical playing without a strap?

I have a small antique upholstered footstool that I use when I play. I also have another small round ottoman/stool that's only about 16 inches tall that I'll sit on occasionally that's really comfortable for uke playing :)

I have noticed some people using folded up towels for resting the instrument on. I've been looking for maybe a beanbag type pillow as something else to try. thanks for the reply man0a :)

I use a strap because I normally play while standing. Because if I ever perform, that's how it will be and I want to build up the muscle memory. Also, I believe better posture translates to better music. Moreover, I often wonder if clamping down on the uke dampens the reverberations. Lastly I seem to feel rhythm more readily while standing.

I use a strap because I normally play while standing. Because if I ever perform, that's how it will be and I want to build up the muscle memory. Also, I believe better posture translates to better music. Moreover, I often wonder if clamping down on the uke dampens the reverberations. Lastly I seem to feel rhythm more readily while standing.
Yeah, I prefer to play standing too especially with my wind instruments. I believe it helps my breathing. But I can only stand for short periods (20 - 25 minutes), then I need to take a break. Also, depending what instrument I’m playing, I usually use a foot stand when sitting.

Im 6'3" and play without a strap.
My ukulele snuggles into me prfetty well that I don't think I'll need one.

Pretty sure there are no strap police.

If it works for you, it’s good.

As others have said, sitting down to play classical style can be secure and stable. You can experiment with resting the Uke on your left thigh (classical guitar) or right thigh (traditional flamenco).

If the instrument is slippery and sliding around, you can try a square piece of non slip material on your leg. It does help with lute and guitar, anyway.

Top Bottom