Classical Ukulele Players Challenge!

I feel it’s good exercise to work towards using the indicated fingerings, it’s probably good for developing hand independence on a new instrument. But I won’t beat myself up if I play i m instead of m i occasionally. Thanks for all the good feedback and ideas.
That is what practice is for - when you practice you are focused on problem solving. So, in this case, practice the areas where you struggle with fingering and technique.

When you play, hopefully what you have practiced pays off, but if not, it's no big deal - jus press! Any problems you identify can drive your practice tomorrow!

Hope my intent comes across here, I am not at all meaning to be a jerk! I'm in the same boat!

Here's a Medievil Polka called "Bear Dance". I've added a couple of variations to the main theme to spice it up a bit for all you Lutaholics.
There's a link to the TAB in the video description at YT. Happy picking folks!

Absolutely delightful! What a lovely arrangement, beautifully played, and that uke sounds wonderful.

That is what practice is for - when you practice you are focused on problem solving. So, in this case, practice the areas where you struggle with fingering and technique.

When you play, hopefully what you have practiced pays off, but if not, it's no big deal - jus press! Any problems you identify can drive your practice tomorrow!

Hope my intent comes across here, I am not at all meaning to be a jerk! I'm in the same boat!
This is a very good way to put it. Absolutely.

@Camsuke a beautiful arrangement, and if course, beautifully played. Another one going on the to learn list!!

Here's a Medievil Polka called "Bear Dance". I've added a couple of variations to the main theme to spice it up a bit for all you Lutaholics.

Gorgeous as always. And I’d never heard of Wilkinson ukuleles before—that is a very special instrument!

That has a very nice dream like quality to it and it even suits the slowly drifting and changing clouds out the window.
And I was sort of wondering how you got that lovely reverb in the car like that… until I saw the YT production notes. Nice one!

I don’t generally play tunes as such, I’m more of a singer/player but I’ve had Tony Mizen’s “ From Lute to Uke” hanging around the house for a few years, and I really liked the challenge of this thread, so I thought I’d step out of my comfort zone (rock, pop, blues) and give it a go. I do love Lute, I have some CD’s of lutenist Paul Odette playing John Dowland , and some other lute records, some good, some not so good. I even had a 13 course lute for a few years, but I never really got the hang of it, the blasted thing was a swine to keep in tune. So this is a sweetly melancholic tune by Elizabethan/Jacobean lutenist, the aforementioned John Dowland. There is a beautiful version of this, arranged by someone else not Tony Mizen, by Ukeval who some of you may have seen on YouTube. Ukeval is no mean lutenist either. So this is my attempt, the thing I found most difficult was getting the notes to ring out, but I think I got there more or less. I’m also working on a Bach piece where the notes need to not ring out so much. Now that is a challenge 😂 So this is “Mr Dowland’s Midnight” on tenor Klös, recorded directly to iPhone.

I don’t generally play tunes as such, I’m more of a singer/player but I’ve had Tony Mizen’s “ From Lute to Uke” hanging around the house for a few years, and I really liked the challenge of this thread, so I thought I’d step out of my comfort zone (rock, pop, blues) and give it a go. I do love Lute, I have some CD’s of lutenist Paul Odette playing John Dowland , and some other lute records, some good, some not so good. I even had a 13 course lute for a few years, but I never really got the hang of it, the blasted thing was a swine to keep in tune. So this is a sweetly melancholic tune by Elizabethan/Jacobean lutenist, the aforementioned John Dowland. There is a beautiful version of this, arranged by someone else not Tony Mizen, by Ukeval who some of you may have seen on YouTube. Ukeval is no mean lutenist either. So this is my attempt, the thing I found most difficult was getting the notes to ring out, but I think I got there more or less. I’m also working on a Bach piece where the notes need to not ring out so much. Now that is a challenge 😂 So this is “Mr Dowland’s Midnight” on tenor Klös, recorded directly to iPhone.

Well played! And your Klös tenor sounds sweet!

That has a very nice dream like quality to it and it even suits the slowly drifting and changing clouds out the window.
And I was sort of wondering how you got that lovely reverb in the car like that… until I saw the YT production notes. Nice one!
Thank you! I saw the clouds after the fact. A nice side effect of the angle.

I decided to process the audio because the recording was very dry. I was happy with the low background noise. I’m going to try the iPad by itself again. Didn’t have to sync audio and video. And now that I know how to convert the video to a wav file, it’s not too hard to edit it then add it back to the video.

Thanks for watching!

Lovely! And thank you so much for joining in our fun. That was really a beautiful piece, and I think you did a great job with it. Looking forward to the Bach when you're ready to share :)

That was absolutely lovely, John! I’m so glad you decided to join the thread - looking forward to the Bach 😁

(I’m now thinking I need a copy of the Tony Mizen book, I seem to be taking BAS to a new level)

Great arrangement and superb performance! Your playing skill deserves that special instrument!

Top Bottom