Clearwater UCW7MT Spruce and Maple Tenor - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Don't see these for sale stateside yet... so it would cost like maybe $125 here? Interested!

Astonishing value for money

This is classic @bazmaz-erry. Nobody saw this coming except for you, and I have to agree, it's absolutely jaw-dropping value.

You're right of course that it's too bright for some folks, too narrow a nut for some, not everyone will go for blonde on blonde, even with that gorgeous darker wood trim, maybe someone wants something that sounds different when strummed or whatever...

...but anyone else who offers an ukulele for anything under a couple of hundred dollars/euros/pounds and can't be bothered to do it this well has been officially called out. Not by you maybe, but certainly by me. 🤣 We KNOW it can be done, because here it is, being done. AGAIN.

This is why I subscribe to you, keep rewatching my favorite videos, re-reading my favorite of your blog entries, and sending a few quid when I'm able. I LOVE being surprised by someone who has clearly taken pride in their work to deliver something special.

I was thinking of ukulele builders when I started that sentence, but it clearly includes you, too. 😁 Well, well done, sir! Again!

This is classic @bazmaz-erry. Nobody saw this coming except for you, and I have to agree, it's absolutely jaw-dropping value.

You're right of course that it's too bright for some folks, too narrow a nut for some, not everyone will go for blonde on blonde, even with that gorgeous darker wood trim, maybe someone wants something that sounds different when strummed or whatever...

...but anyone else who offers an ukulele for anything under a couple of hundred dollars/euros/pounds and can't be bothered to do it this well has been officially called out. Not by you maybe, but certainly by me. 🤣 We KNOW it can be done, because here it is, being done. AGAIN.

This is why I subscribe to you, keep rewatching my favorite videos, re-reading my favorite of your blog entries, and sending a few quid when I'm able. I LOVE being surprised by someone who has clearly taken pride in their work to deliver something special.

I was thinking of ukulele builders when I started that sentence, but it clearly includes you, too. 😁 Well, well done, sir! Again!
Thanks Tim - yes this has had me thinking long and hard about uke pricing and quality. It certainly can be done.

There's the other side of that coin to consider too - Why are there ukes on the market with specs and build pretty much the same as this one, probably made in same places, but with prices 3X this?

That's marketing for you! And people's desire to follow the in-crowd - and buy NEW things. But we've got to realise that buying things in from areas with cheap factory labour aren't helping the luthiers in USA and UK/Europe. It is remarkable just how little luthiers are getting to produce a non-blingy but excellent instrument (I was thinking of those two recent recycled Meranti soprano models on Rob Collins Tinguitar website, at just under £300) when an electrician or plumber is charging £45 an hour - including the time drinking your tea.
I think Clearwater have some fabulous models... and it makes it difficult when you see a secondhand one and want it at a secondhand price.
I've noticed how things like (fabulous) Makala sopranos are routinely selling for £10 now (paid £5 each for two this week locally). I wonder how what the graph looks like for total ukuleles in existence over time... i.e. how many less salubrious "instruments" are ending up broken, or just unwanted and unsold in landfill from house clearances? Or are they just ending up in people's storage [with monthly fee].

... I wonder how what the graph looks like for total ukuleles in existence over time... i.e. how many less salubrious "instruments" are ending up broken, or just unwanted and unsold in landfill from house clearances? ...
Over the past several years, many of my lugubrious ones have been given away (if still playable) or gone (for good reason) to burnpile or landfill. One fully playable was gifted to a friend yesterday after a strum-along session.

Last edited:
That's marketing for you! And people's desire to follow the in-crowd - and buy NEW things. But we've got to realise that buying things in from areas with cheap factory labour aren't helping the luthiers in USA and UK/Europe. It is remarkable just how little luthiers are getting to produce a non-blingy but excellent instrument (I was thinking of those two recent recycled Meranti soprano models on Rob Collins Tinguitar website, at just under £300) when an electrician or plumber is charging £45 an hour - including the time drinking your tea.
I think Clearwater have some fabulous models... and it makes it difficult when you see a secondhand one and want it at a secondhand price.
I've noticed how things like (fabulous) Makala sopranos are routinely selling for £10 now (paid £5 each for two this week locally). I wonder how what the graph looks like for total ukuleles in existence over time... i.e. how many less salubrious "instruments" are ending up broken, or just unwanted and unsold in landfill from house clearances? Or are they just ending up in people's storage [with monthly fee].
Think you raise a lot of points there that have been floating in my mind. When I first saw the Clearwater bowl backs I kind of saw that something was askew, but at that time the market was nothing like it is now. To see this model today which is ( pretty much) identical to an instrument which in 2015 was marketed as 'more premium', certainly got me thinking.

But then as I say in the written review, this is NOT just comparing to that old Ohana - it's comparing to all those others too in the £150 - £250 range that are essentially the same sort of thing.

I know (from speaking to RUMC) that they are NOT making hyper profit on these at all, but they are making. I think their prices will go up soon, but... they'd have to go up a LOT for me to still think they were expensive.

There is a lot of smoke and mirrors going on out there and the brands would probably prefer me not to say that...

But hey ho... I don't work for brands..

(And yes, I know that a bigger brand has other costs to factor in.. but really - three times the price??)

Over the past several years, many of my lugubrious ones have been given away (if still playable) or gone (for good reason) to burnpile or landfill. One fully playable was gifted to a friend yesterday after a strum-along session.
I know your point, but what gets me here is this is NOT the uke i'd suggest would become landfill. In fact this same thing was marketed as a 'semi premium' model in 2015...

There are many instruments that cost much more than this that fit the category you refer to. And people are paying for them.

Top Bottom