Country Western Music Scores, tabs, whatever of old favoorites

johnnysmash

Reaction score
I am interested in most songs from around the late 30s to date. So I got to thinking - Sheet Music and Books from those periods of time mostly showed not only lyrics and standard musical notation, melody and harmony, but also ukulele chords. Does anyone have any old country western sheet music or books like that? Are you willing to share or sell any of them? I would like them for piano, guitar and ukulele playing all together on one sheet.

Some of the tunes in "The Weavers Song Book" are arranged like this ... some of the tunes in could also be considered "Country and Western" ... you'd need to find a copy and look through it to see if it suits your requirements.

The same could be said to be true for "132 Folk Song Favorites" by Alexander Shealy (Copa Publishing).

There is/was also a series of music books entitled "70 Years of Popular Music" from "International Music Publications", each of seven books covering ten years from the '20's through to the '80's. Again you'd need to examine copies to evaluate the contents.

My copies were all found cheaply on eBay and are now firmly ensconced on my music shelf ;)

I list in the songbooks and folios of the vintage uke music collection:

The Cowboy Sings, The Happy Cowboy, Sgt. Gene Autry, Big Round Up of Cowboy Songs, as well as individual songs included in the other books (e.g. The Cowboy Serenade in the All Star Vaughan Monroe book). Plus there are several individual songsheets of western and cowboy hits.

Thanks Guys. Some great links there. Yahalele's link to the Complete Book Of Hank Williams tunes will be ordered soon. That book covers all of Hank Williams and even some of his sons. I could not find a link for that anywhere here searching from Thailand. As I get more time I plan to dig through all of the links you guys provided. Some old trail or real early country is great stuff too.

What I am hung up on today is an old tune that I have worked out the chords for and copied the lyrics from computer. I just cannot for the life of me work out the single note melody as they would sing it. Together Again, as sang by Vince Gill and also sang by Emmylou Harris. I do not know who wrote it or who else sang it. I can just remember hearing that old tune for most of my life and love it.

Do not do this if you have ever been a country fan--Get Bored like I got bored on night and listened to You Tube for hours. All old country with a steel guitar. Bang, it hit me and crushed me. All of a sudden I want to go back and play every country song I have ever heard and forget all other kind of music. The love of old music and AS is going to be the death of me yet - maybe.

Today I ordered the Hank Williams Complete book and another one. The CMT's 100 Greatest Love Songs, From scanning the index to the 100 Greatest Love Songs I saw many old favorites that I am searching for including Buck Owens's song Together Again. It will take about a month to receive them here in Thailand. When received I will see if I can post a copy of the index of each so any members interested in this type of music will know where to find it. Both books are written with melody line, and accompaniment for piano as well as guitar chords and lyrics.

Hi, Johnny! You know many old songs. I often play just melody lines on my guitar. That is fun.

Mostly just one or two lines of each. I am not much on playing by ear so that is why I ordered the books. I play piano a little and can read music so I should be able to get a lot out of them. I too like to just play single note melody. I am trying to learn how to flat pick now so I can play single note melody and add in some strums and maybe some licks to dress it up a little. Old country and western music from just before Hank Williams to date is all great with me. I like Love Songs and so called Tear-Jerkers.

Hi, Johnny. It's great to hear that there are people around the globe that appreciate the history and beauty of this genre'. Because of old age and the arthritis that comes with it, my wife and I have switched from guitars to ukuleles. We're selling the last of our guitars and have found a number of country, western, and folk song music books that we no longer have a use for. There's about 20 pounds of them so getting them to you might be too expensive. but I really would like for them to end up with someone who would use them to keep this style of music alive. Send me a PM if you have interest. "Keep on ukeing".

Today I received the two books that I ordered from SheetmusicPlus. Never have I been happier with books I ordered online. I was going to post a copy of the indexes, however, that is unnecessary because when one is looking at the books on line they show the index and a little about the books. Both books are published by Hal Leonard. SheetmusicPlus lists them as CMT's 100 Greatest Love Songs and Hank Williams Complete.

Hi, Johnny! I am practicing to sing Lonesome Whistle by Hank Williams with my guitar now. It is fun to practice.

The name of the song is "I'm So Lonesome, I Could Cry." If you've got that, you're good.

The new book I have says it is the complete work of Hank Williams, however it does not list "Lonesome Whistle". So much for the b.s. of book companies.

I just downloaded and printed out the Irish traditional tunes for baritone uku pdf of Putter. Now if you will, please explain to me how to read this type of score/tab. You might do better if you start with "Ashokan Farewell" since I know this song better then most of the others. Other than the name of the song I can see the beats per minute. Beyond that I am lost.

Hi, Johnny! We read tabs like this below.

If you can not understand, ask me again. If we understand it, it is simple and easy.

I understand the TAB like Mike Lynch's books show. However, I do not understand it the way Punter puts it. I practice songs from Mike Lynch books every day. No problem. I read a standard music well. It is just that this is the first time I have encountered tab as Punter writes it out.

I will try to explain what I do not understand and what I do. Regular TAB with four lines divided in bars or measures of music with chords written above I can play very well.

Take Drowsy Maggie, as Putter has written out:

= E = B =G = D = 140 I understand 140 beats per measure and ukulele is tuned EBGD

Next two lines Em D Em D for first four measures of music. I assume one chord per measure.

Baritone uku

Now I am lost. I understand o is open string, but which string. 302 means play fret 3 0 2. All together or one note at a time. On which line/string?

Further down I see some notes raised and some lowered here and on many songs so I know you are playing on three different strings, which strings?

1/10 means what?

Down more to A7 D A7D A7 G D for measures 5, 6, 7, 8 what chord goes in each measure? Strummed what?

I can probably get the timing of each note by listening to the song and maybe see which line the notes go on. Most of the songs are new to me so I need to go to U tube and fine them.

Maybe from what I have said here you will understand my problem.

No, they are not the same. The one you sent me here just now I can read with no problem. The one I downloaded from putter has no lines or staff of any kind.

Top Bottom