Did anyone else name their ukulele?

When you own multiples of a thing it’s natural to want to name each one. Especially things as personal as musical instruments.

I mean, that's not my instinct, but I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I'm not at all saying people shouldn't do it. I do think that if I were to name mine, the urge would be greater with a smaller collection and less so with a larger collection. Like nearly everything, individual ukes tend to become less special when someone owns many.

I'm mostly just curious if people who name their ukes are doing it for the sake of referencing them in conversation, as that seems to be one of main reasons people name things. The only other reason that comes to mind is for sentiment. And while I'm sentimental enough that I've been teased for it, and I think names are a special thing, and I love my ukes, I guess I haven't really had any urge to name them.

'Zuleika' is very personal to me. I got her at a time when COVID was ruining my mental health and having my first ever ukulele really cheered me up. I still remember joyfully snatching her from the packaging and playing a volley of random notes.

That's pretty cool. I've played a number of instruments and admired many more, but probably none so happy as the uke. Good on you; I hope there's much more joy ahead for you and your uke.

Warning: downer post. I had a custom guitar made for me in 1983. By custom I mean it was from the conception based on my playing, hands, style, keys I played in and every sliver was picked out by me and the Luthier. I lived in the city and spent 3 months visiting his shot 3-4 times a week. Got so much that I bought and stored my own brand of tea. Took 2 years to complete. I played it till my open heart surgery. The ONLY guitar I played. Her name was Carolyn. Open heart surgery went sideways and I lost about 80% of the use of my right arm and constant pain. Ended up not being able to play guitar without serious pain. I could not have her un-played, so I found a new home for her. Turned her into a couple medical bill receipts. Now, I can play ukulele now, and have a dream of one day owning a Martin S1. And I will not name her. Not sure I could go through that again.
Well, after this story, I think we should all get you a Martin S1s. if you are not offended by that. They are about $400, right? I will put in $40 bucks if others will match me or partially match me. Anyone else willing to help me make this happen, reply to this thread or PM me.

Well, after this story, I think we should all get you a Martin S1s. if you are not offended by that. They are about $400, right? I will put in $40 bucks if others will match me or partially match me. Anyone else willing to help me make this happen, reply to this thread or PM me.
I'll donate when I get paid this month. Let's get him that uke he wants, life is short and cruel.

I'm getting a Waterman uke soon because I like to play outdoors and I can't do that in volatile weather. I'm weighing up what to name her. I like Adriana or Alexandra.

a feminine name for a waterMAN??? hmmm, confusion ensues. how about "splashy"? or "jonah"

a feminine name for a waterMAN??? hmmm, confusion ensues. how about "splashy"? or "jonah"
Hehee! IDK seems natural to name treble instruments female names and bass instruments male names

When I get a ukubass at some point he will be named Zvonimir or Velimir, I think

Just bumping the thread: I'm still down to crowdfund him the uke he wants. I just got paid so lemme know details

Not my ukes, but this old S.S. Stewart guitar that was given tome by my ex-father-in-law had a pick guard with the name "Evangeline" on it. The pick guard was lost long before I got it, but the name "Evangeline" stuck. This photo was taken circa 1980. The guitar has since self desructed, but I used it for slide and one of my sons used it when he started to play slide at age 12.

Jim & Evangeline.jpg

I guess I do refer to this old banjolele as "May Bell".
May Bell.jpg

Rosalita'nani is the last name that stuck on one of my ukes.

Rosa - Spanish for rose. Palo Escrito (Mexican Rosewood) back and sides.

Lita - Spanish for little. It's a thinline.

Nani - Hawaiian for beautiful

I’m especially sentimental. I also think giving things names keeps me in a better state of gratitude, which is beneficial in all things.

My first, a waterman, I didn’t name, because I wasn’t sure I could pursue the hobby when I got it. Unofficially, the traffic killer. Every time I pick it up to play on the car, the light goes green and I have to put it back down!

My second, a wooden tenor, I named Clara, for her clear sound. Also a little for Clara Schumann, an accomplished pianist.

Then came Sonora, a concert Flight travel with a desert image with Saguaro cactus.

And Laufey, a green Outdoor tenor. Laufey means “leafy”, roughly. It’s a family name, as well as the name of Loki’s mother in Norse mythology. She’s my daily driver.

I’m very tempted to get a moonshine Outdoor soprano. I’d name it Little Leota, after the character from the Haunted Mansion ride.
I’ve also just gotten a yamaha guitalele and look forward to getting to know it better.

I came up with GiGi for my Ko'olau. I was originally thinking 'Goose' from the term 'spruce goose' and Maverick's co-pilot in Top Gun, but I didn't love it.

Then I thought of the golden geese from Willy Wonka and how it kinda matched my golden spruce top and the fact that it's kind of a rare gem.

"I want a golden goose NOW!!"

Golden Goose.. GG..GiGi!

Also, "gg" is a term used in sports and gaming, for "good game." I like to think of this one as perhaps being an ender to the 'ukulele acquisition game and I can say gg to myself. I played well and this is the prize. 😍 She's a keeper!!

Although I haven't tried it with a high g yet, maybe it's also a good uke name for low G and high g capable uke.

Or when you see it, you say "Geez!"

As you can see, I thought about this for far too long.

I might need to watch this film.
79e82ac5941a19cfe752308c0f14c404712615d91af9c55cddfac2ba468de1ac.jpg

Most of my ukes have names. I don't actively name them, but they seem to develop names almost by accident. So there's Cornelius, Jones The String, Woody, Bob, Kryten, Kitty and Judas. My two newest are as yet unnamed but it will happen when I least expect it!

(I'm not going to explain all of these, but I will say that "Woody" is my Enya Nova tenor, which has no wood in it, and is therefore hilarious. Oh yes it is. I will not be taking any further questions at this time.)

So interesting to see the varying replies in this thread. I've never been one much for names -- not even for people. I don't feel any kind of fondness or attachment for my own name even. It's just the noise people make to get my attention. All of my instruments are just called by some kind of descriptor -- the Naupaka, the slimline, the Kamaka; etc.

So interesting to see the varying replies in this thread. I've never been one much for names -- not even for people. I don't feel any kind of fondness or attachment for my own name even. It's just the noise people make to get my attention.
I remember hearing in some managerial training that people like hearing the sound of their own names. The trainer for that class greeted us all as we entered the hotel conference room and we sat wherever we wanted. He then started the class by calling all 30 to 40 of us by name, one by one. He told us hia trick on how he remembered all our names, but I forgot that and I cant remember names of people I meet after 3minutes.

I used to frequent dog parks and remembered all the names of the dogs, but never knew the names of the owners.

To end my ramble, I will add that my mom used to call my name whenever she needed something or when I was in trouble. Hardly ever for anything good! 😅 Whenever I heard calling my name, it resulted in a sigh or an "ugh" type of feeling as I went to go see what she needed. Ahh the teenage years.

Top Bottom