Did I just buy a diamond in the rough?

Eggs_n_Ham

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am a self professed "not a soprano player". However...I saw a thread in marketplace: "Ohana sk25 soprano uke, really love this uke but am selling it!" Folks in the thread were lauding this little uke so I decided to look harder. "Mmmm, says I, why not look into this, a soprano might be fun and this one ticks all the boxes".

A couple hours later and I realize these little ukes are popular and apparently hard to find (I'm looking at you as well Kiwaya/Famous)...the Ohana website has them in their "retired models"... category... uh oh, that could be a problem. Ebay? reverb? elderly? pennylane emporium? Joe's rib hut and musical superstore?

Don't want to pay overseas shipping and import fees so that's out. Last place I check, Aloha city ukes.com has them! Wooh! Shot and goal.
Why a goal you might ask? just a little inexpensive Ohana soprano. Yeah but, solid mahogany, nut bone and saddle, grover tuners; rosewood fingerboard and bridge. Not too shabby!

Diamond in the rough? Maybe not. Cubic zirconia in the rough? Definitely.

There have been positive comments on here about the SK-25 - should be good and I like plain instruments that play really well. A diamond? Well all solid for a lowish price is nice, once you’ve played it for a while you’ll be able to say whether it lives up to your hopes or not. I understand that the SK-35 is the same instrument but with binding, etc., and that they (SK-35) play well and even better with Martin M600’s on them.

There have been positive comments on here about the SK-25 - should be good and I like plain instruments that play really well. A diamond? Well all solid for a lowish price is nice, once you’ve played it for a while you’ll be able to say whether it lives up to your hopes or not. I understand that the SK-35 is the same instrument but with binding, etc., and that they (SK-35) play well and even better with Martin M600’s on them.
This is true. I was initially disappointed in the sound of my SK-25 when it first arrived but swapping the stock Aquilas with Martin M600s made it sing.

I did indeed look sk-38's, and especially at the Kiwaya and Famous sopranos but having been recently financially "debacled", I resisted all temptation to spend beyond a certain limit plus- the Ohana sk25 has a real fan base here and I appreciate that.
I watched a few youtube vids of the sk-25 and while a few made the uke sound um, shall I dare say ghastly, I watched Mim (mim's ukes) playing the sk-25 and it sounded cheerful and pretty much how I expect a decent inexpensive soprano to sound.
I'm looking forward to it's arrival and getting used to the smaller "atmosphere". ;)

This is true. I was initially disappointed in the sound of my SK-25 when it first arrived but swapping the stock Aquilas with Martin M600s made it sing.
I will definitely keep that in mind. I just used my spare Martin 600's on my Aklot concert. Another order to Strings by mail...
Responsible? Well let's just say influential!

I did indeed look sk-38's, and especially at the Kiwaya and Famous sopranos but having been recently financially "debacled", I resisted all temptation to spend beyond a certain limit plus- the Ohana sk25 has a real fan base here and I appreciate that.
I watched a few youtube vids of the sk-25 and while a few made the uke sound um, shall I dare say ghastly, I watched Mim (mim's ukes) playing the sk-25 and it sounded cheerful and pretty much how I expect a decent inexpensive soprano to sound.
I'm looking forward to it's arrival and getting used to the smaller "atmosphere". ;)
I had an Ohana SK-25 from Mim and wish now that I hadn’t sold it.

I will definitely keep that in mind. I just used my spare Martin 600's on my Aklot concert. Another order to Strings by mail...
Responsible? Well let's just say influential!
Off topic, but I’ve owned an Aklot and it was a decent uke! Amazing price and good sound.

I own an SK-28 and love it. Had an SK-35 and wish I had kept it. The necks fit really well in my hands and they bark!

EDIT: The only decent Aquila strings I’ve found for the Ohana are the sugars. Otherwise, fluoros are da bomb.

is there anyone with the SK solid sopranos who has found they HAVE stayed with Aquila?! The Mahimahi (solid Ohana sop clone-ish) is on Aquila and sounds ok but the I'd prefer more agressive bark. I'm not sure if the bigger body will encourage 'bark' or send it in the Concert direction.

is there anyone with the SK solid sopranos who has found they HAVE stayed with Aquila?! The Mahimahi (solid Ohana sop clone-ish) is on Aquila and sounds ok but the I'd prefer more agressive bark. I'm not sure if the bigger body will encourage 'bark' or send it in the Concert direction.
I only have a long neck version, but I'm not looking back after switching to fluorocarbon! In fact, I was not very happy with it untill the change.
Not that I dislike Aquilas. I am about to try them out on a tenor that came with fluorocarbon strings. The just go really well with that body.
Reminds me of that one time I asked for fluorocarbon strings in a Copenhagen music shop. The man at the counter said that he didnt have any, but those were only really for soprano ukuleles. While I dont agree, they work well on many sizes, it might be true that the impact on small bodied ukes is more noticeable.

Top Bottom