Strings Fremont Blackline vs Anuenue Blackwater, same strings or not?

uke.seb

Reaction score
Hello!

I've made a research on the Internet and here on the forum, and someone else asked the question, but I didn't find the answer :

Are Fremont Blackline (Tenor strings), the same as the Anuenue Black Water?

They have the same spec, gauge, etc. And they sound very similar.

Did someone compare them?

I've read that someone tried both of them and told that que Fremont are more light than the Blackwater.

Based on a quick search, fremonts have a heavier gauge. It’s such a small difference in not sure it would change much. Possibly slightly more tension on the fremonts.

Anuenue black water
.020, .025, .029, .022

Fremont blackline
.022, .027, .031, .023

Based on a quick search, fremonts have a heavier gauge. It’s such a small difference in not sure it would change much. Possibly slightly more tension on the fremonts.

Anuenue black water
.020, .025, .029, .022

Fremont blackline
.022, .027, .031, .023
Those numbers are 5 to 10% apart. Looking at the Worth string chart, their light to medium to hard strings are 5 to 10% apart, so I think the difference should be noticeable.

I recently used a set of Fremont on my tenor uke, but the A string broke at the nut when it was in the gig bag. I wonder if it had to do with the tension. May try the aNuéNué ones.

This is good news to my ears because I only play dark strings for aesthetic reasons. I have been playing Fremonts for about 3 years and I haven't a complaint about them. I may try the anuenueueue the next time I get the bug to change strings. I only wish I knew if the concert sized black waters were long enough for a super tenor because that's how I'd like to roll with this.

Last edited:

Anuenue black water
.020, .025, .029, .022

Fremont blackline
.022, .027, .031, .023
Take care, here the gauge you tell about are the one from the Anuenue Clear Water, not the BlackWater.
The black Water have exactly the same gauge as the Fremont Blackline.

Those numbers are 5 to 10% apart. Looking at the Worth string chart, their light to medium to hard strings are 5 to 10% apart, so I think the difference should be noticeable.
He made a mistake, the gauge for the BlackWater and the Fremont Blackline are the same.
It's the clearWater that have a different gauge. But these are clear strings, not the black ones.

I recently used a set of Fremont on my tenor uke, but the A string broke at the nut when it was in the gig bag. I wonder if it had to do with the tension. May try the aNuéNué ones.
If it happens often, it can't be the strings but the slot on the nut that is too sharp, and you'll need to sand it a little bit. That happened to me once and the string broke 2 times. But it wasnt the string in fact.
I use Fremont for 5 years now, and they never broke for any reason.

Take care, here the gauge you tell about are the one from the Anuenue Clear Water, not the BlackWater.
The black Water have exactly the same gauge as the Fremont Blackline.
Oh weird. I got those numbers from the anuenue website here

But I see now that the string gauges in the description don’t change when you select the different types of strings in the drop down option

The description on the site of Anuenue is wrong when you update your choice..
Fremont vs.jpg

The fact that you had a problem with one Fremont Blackline A string does not mean Fremonts have an issue. I've been using them on multiple ukuleles for years without a single string break or any other problem. It could have been a rare faulty string but equally likely a nut slot issue or user error.

I also use Uke Logic strings and their A is thinner (0.020) than the Blackline (0.023). Uke logic usually gives the set two A strings though I've never seen one of those break either. I've got several extra A strings in my strings kit now.

Top Bottom