Great Expectations Reality Check

i think a very very good soprano for $185.- is really a good choice

http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/product.sc?productId=8&categoryId=3

im sure you dont get any good for less... seriously.. is not a u$s 500.- uke... but you can get quality... just my 2 cents.

That's the probably one of the best buys for a solid wood soprano that I've seen online srpompon but a little bit on the high side for me. One part of me say buy high end uke then if you don't like, you still have good resale value and the other side say buy cheap and minimize your risk. Devil on one shoulder and angel on the other. (btw, you're coming in on the devil side)

Just when I thought I was safe, you guys reel me back in. The choices keep getting better and better. I'm checking all the KPK reviews I can get a hold of. They seem to be all over the map with wood cracking at one extreme to high praise for sound and intonation at the other. I like the plainer look of KPK but Mainland seems to have a more consistent reliability record.

Just remember, a "high end" soprano is going to be closer to $800 and up. A $185 soprano is going to be middle of the road for mass produced ukes. Not to say it can't be nice, but just to elucidate a bit.

Just remember, a "high end" soprano is going to be closer to $800 and up. A $185 soprano is going to be middle of the road for mass produced ukes. Not to say it can't be nice, but just to elucidate a bit.

Point taken Gadzukes. Keeping it real is what I need. (Actually a uke is what I need) But I appreciate any and all the advice i can get. So mahalo and hopefully I can get myself out of this "analysis paralysis" soon.

Just when I thought I was safe, you guys reel me back in. The choices keep getting better and better. I'm checking all the KPK reviews I can get a hold of. They seem to be all over the map with wood cracking at one extreme to high praise for sound and intonation at the other. I like the plainer look of KPK but Mainland seems to have a more consistent reliability record.

LOL~ I'll be watching out to see what you decide in the end. I'm loving my laminate, but I suspect that I'll want a solid by Christmas. I'm actually leaning towards a Brueko No. 6 since I've a few friends in Germany who may be able to get it for me...but if you decide on either a Mainland or a KPK, I'll be interested in what you say about it after playing for a while. :)

As for the Mainland, I personally prefer the plainer slot-headed ones. I'm not that keen on the rope design going around the standard ones. And I rather like the looks of the mahogany over red cedar...but that's all personal preference. Not sure how different the sounds are between the two woods (ears not great enough yet).

I have a laminate Kala and two solid wood ukes, a Kamaka and a Kanile'a. The Kala sounds great, and I don't care a whit that it's a laminate. If anything I prefer it, because I know it's not as likely to have structural issues in the dry Colorado climate.

LOL~ I'll be watching out to see what you decide in the end. I'm loving my laminate, but I suspect that I'll want a solid by Christmas. I'm actually leaning towards a Brueko No. 6 since I've a few friends in Germany who may be able to get it for me...but if you decide on either a Mainland or a KPK, I'll be interested in what you say about it after playing for a while. :)

As for the Mainland, I personally prefer the plainer slot-headed ones. I'm not that keen on the rope design going around the standard ones. And I rather like the looks of the mahogany over red cedar...but that's all personal preference. Not sure how different the sounds are between the two woods (ears not great enough yet).

I agree, there's something about the rope design that bothers me. Maybe too flashy for my tastes. I was leaning toward a laminate until all of these UU guys started pointing out solid wood ukes with "reasonable" prices.

I have a laminate Kala and two solid wood ukes, a Kamaka and a Kanile'a. The Kala sounds great, and I don't care a whit that it's a laminate. If anything I prefer it, because I know it's not as likely to have structural issues in the dry Colorado climate.

My first choice was a laminate Islander Concert. Now I'm considering that a solid wood uke isn't that much more. What's happening here? You can't get UAS if you don't even have the first uke in hand can you?

The Islanders are excellent ukes from everything I hear. If it was me I'd start with the laminate. UAS will kick in after the first one, then you'll want a higher end solid. Save your pennies and watch for used ones.

The Islanders are excellent ukes from everything I hear. If it was me I'd start with the laminate. UAS will kick in after the first one, then you'll want a higher end solid. Save your pennies and watch for used ones.

Great minds think alike. I ordered an Islander concert MC-4 but had to return it because of a few blemishes. (small chip on the headstock and a couple at the bottom of the top plate and a little glue near the sound hole) The chips were finished and I could have rubbed the glue off but I got hung up thinking that a new uke should look better. Which is why I started this thread to get a "reality check" on my expectations.

And now we've come full circle. :)

Where did you buy from? I'd probably try again through one of the dealers previously mentioned, and just ask them to so a visual inspection and make sure there aren't any issues with it (so they know you're concerned about it).

The Islander you mentioned is actually one I would get if I want to try out the concert size. If you still want one, I can't recommend HMS enough. They will definitely check the uke for any cosmetic blemishes and give it a good setup.

Just to throw you another brand (haha!), I have also been looking at Kamoa concerts that are around the same price as an Islander, but are solid. Uke Republic and Mim has them. I've searched the boards and I think public opinion on Kamoa is split down the middle.

As for laminate vs. solids...ehhh, I don't know. If I have more money I'll get one just to see if there are any big differences in sound. But like what Gadzukes said, laminates are more hardy. I foresee myself lugging it around so I'm happy that I don't have to worry about humidity and what not.

My first choice was a laminate Islander Concert. Now I'm considering that a solid wood uke isn't that much more. What's happening here? You can't get UAS if you don't even have the first uke in hand can you?

Don't know why not. After all, you are looking to acquire a ukulele, aren't you?

And now we've come full circle. :)

Where did you buy from? I'd probably try again through one of the dealers previously mentioned, and just ask them to so a visual inspection and make sure there aren't any issues with it (so they know you're concerned about it).

The guy I got it from says all the Islanders have these small issues and because of that he would rather not try again. As he seems up front and honest, I think I'll try a different make of ukulele the next time.

I just placed my order for a Mainland Mahogany Concert!

Many thanks for all the good input and advice.

Congratulations! You will love it. Show us pix when it arrives!

Pics for sure. Mike said it would be about a 3 day turnaround to ship so I'm guessing next week some time I'll have a new uke!

That's exciting! Do you have all of your other necessary accessories? UAS is more than just ukes you know!

* Do you live in a dry climate? If so, you need some sort of humidifier so your uke doesn't crack and split.
* A song book. Get the Daily Ukulele—a little pricey, but oh so worth it.
* Music stand to hold your song book.
* A case for your uke. If you need to humidify it, a hardcase is your best bet as you can put a humidifier in it.

Top Bottom