Greetings from Oregon!

Howdy @ChaosLibrarian! I used to live in Grants Pass, and you'll find a lot of other Oregon folks here! You'll also find lots of other folks -- including me! -- for whom the uke is a key tool for mental health and general well-being.

Since there are so many ways to uke, I always like asking, what kind of stuff do you tend to play?

Thanks so much for making your way to us!

Uke nerd in Eugene, reporting for duty! I'm a life-long singer, but only picked up the Uke studiously in the last 4 years or so. Once I got good enough that playing was fun, the ukulele became an essential component to my over-all well-being and quality of life.
Welcome! It’s a wealth of information here. Love to visit Oregon. Such a beautiful place.

Hi ChaosLibrarian, welcome to the UU Forum.

I started to play ukulele so I could accompany my singing. Always wanted to play guitar, but I just couldn't get very far. Ukuleles are far easier to get started with and go from there.

I truly enjoy belonging to a ukulele club. It's great fun to strum & sing along with others.

Welcome to the UU Forum! Sounds like the ukulele has become solidly embedded into your life. Glad to hear you’re enjoying the journey!

Jan D.
(who lives just up the road from you, in Corvallis)

Hello @ChaosLibrarian !!!
I am originally from Oregon and I can personally vouch for the vibrant ukulele scene in Eugene. You are sure to have a blast there! I can't wait to visit my friends and relations in Oregon. Like @TimWilson, I am curious to know what kind of music you like to sing and play. Cheers from chilly Switzerland.

Wow, what a delightful welcome! Thank you!
@TimWilson I play whatever strikes my fancy and feels good to be working on! I've got some classics from the Daily Ukulele songbooks, a bit of Brandi Carlile and P!nk, some Jimmy Buffett, Fiona Apple, Amanda Palmer, songs from the show Steven Universe...and so on. I do strums and some simpler fingerstyle. I'm currently working my way through Aaron Keim's Fingerstyle Ukulele to skill up a bit. Once November gets rolling it'll be time to obsess over holiday songs.
I tend to favor low-g, unless I get a song lodged in my brain that works better in high-g. Currently driving a concert Luna High Tide in low-g, and a concert Oscar Schmidt koa in high-g. Got a tenor Beansprout in the pipeline though. Can't wait!

Welcome to the UU forums - I'm a little north and west of you on Vancouver Island. So exciting that you've got a Beansprout in the pipe! Looking forward to a NUD (New Ukulele Day) post when you get a chance to get to know it and if you feel like sharing (we love NUDs here). It sounds like you've got a great selection of music that you enjoy, perfect!

Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself to us. It's nice to "meet" you 😊

Wow, what a delightful welcome! Thank you!
@TimWilson I play whatever strikes my fancy and feels good to be working on! I've got some classics from the Daily Ukulele songbooks, a bit of Brandi Carlile and P!nk, some Jimmy Buffett, Fiona Apple, Amanda Palmer, songs from the show Steven Universe...and so on. I do strums and some simpler fingerstyle. I'm currently working my way through Aaron Keim's Fingerstyle Ukulele to skill up a bit. Once November gets rolling it'll be time to obsess over holiday songs.
I tend to favor low-g, unless I get a song lodged in my brain that works better in high-g. Currently driving a concert Luna High Tide in low-g, and a concert Oscar Schmidt koa in high-g. Got a tenor Beansprout in the pipeline though. Can't wait!

Thanks for letting us know, @ChaosLibrarian! When you get a chance, you should check out the song library here at Ukulele Underground. The two most recent entries are Jimmy Buffet's Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes, and while not Steven-specific, the other new title is a fingerstyle arrangement of Bink's Brew from One Piece. UU founder Aldrine Guerrero does a bunch of anime- and animation-related titles (and in fact performed a ukulele version of The Simpsons theme for one of the opening couch gags on that show).

Changes includes the full strumming, singing, and picking tabs, but Bink's Brew requires a membership to get to the lesson...but click through to listen to the playback of the arrangement. I think you'll dig it!

And just because your introductory post made me think of it, I had my Powell's t-shirt on today! Very overcast when I took it, so I'm very, very backlit, but you'll get the idea. :) Greetz from Kaneohe Bay on Oahu!

PXL_20231017_195124012.jpg

Top Bottom