Hello from Langley, British Columbia Canada!

Welcome. We love your neck of the woods. Some beautiful scenery around you as well as lovely people.

Hi @therealsimon! Add me to the list of BC lovers! One of my favorite parts of the planet!

I'd love to hear more about the Langley Ukulele Ensemble! How big a group is it? What's your repertoire?

Thanks so much for finding us, and thanks for introducing yourself!

Aloha,
Tim
Mod

Welcome to UU, Simon!
Having a bass adds so much to a group of ukes. Have fun growing therepertoire and the uke ensemble!

Langley is a nice place. I can drive to it from Burnaby faster than I can get to the west side of vancouver these days. What's your local music store?

Hi @therealsimon! Add me to the list of BC lovers! One of my favorite parts of the planet!

I'd love to hear more about the Langley Ukulele Ensemble! How big a group is it? What's your repertoire?

Aloha,
Tim
Mod
Wow! From Wikipedia:
The ensemble is internationally renowned and considered to be one of the top ukulele performing ensembles in the world. They were prominently featured in the 2008 award-winning document film, Mighty Uke.[1][2]

Welcome to the UU forums! It's lovely to have you aboard. And wow, the Langley Ukulele Ensemble. That's very cool. Please make sure to keep us posted about performances and events on our Ukulele Events board. There are many, many people who look for ukulele related events that land on our forum, and we want our members to promote their events!

Welcome to the UU forums! It's lovely to have you aboard. And wow, the Langley Ukulele Ensemble. That's very cool. Please make sure to keep us posted about performances and events on our Ukulele Events board. There are many, many people who look for ukulele related events that land on our forum, and we want our members to promote their events!
Will do! :)

Aloha,
Tim
Mod
Hey!

The group is made up of about 25 members with ages raging from 12-17. Our director is Paul Luongo who is the son of the founder/previous director Peter Luongo.

Currently we are doing Christmas music ranging from hymns/christmas carols telling the Christmas story all the way to classics like Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. Speaking of which, we actually have a show at the chief seipass theater in Fort Langley BC on the 16th where we will be performing it.

Outside of the Holiday season we perform songs from different generations, (50s, 60s, 70s, 80s.) We also perform plenty of International songs.

Simon

My name is Simon, and I am currently a member of the Langley Ukulele Ensemble, and I am also their Double Bassist.

Hi Simon

Double bass is a wonderful instrument, and bassists are welcome at sessions in many genres.

Are you aware of the Fraser Valley Bluegrass and Oldtime society sessions in Langley on Fridays 7-10 pm?

They play at the United Church at 5623 200 Street.

Bluegrass and Oldtime jams are great for expanding repertoire and technique. Players are happy to show off techniques and tips.

Savvy players keep good time, and sometimes slide in a bit of swing, blues, syncopation, and irregular time.

It’s also a way to find private jams and paying gigs.

Cheers.

Hi Simon

Double bass is a wonderful instrument, and bassists are welcome at sessions in many genres.

Are you aware of the Fraser Valley Bluegrass and Oldtime society sessions in Langley on Fridays 7-10 pm?

They play at the United Church at 5623 200 Street.

Bluegrass and Oldtime jams are great for expanding repertoire and technique. Players are happy to show off techniques and tips.

Savvy players keep good time, and sometimes slide in a bit of swing, blues, syncopation, and irregular time.

It’s also a way to find private jams and paying gigs.

Cheers.
Awesome!

I'd love to make it, but sadly I have another commitment at that time, but thank you so much for the heads up!

Simon

Welcome to the UU Forum, Simon. Originally from Nova Scotia (the land of J. Chalmers Doane, who I’m sure you know about), I moved to Vancouver during the early ‘90’s. Unfortunately, I didn’t know about Peter Luongo’s ukulele ensemble at that time. I’m down in Oregon now, but my brother still lives up your way, in Surrey, not far from Cloverdale and Langley. In any case, as one Canuck to another, I’m glad you found your way to the UU Forum. Lots of friendly, supportive, helpful people here. It’s a great place to hang out. :)

Hello from the UK and welcome to UU! I'm definitely in the "four strings good" camp but my double bass usually gets festooned with Christmas lights for several weeks at this time of year as a surrogate Christmas tree, as there usually isn't enough room for both.

Welcome to the UU Forum Simon. I'm glad I'm speaking to the real one. ;)

Very cool uke group the Langley Ukulele Ensemble. Without a good bassist, you just have chaos. (Maybe. ;);))

Enjoy the forum.

Top Bottom