Help Please - Nut fell off đŸ˜„

SkeeterAB

Reaction score
I was changing strings for the first time on a used ukulele and the nut fell completely off. What should I do? Should I glue it back on with superglue? Is there anything I need to know to make sure I do not mess that up?
I have changed string on about 12 different ukes, but never had this happen. I was putting on new strings because I was going to loan it to a friend tomorrow. I swear I was incredibly gentle loosening the strings before I took them off so I have no idea why this happened.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1897.jpegIMG_1895.jpeg

And put it back in the correct orientation. 😉
Sometimes they aren't even glued. No big deal. A dab of glue will keep it there.

Look at it (and the slot) with a magnifying glass. You may find it wasn't glued in to begin with. By design, and it's a good fit, the strings may have held it in place. My Kamehameha SP-10's nut is glued in.

I wouldn't use CA or any "Gorilla" glue as that will likely cause damage if you need to remove the nut in the future.

Like @badhabits said, a tiny drop of "primary school" Elmers will be enough to hold it in place while you put the strings back on.

Super glue/CA wouldn't have been my first choice, hopefully you used just a tiny bit. You might want to adjust side to side a bit once strings are installed. That one looks like it wasn't glued at all, which is fine, many are not.

Super glue/CA wouldn't have been my first choice, hopefully you used just a tiny bit. You might want to adjust side to side a bit once strings are installed. That one looks like it wasn't glued at all, which is fine, many are not.
Thanks for the advice. I will keep that in mind for next time. I will also buy some Elmer’s and wood glue to have on hand.

Look at it (and the slot) with a magnifying glass. You may find it wasn't glued in to begin with. By design, and it's a good fit, the strings may have held it in place. My Kamehameha SP-10's nut is glued in.

I wouldn't use CA or any "Gorilla" glue as that will likely cause damage if you need to remove the nut in the future.

Like @badhabits said, a tiny drop of "primary school" Elmers will be enough to hold it in place while you put the strings back on.
That is what I get for being impatient. Thank you for the advice. I will certainly remember it for next time.

When I change strings, I usually do two at a time to prevent the nut or the bridge from falling off. It also allows me to copy the knots or orientation of the ones still strung.
Good point. With a string through bridge I usually take all the strings off because it makes it easier to get my hand in there, but I will leave one string on next time. I usually take a picture before I take the old strings off so I can copy the knots if I liked them.

I was changing strings for the first time on a used ukulele and the nut fell completely off. What should I do? Should I glue it back on with superglue? Is there anything I need to know to make sure I do not mess that up?
I have changed string on about 12 different ukes, but never had this happen. I was putting on new strings because I was going to loan it to a friend tomorrow. I swear I was incredibly gentle loosening the strings before I took them off so I have no idea why this happened.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It’s all too late for the OP now but:

I believe that it was never glued down and that that slotted design is fine that way.

If a nut is glued down then IMHO is should just be with a spot of wood glue to hold it in place. Nuts should be considered consumable items, sometimes they do need replacing and if they’re secured by more than a small dot of glue then they’ll be hard to remove.

Last edited:
...it is taking me a great deal of willpower not to make an off color joke about nuts falling off.

Slightly off topic but what uke is that?
It is a beautiful Kamehameha solid top Tiger Maple Concert KC-28 that I bought from Boofa. The bling may be a bit over the top, but it is so pretty it just makes me smile. It get oohs and aahs from at least a few people whenever I bring it out to play with others. I honestly just bought it because I could not resist the blue ombré tiger maple. This is one of two ukes I bought based on looks alone. Unlike my beautiful, but tiny turtle inlay sopranissino, this one gets played:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom