How do you clean/maintain your uke?

uh, handwash with soap and water... hand sanitizer in a pinch...

just kidding.

Soft cloth to remove dust and fingerprints. Bore oil on fretboard to keep it from drying out, particularly with rosewood fretboards... do that when changing out strings. And before you ask, bore oil is the oil also used on the wooden "bore" of clarinets, oboes, etc. I would be really hesitant to use anything with harsh chemicals in it on the finish.

Guitar polish and fretboard oil. Currently using Dunlop products, but most brands work as well. Lemon Pledge is reputed to work well, too.
I agree with ichadwick. Dunlop makes good products...just make sure the polish you buy for the body is non-silicone.

I use the Sham-Wow.
LOL Deach!!!! Sweet!!! I use my Slap Chopper to make rosette pieces ;-p

I use Dr Ducks Axe Wax, which surprisingly has no wax in it.

It's good for the fretboard and strings as well as the body.

I have a month old Fluke, with some shiny spots already from strumming and my arm resting on top of the soundboard. It doesn't have a gloss finish and I'm not too sure what it'd be called exactly,but what's a good way to clean those spots off?

I have a month old Fluke, with some shiny spots already from strumming and my arm resting on top of the soundboard. It doesn't have a gloss finish and I'm not too sure what it'd be called exactly,but what's a good way to clean those spots off?

It happens - tough to reverse it. I found with my fluke, next stage is you will wear through to the wood. Their finishes are really not very thick. No worries, makes it look like its been played!

For my ukes generally, just a dry soft cloth. Once a year max I may put bore oil on fingerboard. Max!

One trick I picked up from a luthier friend waaaaay back was Turtle Wax beats Gibson polish any day. I've used it for over (gulp) 40 years with great results. A little dab'll do ya, as we dinos say. I'd love to hear a luthier here affirm that or cringe in horror, but I'll continue with the Turtle Wax, even though I still don't get how they get wax from a turtle...

I use the same logic I attempted to apply as a child when my mother had an obsession with the cleanliness of my ears. "Isn't that potentially harmful?"

I simply give a huff over the surface and wipe with a microfiber cloth with every play.

Um, you’re supposed to clean your uke?

Actually, Chuck, you'd be the one to ask this: Gibson Guitar Polish or Turtle Wax?
I commented on that 10 years ago. I used to use Meguiare’s Carnuba wax. These days I’m thinking ceramic coatings, similar to what the auto detainers use. I know it;s 10X better than wax on cars as far as longevity goes so I’ll be trying it soon on my next batch of ukes. When it comes to finishing, sanding, buffing and preserving a finish we take our cues from the automotive industry. Nobody uses wax anymore on cars.

I commented on that 10 years ago. I used to use Meguiare’s Carnuba wax. These days I’m thinking ceramic coatings, similar to what the auto detainers use. I know it;s 10X better than wax on cars as far as longevity goes so I’ll be trying it soon on my next batch of ukes. When it comes to finishing, sanding, buffing and preserving a finish we take our cues from the automotive industry. Nobody uses wax anymore on cars.
I'm going there next time. No more Turtle Wax. Safer on finishes. Safer on turtles! Thanks for the tip. God I love this place...

My ukes are matte finish.

I use a new sable blush brush. You don't want leftover makeup on your uke.

Flannel dust cloths, and a child size soft toothbrush for frets, from the dollar store. No liquids except a damp Q-Tip for spots that won't brush or dust off.

1700936901160.png

Last edited:
I just use whatever guitar polish I have and make sure to use a clean rag.

I wash my hands before I play...

When necessary, cotton T-shirt with Gibson guitar polish.

Top Bottom