How do YOU pronounce "ukulele"?

How do YOU pronounce "ukulele"?

• It's "yoo-keh lay-lee".

Votes: 76 36.7%
  • It's "oo-koo leh-leh".

Votes: 131 63.3%

• Total voters
For the most part this thread has been a pleasure to read, but there are a few of you (you know who you are) who are running dangerously close to turning it into a pissing contest. Please do not do that.

Take a deep breath, and think before your next post:

“We’re all friends here…”

In case you are wondering, I'm a "one warning" type of Coyote.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Maybe we should just come up with a symbol, like Prince did. It could be "the instrument formerly known as a Yook-u-lele or Ook-o-lele".

I probably did it for the same reason that you delighted in giving your friend a hard time about "zebra".
Gee! You mean you're anal retentive about language like me, too? A fellow sufferer! I think Lynn Truss is in our august company.
But, the important thing is that you acknowledge my superior knowledge. :shaka:
I don't dispute your knowledge. It's the pedestal it's on that raise my hackles.

You're a bright guy and I actually enjoy reading your posts (most of the time). I even enjoy the verbal jousts between us because, although they may be a little barbed at times, they are nevertheless entertaining and often informative. I have a thick skin, too.

You seem like an interesting, well-educated character. Just a little bit of a chip on the shoulder, but we can cure that if you stick around long enough. Ukuleles mellow everyone out. Come on, don't deny it. That brought a smile to your face, didn't it?

Group hug, anyone? :anyone:​

Gee! You mean you're anal retentive about language like me, too? A fellow sufferer! I think Lynn Truss is in our august company.

I don't dispute your knowledge. It's the pedestal it's on that raise my hackles.

You're a bright guy and I actually enjoy reading your posts (most of the time). I even enjoy the verbal jousts between us because, although they may be a little barbed at times, they are nevertheless entertaining and often informative. I have a thick skin, too.

You seem like an interesting, well-educated character. Just a little bit of a chip on the shoulder, but we can cure that if you stick around long enough. Ukuleles mellow everyone out. Come on, don't deny it. That brought a smile to your face, didn't it?

Group hug, anyone? :anyone:​

:shaka:

I will say this. The hawaiian language was more than just words to the people. Cheifs and preists were feared for their chants, their mana. There's a saying, "in language is life, in language is death." Its in hawaiian, but I don't remember it off the top of my head. Anyway, this shows how powerful language was for the hawaiians, language had the power to bring forth life, and it had the power to deal death.
Much of this carries over today. This is why so many hawaiians will correct you when you pronounce a hawaiian word wrong, even if it may be a loanword. The 'ukulele is especially a touchy word for hawaiians because its such a cultural icon. Its different from how you pronounce salad or if you can read english from any century. That's why many hawaiians get offended, that's why we will correct you and that's why it seems like it doesn't go both ways. I understand that yes, it does seem like a one way street, but I'm not aware of any other culture as proud of its language and culture. This is why the term "the proud hawaiians" was born.

And again, I'm not trying to start another argument, debate or whatever, I just want you to see this side of the fence.

I will say this. The hawaiian language was more than just words to the people. Cheifs and preists were feared for their chants, their mana. There's a saying, "in language is life, in language is death." Its in hawaiian, but I don't remember it off the top of my head. Anyway, this shows how powerful language was for the hawaiians, language had the power to bring forth life, and it had the power to deal death.
Much of this carries over today. This is why so many hawaiians will correct you when you pronounce a hawaiian word wrong, even if it may be a loanword. The 'ukulele is especially a touchy word for hawaiians because its such a cultural icon. Its different from how you pronounce salad or if you can read english from any century. That's why many hawaiians get offended, that's why we will correct you and that's why it seems like it doesn't go both ways. I understand that yes, it does seem like a one way street, but I'm not aware of any other culture as proud of its language and culture. This is why the term "the proud hawaiians" was born.

And again, I'm not trying to start another argument, debate or whatever, I just want you to see this side of the fence.

i ke `olelo no ke ola, i ke `olelo no ka make.

there's many cultures that are very watchful about the appropriation of their language/culture. not just Hawaiian.

`Olelo Hawai`i is an oral language. it was codified by outside minds. hence you get weird interpretations like t or k sounds (ie.`utulele) people are reading a western interpretation of the hua`olelo. hence they read it with a western frame. the `okina actually stunts that prolonged "u" sound, but since it's now spelled in contemporary times sans the `okina, it creates a whole new modern word.

ua pau.

Last edited:
To me it's about respect. I went out of my way to learn to pronounce it as the Hawaiians do to show my respect for them and the instrument.

To be clear - I don't expect others to do the same, nor do I think pronunciation is required to show respect, but that was my reason.

For the most part this thread has been a pleasure to read, but there are a few of you (you know who you are) who are running dangerously close to turning it into a pissing contest. Please do not do that.

Take a deep breath, and think before your next post:

“We’re all friends here…”

In case you are wondering, I'm a "one warning" type of Coyote.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Wow! That didn't take long. :biglaugh:

stalin.jpg

To me it's about respect. I went out of my way to learn to pronounce it as the Hawaiians do to show my respect for them and the instrument.

To be clear - I don't expect others to do the same, nor do I think pronunciation is required to show respect, but that was my reason.

And this is how I like it. Our new badass mod just got more badass.

I can't get myself to say "uke"

I used to think "ukulele" (oo-koo-leh-leh) and "uke" were interchangeable. Then, I was told "uke" ribs at Ukrainians and was made to feel miserable. Also, if anyone is familiar with anime, there's sub-group of young anime fans who have commandeered "uke" (pronounced differently) for themselves. It's an association I'd be fine avoiding with my ukulele.

Should those from the United Kingdom and/or those from the continental United States feel insulted when Pacific islanders pronounce the word "brother" as "braddah"? I think not. Being a mix breed of Scottish/German/Somalian (dad's side) and Japanese/Dutch (mom's side) along with being married to a Tagalog/Ilocano Filipina, I commonly hear many pronunciations of English words. It does not insult me. It's diversity. If everyone was the same, this would be a dull world. Ric

Should those from the United Kingdom and/or those from the continental United States feel insulted when Pacific islanders pronounce the word "brother" as "braddah"? I think not. Being a mix breed of Scottish/German/Somalian (dad's side) and Japanese/Dutch (mom's side) along with being married to a Tagalog/Ilocano Filipina, I commonly hear many pronunciations of English words. It does not insult me. It's diversity. If everyone was the same, this would be a dull world. Ric

It is simply natural for a language, when adopting a loanword, to alter it to match its phonic scheme. The "ook" folks would be pulling their hair out in Japan, where "salad dressing" is "sarada doresshingu", "beer" is "biiru", and "coffee" is "koohii".

"Why can't you guys respect the true pronunciation of 'hotel'?!", they would scream.

It is simply natural for a language, when adopting a loanword, to alter it to match its phonic scheme. The "ook" folks would be pulling their hair out in Japan, where "salad dressing" is "sarada doresshingu", "beer" is "biiru", and "coffee" is "koohii".

"Why can't you guys respect the true pronunciation of 'hotel'?!", they would scream.

By "ook folks" I assume you mean people who strive for it to be pronounced 'ukulele. IF SO, then you're wrong, because like I keep saying, the 'ukulele goes beyond just being a word. Its not just a salad, for some its something spiritual, something that picks you p when you're down, and it seems like its those people who want to pronounce it the hawaiian way.

Alright, time to let this thread fade away. It's obvious no one is going to change anyone else's mind. It's pointless to debate it at this point, and now all we're doing is making jokes.

Let it die.

Until it's inevitably brought up again.

Top Bottom