How do you store your ukuleles?

Reaction score
I finally got around to getting all of my ukuleles hung up. I used to keep most of them in the cases, but found that I only would play whatever was already out. I keep my office at a stable 50-55% humidity, so I am hoping that having them always out won't be an issue.

Attachments

• PXL_20240415_060057466.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240415_060057466.MP.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I keep mine in their cases but they are easy to grab and play, I thought about hanging them at the walls but I'm afraid of the dust on the strings and tuners' mechanics.

In the Winter they are cased with humidifiers. In the Summer they are out on hooks or stands.

Here is how I used to keep them before adding the additional wall mounts. Now those cases are all in the basement. I have an evaporative humidifier on 24/7 and feel more comfortable keeping them out of the cases because of the Govee humidity sensor that I have in my office. I get alerts on my phone if the humidity is ever too low or high. I will say, it's kind of like taking care of fish when you leave your ukuleles out lol.

Attachments

• PXL_20220401_230146765.jpg
    PXL_20220401_230146765.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 65
Mine all live in their cases. The living beings here, (human and canine), might be hard on anything left out of a case. And I have no problem playing them all even though I have to get them out of their cases. Maybe I need more ukuleles? :ROFLMAO:
But it seems like the safest thing is to keep them in cases, (with case humidifiers as necessary and room humidifier(s) as necessary as well.)

I have all mine mounted on the wall -- or should I say walls -- with String Swing ukulele or guitar hangers. Low humidity is rarely a problem here, and the odd time that the overnight temperature drops enough that the music room may be a little cooler than ideal, I'll put a few of the older ones in cases. For the most part, though, I want them on display. They're beautiful objects, and if they've remained intact for twenty or thirty or seventy years, I'm certainly not going to worry about them being damaged by minor fluctuations of temperature or humidity, much less by a little bit of dust.

Mine hang on the wall, since the indoor humidity where I live is generally in the 44-52 range year round. For those occasional times when it drops near the 40 mark, I have a portable humidifier that keeps the ukes happy.

I straddle the fence on this issue. I keep mine in cases, but I hang the cases on the wall. I've never been very sympathetic to the argument that encased ukes are a case of outta sight, outta mind. It only takes five seconds to open a case.

I hang my six tenor cutaway thinlines on a slat-wall rack along with my Hadean violin/Hofner style bass ukes. I keep a tray of water below the tenors since most are solid wood.

Wall rack 4-2024.jpeg

In their cases until needed.
I do however, keep one right beside me here so when the mood strikes, it's at hand

I spent the last six months in Colorado Springs where the humidity is ridiculously low, and the furnace is on 24/7. I only had my Cotone soprano and the Pono MS tenor that I bought when I first arrived. Needless to say, they stayed in their cases with humidifier packs. Even so, the frets on the Pono started to sprout just a bit. In early April I returned home to Japan but we live in the mountains and the heat stays on through most of May. I'm now reunited with my entire collection (except the Enya Nova that lives at our cabin). But they are still all in their cases with humidifier packs. Once it warms up and the humidity rises they will all come out of hibernation and hang on the walls or rest on stands until October or there abouts. But I keep the cases right near my desk or next to my bed for easy access.

Here is how I used to keep them before adding the additional wall mounts. Now those cases are all in the basement. I have an evaporative humidifier on 24/7 and feel more comfortable keeping them out of the cases because of the Govee humidity sensor that I have in my office. I get alerts on my phone if the humidity is ever too low or high. I will say, it's kind of like taking care of fish when you leave your ukuleles out lol.
I like that stand for the cases. Did you make that yourself? If not, could you tell us where you got it?

I hang my six tenor cutaway thinlines on a slat-wall rack along with my Hadean violin/Hofner style bass ukes. I keep a tray of water below the tenors since most are solid wood.

View attachment 172574
Wow, you probably have the most specific uke collection I have ever seen! It's very clear that you have a style of ukulele you prefer :)

I like that stand for the cases. Did you make that yourself? If not, could you tell us where you got it?
It is a String Swing guitar case rack. I had to order an extra cross bar piece (I called String Swing and they shipped me one for $20) so that the soprano cases don't fall through, but it holds the Tenor cases perfectly as is. It's solid ash wood and has a nice finish to it; highly recommended.

For folks leaving their ukuleles out, the Govee humidity sensors on Amazon are awesome. I have the WIFI one with a display and it was around $30. It continuously monitors humidity and sends me alerts when readings go outside of the ranges I set.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240507-104105.png
    Screenshot_20240507-104105.png
    132.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20240507-104033.png
    Screenshot_20240507-104033.png
    62.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20240507-104041.png
    Screenshot_20240507-104041.png
    75.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20240507-104046.png
    Screenshot_20240507-104046.png
    75.8 KB · Views: 24
Nice case stand! Would you mind sharing where you got it?

Last edited:
I have a rambunctious child, troublemaker cats, and an old house with no humidity control so my solid wood ukes live in cases. I use in-case hygrometers from Govee and Boveda humidity packs. I bought a case stand for my cases. I currently need another, but it looks like they shut down their Etsy shop.

I recently bought a whiskey barrel stave wall uke holder for holding my laminate Ukes. The seller was great. He sells a 3 guitar holder. I asked him if he could put them closer together and make it a 4 Uke holder. He did that and did not charge more.

Attachments

• IMG_1496.jpeg
    IMG_1496.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 30
I straddle the fence on this issue. I keep mine in cases, but I hang the cases on the wall. I've never been very sympathetic to the argument that encased ukes are a case of outta sight, outta mind. It only takes five seconds to open a case.
How do you hang the cases on the wall? All my solid wood ukes are in cases and floor space is at a premium in my small house.

I know 3 post in a row is a bit much for one thread, but I really do need storage help so I hope you all can forgive my impertinence.

Top Bottom