Is there such a thing as a 'silent' ukulele?

Mine's pretty quiet when I hold it underwater...

Mine's pretty quiet when I hold it underwater...

Haaahhhhh ...Say it isn't so .....You try to drown your Ukulele ??.....oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!

Still ,I kill mine with shame every time I pick it up "Oooh nooo please don't make me ,no no no no"

Lori is right in post #11: the Risa sticks, when unplugged, are as quiet as I've ever owned because they have no body. True.

Lori and cool are correct. Risa sticks are virtually silent when unplugged. I travel with mine. I've gotten some interesting comments and questions from TSA personnel. "Q: Sir, what's this object in your bag? A: an ukulele." Reaction: smiles.

Last edited:
It's a bit bigger than a Risa but it might fit your needs: Silent-Electric-Ukulele. I stopped at their place a few weeks ago and bought multiple instruments but not this one. Leilei's a nice lady.

I've got a Vox Eukelectric. I don't bother with headphones because it was awkward. I can hear it fine without turning it on. I use the onboard amp and speaker when I don't have to be as quite and in my lesson. And plugged into a good amp with a little reverb it sounds great. My instructor is a jazz guitarist and he actually borrowed it and played a few uke chord solo's on his last gig!

It's a bit bigger than a Risa but it might fit your needs: Silent-Electric-Ukulele. I stopped at their place a few weeks ago and bought multiple instruments but not this one. Leilei's a nice lady.

FYI: That SAME instrument is sold as SOJING (as in mine & photoshooter's previous posts), Harmonia, and 3-4 other brands as most Asian factory made ukes:

As per my previous post, and previous threads, you can find this Sojing silent ukulele also on Amazon:

Concert:
http://www.amazon.com/Harmonia-UKLL-2AX-Silent-Electric-Ukulele/dp/B0103L6180/

Tenor:
http://www.amazon.com/Sojing-Ukll-ax1-Silent-Electric-Ukulele/dp/B0074ECMDI/

The Amazon seller Delfy Music is in fact the same person/company as the eBay seller Traderfiasco/Jimmy's Music, and is based in NJ, which is where I got mine from. There are other sellers of this SAME instrument under different brand names across eBay worldwide.

I own a baritone Eleuke, steel string. The intonation is very poor but if that wasn't the case it would be an ideal "silent" uke. I'm looking for a nylon version of that. Pono has one but it is chambered so acoustically it is far from silent. Teton doesn't make a baritone.

I have been in close contact with Zivix, the makers of the JamStik for a long time...ultimately, the JamStik is a small 6 string, five fret guitar MIDI controller. The intended use was as a educational tool (but not for traditional music education) so that you could learn guitar on real strings using an iOS device (now also some Android devices). It has also become a nice way for guitarists to get MIDI data into programs, either notation or DAWs.

I have been encouraging them to make a ukulele version (put the extra 10 sensors from the two missing strings under the existing 5 frets, and add 2...making 8 frets total), which would be another nearly silent solution...not to mention a great way for ukulele players to enter MIDI data in notation and so on.

Such a device would likely be in the same $279 range (they are often on sale at this price range). Do you think people would be interested? If so...feel free to go to Jamstik/Zivix and let them know that you would be interested in such a device.

I have been in close contact with Zivix, the makers of the JamStik for a long time...ultimately, the JamStik is a small 6 string, five fret guitar MIDI controller. The intended use was as a educational tool (but not for traditional music education) so that you could learn guitar on real strings using an iOS device (now also some Android devices). It has also become a nice way for guitarists to get MIDI data into programs, either notation or DAWs.

I have been encouraging them to make a ukulele version (put the extra 10 sensors from the two missing strings under the existing 5 frets, and add 2...making 8 frets total), which would be another nearly silent solution...not to mention a great way for ukulele players to enter MIDI data in notation and so on.

Such a device would likely be in the same $279 range (they are often on sale at this price range). Do you think people would be interested? If so...feel free to go to Jamstik/Zivix and let them know that you would be interested in such a device.

I would buy one of these in a heartbeat if it had at least a 1.375" nut and 12 frets, even if ONLY to enter MIDI notes into an iPad so I can have accurate transcription of my compositions, of exactly how they were played.

I have the app MIDI GUITAR for both iPad and Mac versions, and the note recognition is glitchy and I get frustrated with the constant tweaking that never improves anything. Software-pitch recognition has come a long way, but (polyphonic) still has a long ways yet to go.

I also have had a Casio DG-20 and Yamaha EZ-EG digital guitar-shaped MIDI controllers, which have sensors in the fretboard for each fret (Casio) or actual buttons that you press at each fret (Yamaha) and they too are also glitchy and alter the playfeel too much to be useful.

At one time I had interest in and almost bought the YouRock MIDI guitar, but that is similar to what the combination of the Casio & Yamaha above might be, and has a rubber fretboard and rubber string-lines in-between rubber frets and given my previous experience, I figured I just might get angry enough to grab it by the neck and smash it like Pete Townsend became famous for, so I opted out and figured that my $300 might be better spent elsewhere.

Last edited:

Ever since I first saw a JamStik video I've been hoping for an ukulele version of the product.
I guess you could say I'm VERY interested. :)

Another vote for the RISA tenor stick. (They come in different scales.) It has no headsock per se, so it's light, small, and virtually silent. During recent daily visits to the hospital, I brought it with me and the only comments I had when I played it where from the staff that wondered what it was. In such an environment, I didn't need to amplify it all. I am extremely happy with mine. Just keep in mind that the neck is a little thick.

Last edited:

I just sent an email expressing my interest.
One would have to assume that an ukulele version of the product is a natural progression from the current version.

I know I am pulling up an old thread but this has been helpful to me.

I really wanted a uke to play at night that was quite. I tried a few different tricks to get my “traditional” Ukuleles quite but the wife could still here me even if I was out side. So, I Ended up here.

BC213646-E271-484E-AAB1-F89CC89DD3E2.jpg

I am still new at this Ukulele playing and did t feel like my time was well spent trying to get some electronics working on something then also possibly sorry about a setup. I got the Risa Stick from Ukerepublic and the Vox headphone amp from amazon. I am surprised how well it works through the Apple ear buds. I had been looking at the mini mixer reference earlier in this thread, but it has been discontinued.

Thanks for the help everyone

I know I am pulling up an old thread but this has been helpful to me.

I really wanted a uke to play at night that was quite. I tried a few different tricks to get my “traditional” Ukuleles quite but the wife could still here me even if I was out side. So, I Ended up here.

View attachment 109444

I am still new at this Ukulele playing and did t feel like my time was well spent trying to get some electronics working on something then also possibly sorry about a setup. I got the Risa Stick from Ukerepublic and the Vox headphone amp from amazon. I am surprised how well it works through the Apple ear buds. I had been looking at the mini mixer reference earlier in this thread, but it has been discontinued.

Thanks for the help everyone

I'm glad to hear of your solution/acquisition. :)

The RISA/Vox combo is likely the simplest solution, and the BUILD quality on the RISA stick has always been very high.

This model, and the one I spoke about here: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...ing-as-a-silent-ukulele&p=1735429#post1735429

are likely to be even quieter than even the Teton or Eleuke models on account of having so little actual wood to resonate at all.

Uke Republic is also a good vendor.

Best of luck with it! :music:

Not wholly related this this thread, Zivix is in the process of selling their next models on Indiegogo, a 7 fret and 12 fret version. They are at $300,000 with twenty days remaining (meeting their goal by 400%). There is some new technology with these (replacing the existing infrared sensors, for example) as this company is always pushing the boundaries with the newest solutions (they were one of the first companies to move to Bluetooth MIDI, which is pretty great).

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-new-jamstik-guitars-for-learning-creating-iphone-bluetooth#/

No ukulele model yet—but some of you that play guitar might be interested in this version of the JamStik. I will be visiting the company this summer (they are local—still a 50 minute drive, but local) for the first time, and I’m looking forward to that (in the past, I had visited MakeMusic, the company that makes Finale and SmartMusic, when it was still in Minnesota)

Not wholly related this this thread, Zivix is in the process of selling their next models on Indiegogo, a 7 fret and 12 fret version. They are at $300,000 with twenty days remaining (meeting their goal by 400%). There is some new technology with these (replacing the existing infrared sensors, for example) as this company is always pushing the boundaries with the newest solutions (they were one of the first companies to move to Bluetooth MIDI, which is pretty great).

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-new-jamstik-guitars-for-learning-creating-iphone-bluetooth#/

No ukulele model yet—but some of you that play guitar might be interested in this version of the JamStik. I will be visiting the company this summer (they are local—still a 50 minute drive, but local) for the first time, and I’m looking forward to that (in the past, I had visited MakeMusic, the company that makes Finale and SmartMusic, when it was still in Minnesota)

Good info here Chris. Thanks for bring this out for all of us to see. :)

A 12 fret version is a nice improvement. I would have bought one of these already if they had a 15 fret version, even if only to use via MIDI to accurately capture the performance of my own compositions and more easily create standard notation sheet music from the MIDI capture...

Mostly for being able to file a proper Copyright on my compositions rather than tabs (which I am not good at) or just simply the 'Sound Recordings' copyright of the songs.

Boiling that the one! The pxmini I was not currently available that i could find. I wish something out there had a rechargeable battery other than AAA’s. I’m sure some day.

Choirguy,

Please encourage them to make a uke! I emailed and never heard anything. I almost got the 7 fret model but I am not that good at Ukulele yet, so I don’t need to be learning something else yet, or at least that was my thought. Spend the money, and a bit more, on the RISA.

Top Bottom