KoAloha's KoAlana line refreshed

Okay…is Kiwaya making the KoAlana models? That would be AMAZING. I have one of the current KoAlana models and it is a KoAloha shaped Kala. Nothing special in sound or feel.

A Kiwaya-based laminate KoAlana would be amazing, and they would have yet more of my money.

Okay…is Kiwaya making the KoAlana models? That would be AMAZING. I have one of the current KoAlana models and it is a KoAloha shaped Kala. Nothing special in sound or feel.

A Kiwaya-based laminate KoAlana would be amazing, and they would have yet more of my money.
Where did you get that? My guess is that they are just being sold at the Kiwaya shop, where more than just Kiwaya is sold. If choosing b/w the two I think I'd go w/ the student line. Btw, looks like 38mm nut, not sure on the actual string spacing, whether still wider or the Koaloha norm.

Where did you get that? My guess is that they are just being sold at the Kiwaya shop, where more than just Kiwaya is sold. If choosing b/w the two I think I'd go w/ the student line. Btw, looks like 38mm nut, not sure on the actual string spacing, whether still wider or the Koaloha norm.
I’m noticing what appears to be laminate mahogany…when the old one was gloss…and the Kiwaya shirt and logo on the wall (1st video) with no other news I have seen about a new model anywhere. So it’s just a statement of “that would be amazing!” Not that it is the case.

Is the neck shape and size, fret size, and string spacing the same as a KoAloha?

I’m noticing what appears to be laminate mahogany…when the old one was gloss…and the Kiwaya shirt and logo on the wall (1st video) with no other news I have seen about a new model anywhere. So it’s just a statement of “that would be amazing!” Not that it is the case.
The KoAlana line has gone from all-solid to laminate and from gloss to matte several times over the past decade or so.

"...From 2024, the factory was moved from Indonesia to China, and it has reached the present day. It is developed with a lineup reminiscent of the original core loha, such as rice ball-shaped sound holes and crown heads, and it is characterized by very excellent cost performance and easy to handle even for beginners."

The KoAlana line has gone from all-solid to laminate and from gloss to matte several times over the past decade or so.
Well, not exactly. I have an original KoAlana which was made in China out of solid Mahogany. The next model became the Opio. Then came the laminate Monkeypod, which own.

A laminate mahogany or laminate sapele would be a whole new thing.

I wouldn't get too excited .
This looks (and sounds) to me like a cost cutting downgrade . I hope I'm wrong .
Having said that , thinking of buying that "toy" soprano . ! It sounds so cute .
Easy Music in Honolulu should have these in stock sometime next week .

I wonder why they chose to use a capo on a couple of songs at the end? Not that I find anything wrong with that, but if you aren’t singing along, why not just play it without the capo?

And I’m also wondering why the changes to the line OR the new model didn’t seem to be annnounced anywhere

Oh, and DJ Mango—While the Sapele might be a “downgrade” the last KoAlana (again, which I own” sounds like a laminate Kala (or any other brand) And while the sound isn’t horrible…I can’t see the sound being any worse.

I have a monkey pod laminate KoAlana that I think plays great. I’ve had a Kiwaya student model. The Kiwaya student model was a lot lighter than the monkey pod laminate KoAlana I have, but that Kiwaya student model was lighter than any ukulele I ever owned.

Is Kiwaya KoAloha distributor for Japan? The example in video sounds well intonated. I had a KoAlana soprano about 3 years ago and intonation was so bad that I ended up giving it away. I can't stand faux abaloney soundhole decorations on cheap ukes, so that's a definite deal breaker.

*Low-G specification

Last edited:
Specifications
Neck : Okoume
Body : Laminated Sapele
Fretboard : Recon Rosewood
Bridge : Recon Rosewood
Tuner: Black Closed Gear Tuner
Finish : Matte Nitro Finish
Case : Padded Gigbag

When I spent a month at the Factory last February, the KoAlana line was prominent in the factory showroom and it was a fabulous Ukulele for its price range made in Indonesia from Trembsi wood laminate. This has been the line for a few years. I am not aware of a change from this, but I am also not in the loop on changes to Koaloha brand. I will speak with Moms and Pops sometime this week.

Top Bottom