::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bracing for the flight, getting up at 3am, flight at 6am, 6 hours from Bangkok to Tokyo, 2 hour lay over, then about 13 hrs to Newark, another 2 hour lay over then a final couple hours to Indy, then an hour drive home. Probably about 26 hours from start to end.

Too bad you couldn't break that up with a couple days in Japan or Hawaii.

I'm pretty much going to solely drink Kona coffee on the weekends when I'm home.

I think during the weekdays when working I'll stick with Peet's or Philz because of the cost, but treat myself on the weekends. Maybe I'll use my Starbucks's gift cards for their fancy stuff.

Went to a few of the more well known restaurants and have decided that the food on Maui sucks compared to Oahu.

People rant and rave about Starnoodle. It was good. Not great. Better than other restaurants we've tried here but not 5 stars that Yelpers seem to think it is. I think it's because the chef was on Top Chef. People forget he got cut in the quarter finals.

We also went to the Gazebo for breakfast. Again, didn't live up to the hype. Fried rice was huge but that's about it. Nothing special. Like Like in Honolulu is much better. I had kalua pork. It was tasty, a bit salty and a rather small portion. My eggs were over cooked and the potatoes were the temp they would be coming straight out of cambro. Same with the fried rice.

I think people rant and rave because they're in Hawaii. They go food dumb and everything is "aloha"

Our best meal out has been at a dive bar/restaurant called Tiffany's. My friend Danny recommended it. He lives in Kula near Kihei. The best poke has been from Costco . . . But they do make it pretty good.

Cooking in our room is a bit of a challenge.

We only have an electric skillet, a portable burner and a rice cooker. I should have stopped at Walmart and bought a couple cheapie pans. Impossible to fry an egg on what we have available. I've been poaching them instead.

Last night we had steaks with rice and sautéed veggies.

I stole butter packets from the snack bar and bought a glass of wine for the veggies.

Yesterday I grilled some Opah but it took forever because the communal grills were crowded and the one I got didn't get very hot.

Today's lunch will be opah sandwiches. I took mayo packets from the snack bar too and plan to prepare the opah like a canned tuna sandwich.

Breakfast is fried rice and poached eggs with portugueses sausage. Cereal for me since I can't have that much rice.

It's nice having the leisure time to cook.

Always in such a rush when we're home and so many time commitments.

I'm pretty much going to solely drink Kona coffee on the weekends when I'm home.

I think during the weekdays when working I'll stick with Peet's or Philz because of the cost, but treat myself on the weekends. Maybe I'll use my Starbucks's gift cards for their fancy stuff.

Kona can be sublime. Or meh. It's not so much the place as the care in farming and the sorting of the beans.

Last night we had steaks with rice and sautéed veggies.

I stole butter packets from the snack bar and bought a glass of wine for the veggies.

This is almost like reading about the challenges you give your students.

Yesterday I grilled some Opah but it took forever because the communal grills were crowded and the one I got didn't get very hot.

Today's lunch will be opah sandwiches. I took mayo packets from the snack bar too and plan to prepare the opah like a canned tuna sandwich.

Breakfast is fried rice and poached eggs with portugueses sausage. Cereal for me since I can't have that much rice.

I made ribs for the family last night. I love having the whole afternoon to sit by the smoker monitoring the temperature. I don't really need to - the smoker is very reliable and consistent. But excuses, you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom