Loprinzi Owners Club

Happened to see this one listed if anyone is in the market

This one has been up for a bit. Unfortunately it has a crack in the top which is probably scaring off buyers. They need to drop the price more to get it to move.

Sometimes you see those instruments that sit for ages with the seller hoping maybe someday. It looks like an easy fix if someone was interested. Maybe the buyer would consider someone's offer.

Please add my name to the club! I found out about Donna via the website and went over to her shop for a chat. I thought she was an incredible person and builder so I ordered a Tenor. Its the most basic model in Mahog. I have to say out of all my ukes (8) this one is my fave for both sound and feel. I am lucky to have a couple K ukes from Hawaii, but this Loprinzi sounds the best. Such a pleasure to play. And the idea of having a uke hand made for you and the builder being in Florida close by? That's a dream come true. Im thinking of a baritone now to be honest!

Consider me another fan added to Club Loprinzi.

I recently won a Loprinzi spruce & mahogany custom concert in a raffle held as part of Tampa Bay Ukulele Society’s Tampa Bay Ukulele Getaway 2023 Cruise to Cozumel.

I am very enamored with this uke, and I say that as someone accustomed to fine ‘ukulele. Sonically, it’s as if a very fine mbira or music box and a renaissance lute had a child. The uke is an absolute blast.

NUD coming soon. In the meantime, here is a photo:
IMG_3414.jpeg

LoPrinzi-Model-C-Tenor-Ukulele-1.jpg

LoPrinzi-Model-C-Tenor-Ukulele-4.jpg

LoPrinzi-Model-C-Tenor-Ukulele-5.jpg

Last edited:

I managed to find this when I was searching in the Houston craigslist. It's located in College Station, home of Texas A&M. Not sure if its a good price, but $600 looks to be good since its a baritone?

Since I was in Ft. Lauderdale this past week, I made an effort to stop by Pennylane Emporium to see some ukes. I drooled briefly on the bank of MIH ukes on the right wall, then went over to the left side to try some in my price range. I tried the used Loprinzi cherry concert:

F9F51C12-B1A3-433D-A4FC-9441FF2F4253.jpeg

Then I tried a Martin T1K tenor, and Pono tenor and baritone.

The Loprinzi was very nicely made and I thought pretty light; I didn’t compare directly to the Martin concert to compare weight, they seemed to only want to have one at a time off the wall and each instrument had a sign not to take them down yourself. I might have tried more instruments and made more comparisons if I were free to explore with less oversight. It sounded very nice. But overall, a concert is too small for me. I’m 6’3” and long of arms, and used to playing guitar and dabbling in bass!

The Pono tenor was surprisingly heavy. After the Loprinzi it was jarring to feel that much weight in such a small instrument. I know it’s got a truss rod and a bolt for the neck that add weight, but it wasn’t only neck heavy; the whole instrument is more heavily constructed than the Martins or the Loprinzi. Something I keep reading about Ponos is that they don’t dye the mahogany. I don’t know which variety they use, but I wish they would! The mahogany on low end Ohanas looks much nicer than the mustardy colors of some of the Ponos.

The weight of the baritone felt like it matched its size, definitely did not feel too heavy. The baritone was a fantastic size! Perfect for couch noodling, it would be excellent for a child. I knew the tuning was that of the 4 high strings on a guitar, but much to my chagrin I felt lost on the fretboard without the A string! Beyond strumming some simple D chords (intro to Tom Petty’s Free Falling) and partial chord shapes I couldn’t really give it a fair test run. I think manufacturers are seriously missing the boat on this size in 5- or 6-string models. Much like I think Taylor is missing the mark by not offering their Baby Taylor as a nylon string. I suppose one could convert an 8-string baritone if one had the skill.

As to nut widths, I didn’t really notice any difference. I’m not overly sensitive to string spacing, I get tripped up much more by narrow fret spacing on a short scale.

I also looked at several Ohana tenors. They really do a nice job overall on aesthetics and construction. They had a TK-50G and TK-32, both of which I had viewed on Mim’s site when I was shopping for my daughter’s uke. The 50G reinforced that I don’t like an all-gloss instrument or excessive embellishment. Abalone rosette looks nice, but around the binding of the body and headstock it’s just too much for me. I had asked Mim some time ago about a TK-32, and she wasn’t as complementary about that one as another. Which is a shame, it’s beautiful. With her ear and experience I’m sure she has a clear preference but I bet I wouldn’t be able to pick it out.

At this point I think I’d be happier with a Martin T1K than a Pono tenor, and but for the country of origin I could be quite pleased with an Ohana. But I think I will be calling Donna! A very nicely made instrument from a Florida small luthier? Love it. I’m imagining a hog tenor with radiused fretboard, streaked ebony or rosewood bridge & fretboard (not jet black, I like the natural character); I like tortoise binding but I also like a lighter wood. Definitely a matching wood inlay rosette. Will have to think on tuners. I like rear facing, so Gotoh UPT with the coral color buttons would be nice.

Ah to dream…

Top Bottom