Movie suggestions?

I think one TV does have HDMI, (and the other one is probably 40 years old, but still works with a converter box.)
I'll have to look into the Firestick. Thanks for the suggestion. It never would have crossed my mind, but sounds like it could work.
I don't watch much (well, any) TV but Wifey wanted 'the stick' for Christmas. She catches Hallmark and all sorts of stuff on there that she likes. I bought another one for myself just to take on our hotel trips (it works on the hotel's internet) so there are, at least, some choices of what to watch. It's pretty neat.

All you need to activate it is a plain old Amazon account, and you do that at the time of purchase.

Easey-peasey - no chicken dinner.

Last edited:
I don't watch much (well, any) TV but Wifey wanted 'the stick' for Christmas. She catches Hallmark and all sorts of stuff on there that she likes. I bought another one for myself just to take on our hotel trips (it works on the hotel's internet) so there are, at least, some choices of what to watch. It's pretty neat.

All you need to activate it is a plain old Amazon account, and you do that at the time of purchase.

Easey-peasey - no chicken dinner.
I like easey-peasey. :)

I've got a few months to sort things out. My library reopens soon, (they're moving to a new building, and the old one has been closed for a bit), and I can see what they've got in the way of a DVD collection now and if they intend to keep DVDs in the future. (I mostly use e-books, so don't need to go in to borrow those.) The firestick might be a good option too, so I'll definitely be looking into that. Thanks.

Her library subscribes to Kanopy, which is a source of free movies and shows to stream. (My library doesn't take part in that, but maybe we've got something similar? I'll have to look into that.) I was able to connect my tablet to my TV and get Kanopy to stream, so will see if I can do that with her TV too. All I need is a HDMI on her TV, which is surely must have, even though it's old. That might be an option to hold us over for a while after Netflix shuts us down. (We've got 5 months yet.)

Maybe I won't even need a Fire Stick!

I don't like violence or hyper-sexualized stuff either. Some things I've found enjoyable enough to watch more than once are:

Nacho Libre
Night at the Museum (this movie was much better than I expected!)
Flight of the Navigator
Batteries Not Included (it's about an old woman with dementia (Jessica Tandy!), and there are some scenes of thugs damaging a restaurant, and the climax involves arson, if any of those things might not be enjoyable to your watching friend. Oh also a brief image of a painting with boobies. in 1987 it was rated PG I swear!)
Short Circuit (still so good! it starts out with what appears to be a battlefield scene, but it's just a drill with dummies. Some very mild depictions of domestic violence)
Evan Almighty (also much better than I expected)
The old Mash TV show is still great, but obv. involves war themes and stylized operating room gore. Watch out for the series finale tho. Oofa doofa.

The 1990 live action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie is really good! Great writing, great costumes, great story with heart. Stylized martial arts violence. No blood or gore. Raphael swears a swear word.

I haven't watched it in a long time, but Quantum Leap? The tv show with Scott Bakula, really good wholesome TV.

Edit: Oh yes and the recent remake of the Secret Life of Walter Mitty is tip top good. <3

Last edited:
I don't like violence or hyper-sexualized stuff either. Some things I've found enjoyable enough to watch more than once are:

Nacho Libre
Night at the Museum (this movie was much better than I expected!)
Flight of the Navigator
Batteries Not Included (it's about an old woman with dementia (Jessica Tandy!), and there are some scenes of thugs damaging a restaurant, and the climax involves arson, if any of those things might not be enjoyable to your watching friend. Oh also a brief image of a painting with boobies. in 1987 it was rated PG I swear!)
Short Circuit (still so good! it starts out with what appears to be a battlefield scene, but it's just a drill with dummies. Some very mild depictions of domestic violence)
Evan Almighty (also much better than I expected)
The old Mash TV show is still great, but obv. involves war themes and stylized operating room gore. Watch out for the series finale tho. Oofa doofa.

The 1990 live action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie is really good! Great writing, great costumes, great story with heart. Stylized martial arts violence. No blood or gore. Raphael swears a swear word.

I haven't watched it in a long time, but Quantum Leap? The tv show with Scott Bakula, really good wholesome TV.

Edit: Oh yes and the recent remake of the Secret Life of Walter Mitty is tip top good. <3
Thanks!
Swearing doesn’t bother her if it’s not excessive. She knows a word or two herself. LOL.
We haven’t seen most of your suggestions, so that’s very helpful.

Simon and Garfunkels Concert in Central Park. Everly Brothers Live from Royal Albert Hall.

Simon and Garfunkels Concert in Central Park. Everly Brothers Live from Royal Albert Hall.
She's of the Frank Sinatra era. Anything with "Frankie" is automatically great.
I'm a big fan of The Beatles, so she'll tolerate them for my sake. :)

The biggest music critic is one of my dogs, who is very sound sensitive. If you want to torture her, play some Yoko Ono. I had to use headphones for part of "Get Back", which I watched on my own.

Hard to please everyone, except one of my dogs who can sleep through anything. LOL.

We've been working our way through your suggestions and thank you!

I am able to stream from her IPad to her TV and can get some things from the library that way, so we have a backup for when Netflix cuts off the DVDs soon. My library has reopened and apparently has a lot of DVDs (according to friends - I haven't been there yet since I use ebooks and audiobooks from the library.) So we'll still have movie night even after Netflix cuts us off. (She doesn't like the idea of a streaming service.)

Oppenheimer will be on our list. The library said that they'll be getting it.

If anyone thinks of any more suggestions, please share!

If she likes Frank Sinatra, how about “High Society” (1956) and “Oceans 11” (1960). And for pure laughs, you can’t beat the Marx Bros. or W. C. Fields.

How about a Busby Berkeley movie or two? Usually pretty light on plot lines, but the music and choreographed scenes can't be beat.

42nd Street
Golddiggers of 1933 (or '35 or '37 they are all pretty good)
Footlight Parade

As somebody may already have suggested, any of the William Powell /Myrna Loy movies (though Nick & Nora drank like fish all through those movies and your friend might not approve). One of my very favorite old comedies is “My Man Godfrey,” 1936, with William Powell and Carole Lombard.

She's of the Frank Sinatra era. Anything with "Frankie" is automatically great.
To watch a young Frank Sinatra acting-not singing, how about, “Oceans’ Eleven “?

s2

How about a Busby Berkeley movie or two? Usually pretty light on plot lines, but the music and choreographed scenes can't be beat.

42nd Street
Golddiggers of 1933 (or '35 or '37 they are all pretty good)
Footlight Parade
Light plot lines are fine.
Netflix has some Busby Berkeley movies, so that seems like a good idea.

As somebody may already have suggested, any of the William Powell /Myrna Loy movies (though Nick & Nora drank like fish all through those movies and your friend might not approve). One of my very favorite old comedies is “My Man Godfrey,” 1936, with William Powell and Carole Lombard.
More good suggestions. The oldies seem to go over well. Even my dog who gets impatient during movies seems to do better if we're watching an oldie.

Thanks!

Top Bottom