My first builds

Bob Orr

Reaction score
These are two ukuleles I made for David Goldberg and his son Isaac, during 2013/2014. David was instrumental (no pun intended) in my getting an early retirement package from Lloyds Banking Group and as I had always wanted a go at making an instrument I agreed to make these for him as a thank you. I spent a long time on various internet forums and you tube pages researching how to go about this and making various jigs etc. The timber came from various sources. The neck is mahogany from the Bristol Timber Recycling Project and was originally part of a handrail on the stairs at Bath Fire Station. Back and sides again came from this source and was an odd plank that original was a part of some kind of furniture but we have been unable to positively identify it beyond the generic term of leapoardwood. The top is lacewood (London plane) purchased from Yandles in Martock as a large billet that was sawn on a bandsaw and hand planed (as was everything else). Also from Yandles is the Makassar ebony used for the fingerboard, headstock overlay and bridge. The bracing again came from Bristol Timber Recycling and is spruce, originally part of a large snooker table. Tuners are Grover open back and the finish is two coats of shellac sanding sealer and Tru Oil.

There is a latin inscription on the label, Viva fui in silvis, sum dura occisa, secure dum vixi tacui, mortua dulce cano which was an inscription on the face frets of an Elizabethan lute and translates as
I was alive in the forest, I was cut by the cruel axe, In life I was silent, In death I sweetly sing.

I thoroughly enjoyed the whole process and already have three guitars planned! I would like to pass on my thanks to everyone involved in this Forum (and MIMF and OLF) from administrators to contributors without whom I would not even have started this project. Special thanks to Mr Timms for all his instructional videos. This lutherie business is very addictive!

Bob Orr

DSC_1142 (383x640).jpgDSC_1134 (640x424).jpgDSC_1132 (640x424).jpgDSC_1146 (422x640).jpgDSC_1138 (640x609).jpg

Its good to see purfling/binding, endgrafts, soundhole decoration and inlay work on your first 2 instruments-these are often attempted later. Its also nice to hear that you've used some recycled wood. You didn't mention whether you are happy with the way they sound: do they indeed 'sweetly sing'?

Its good to see purfling/binding, endgrafts, soundhole decoration and inlay work on your first 2 instruments-these are often attempted later. Its also nice to hear that you've used some recycled wood. You didn't mention whether you are happy with the way they sound: do they indeed 'sweetly sing'?

Yes they are surprisingly loud and balanced. Sound even better when we swapped the cheap nylon strings with Aquilas. Pete what is the name of the timber yard on Wilts/Dorset border?

Bob

Top Bottom