My opinion on Aquila vs. Worth strings

Recently switch back to Aquila on my mainland mango due to nut setup issues - the worth c string was buzzing due to the nut being too wide for the width of that string, and I opted to not bother doing a DIY fix and just put the aquilas back on.

I'm surprised at how good they sound and feel, whereas on the mainland cedar the worthy have been a clear step up. It's cool to see that even within the same brand, different woods can cater specifically to different strings.

I also am finding I'm doing more fingerpicking, and the fatter softer feel of the aquilas is nice to have.

Is there a string out there to check out that would have a similar thickness and feel to the aquilas?

So all I heard for a long time here was that Aquilas were the wonder strings that made even a cheap ukulele sound great, so I got five sets at a bulk price. Silly me.

So all I heard for a long time here was that Aquilas were the wonder strings that made even a cheap ukulele sound great, so I got five sets at a bulk price. Silly me.

I think the main point I've gathered is that there really isn't one golden string that will sound good on all ukes. It truly depends on uke but also listener. The setup of the instrument especially at the nut also plays into it - some ukes won't have nut slots wide enough to accommodate the fatter aquilas, and others may have slots too wide for worths and other fluorocarbons.

I like Aquilas for volume. I like Martin M600s due to comfort and because it helped the nut a bit with playability and improved intonation on my concert. I am trying out Worth browns on my risa and am impressed with them also.

It very much depends on the sound you have in your head! I hate it when I see people saying Aquilas are not good strings (not particularly talking about this thread, but they do seem to get bad press). Aquilas, for years, were all you could get in the UK (apart from maybe the odd pack of Martin strings, not the newer ones, but the earlier ones that were truly appalling, or maybe some generic black nylon ones). I've tried pretty much everything over the years, but I always came back to Aquilas and have them on everything. To me, they help make the sound that I want to hear from my ukes, which is what they were designed to do- they are supposed to be a substitute for less reliable/ consistent gut strings (which would have been what the likes of Roy Smeck and other from his era would have been using). I like that sound, so Aquilas are always my first choice. If you're into a more modern, 'high-tension' sound, then maybe a string designed to sound like gut strings isn't the right choice for you.

I think the main point I've gathered is that there really isn't one golden string that will sound good on all ukes. It truly depends on uke but also listener. The setup of the instrument especially at the nut also plays into it - some ukes won't have nut slots wide enough to accommodate the fatter aquilas, and others may have slots too wide for worths and other fluorocarbons.
Ko'olau gold strings. ok, they are more yellow
see http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?39969-FYI-Uke-Strings

When I started playing ukulele, Aquila strings were a revelation. They made the awful cheap uke I started with sound at least reasonable. Then I heard about fluorocarbon strings and I got some Worth Strings and tried them on one of my ukes and there was a clear improvement. They made the Aquilas sound harsh on the others so I changed all my strings, some to Worth and others to Living Water which I found similar to Worth Clears but maybe a little more mellow. The one uke where I have stayed with Aquila is my banjo uke and they sound just great on that. However I recently got a new soprano (won it in the draw at a festival) and it came with Aquila strings - I think the New Nylgut type - anyway it sounds great so I am leaving them on. It's also made me think that I need to reappraise Aquila strings though I think for most I will stick to fluorocarbon. They give me the sound I want.

Phil Dolman above makes a good point. It's not just what suits the instrument but also the sound you're after. If it's the traditional gut sound then Aquila strings - or maybe D'Addario Nyltech - are the ones to go for. In fact, I am coming to the view that it's not just what suits the instrument but the sound you are after that decides what strings you use and, I suggest, the latter more than the former.

As an aside, I was sent a 1930s ukulele tutor and they were recommending using D and A violin strings. Presumably because they were much better quality than the gut strings sold for ukuleles, guitars etc. at that time.

I quickly removed the Aquila strings from all the ukes they came with, and I don't think that I'd give them another try... except, listen to this DeVine Uke and how rich it sounds with Aquila strings (altough that may say more about the instrument than the strings):

http://vimeo.com/87796691

IMO, you'd have a hard time choosing a pair of more dissimilar strings. I don't care for redlines, nor the wound Nyguts, but I like the non-wound sets, even though MOST of the time I prefer Flouros (currently Southcoast) better.

My biggest beef with the Nyls is how long they take to settle, but even that has workarounds.

The great string debate..

My usual choice is Aquila NylGut, and if I'm out for any reason, then whatever else is available.

I use a pick most of the time. NylGuts take pick use well, much better than anything else I've used. Granted, I haven't used them all, but so far the A's have it.

I seem to like Worths on reso-ukes and banjoleles, but Aquila nylguts on wooden ukes. I wonder if it's my imagination or if they really are different.

How often do you all change your strings?

I seem to like Worths on reso-ukes and banjoleles, but Aquila nylguts on wooden ukes. I wonder if it's my imagination or if they really are different.

Unless one snaps, only when the string won't tune up. I've gotten better life out of the NylGuts than I expected, and even better with the Reds. Occasionally, I'll remove a perfectly good set of strings from an instrument and retune to something different (there's a lot of tuning formulas out there) just to hear how it sounds.

So far; when I wanted to try something different or when one snaps and the latter has only happened once to date.

As long as the strings hold tune and sound OK, I'm quite happy to leave them on.

Top Bottom