New Strings on Really Cheap Ukulele?

dragonfly66

Reaction score
I have an A31 from Leolani (made in china, purchased in Hawaii by family member :p) It is red with Hawaii and two turtles on the front in gold paint.

Will this ukulele benefit from new strings or should I just find a better ukulele?

ANY uke could benefit from new strings! For sure give them a try first! However, there's always Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome...you can always benefit from having another ukulele!

Just a quick story. I purchased a rogue from musiciand friend ($17 stupid deal of the day) put $10 woth clears on it. Sound really good, better than some $200+ ukes I have played.
I may have been lucky.

Just a quick story. I purchased a rogue from musiciand friend ($17 stupid deal of the day) put $10 woth clears on it. Sound really good, better than some $200+ ukes I have played.
I may have been lucky.

Aloha Ukeeku,
Yes you were lucky, they're all good after I bought the innitial one, I bought a dozen more for gifts...
My first uke was the Rogue soprano $24.99 many years ago and is still a daily player....it sounds better
than many ukes 10 times it's value....I bought a rogue baritone and it sounds better than
my Kamaka baritone...go figure...Rogue $24.99 Kamaka over$1000.00???

As for Leolani, they sound good too..mine came with a hard foam case, tuner song book Aquilla stings and extra set Nyguts for $89.00
These Two brands , best bang for the buck...MM Stan

Last edited:
new strings can make an old dog with a sore throat sing like a nightingale!!! Go for aquilas and see what they can do for your Leolani!!!

Or, like penguinofsorts said, just buy another uke!!

hmmmm.....better still, do both.:eek:

I have a really cheap starter Ukulele, and with new strings on her, she sings! (Though I'm not an expert at these things!) Anyhow, you can buy new strings, Aquilla are supposed to be the best or Worths. I've already fallen prey to UAS, and plan to pay for my new Ohana on Saturday providing I have the money...otherwise I'll just keep waiting and hoping till I DO have the money, so as others have said...do both!

new strings can make an old dog with a sore throat sing like a nightingale!!! Go for aquilas and see what they can do for your Leolani!!!

Or, like penguinofsorts said, just buy another uke!!

hmmmm.....better still, do both.:eek:

I agree 100%!! Put on a new set of aquila strings and she will really sing. And yes.....get another uke!!!

the thing about aquilas is they are powerful, and can bring to life very cheap ukes because they can drive the (presumably) laminate top easier.

I have a cheap 'uke, too. I put some Worth strings on it, and it's terrific! Worth strings are so long that you get two sets from one package. Now, that's cheap!

Creating beautiful sound w/an inexpensive instrument can be very rewarding. Dismay your enemies and impress your friends!
:2cents:

There is somthing about aquila strings and laminate ukes....it's almost a marriage made in heaven. Put a set on and you will be amazed!!!

There is somthing about aquila strings and laminate ukes....it's almost a marriage made in heaven. Put a set on and you will be amazed!!!

My 'uke is a laminate. I'll have to give the aquila's a try. Mahalo!

:shaka:

My first uke was a $25.00 colored Mahalo, that came with those dirt-cheap fishing line strings. A set of Aquilas made a big difference - in fact I used a concert set (soprano uke) for a little more push.

Of course, they didn't help the bad intonation though.

Jason

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll get some new strings and a new uke. I'm a guitar player. I have 13 guitars (two are for sale). I really do not need another excuse to buy stringed instruments, but it looks like I've found one.

I just sold one of my guitars yesterday, which should get me a decent new uke. Now I have to decide whether to get a concert or tenor. I know, I know, get BOTH!

Last edited:
I have Aquila strings on my 3 laminate 'ukuleles (Mahalo pineapple, SpongeBob pineapple, Doane Clone Baritone), and my solid Spruce top Mahalo Camp 'ukulele and what a world of difference it made making inexpensive 'ukuleles sound expensive. ;) I haven't picked up my Mahalo pineapple on over 6 months but yesterday pull her down and played her and I had forgotten how nice this cheap little instrument sounds. The only exceptions to the Aquila laminate rule have been my Flea strung with Worth medium clears low g, and my Fluke strung with Kala Reds both of which sound better than they should. My uncle came to visit me yesterday and brought along his tenor mango SonnyD so we had with a few songs but he commented how nice my Kala Red Fluke sounded, first time he'd seen or played a fluke, he was impressed, and he owns 2 Martins too so he know a good sounding 'ukulele.

Ah, the UAS has not yet gotten hold you...but it will!

Oh Joey... It's got me alright.... I have just purchased a flute for one said daughter, whom I am also purchasing a violin (beyond the cost of any uke I will ever buy) so it's on hold. However, It's picked out and I am saving up...

Oh Joey... It's got me alright.... I have just purchased a flute for one said daughter, whom I am also purchasing a violin (beyond the cost of any uke I will ever buy) so it's on hold. However, It's picked out and I am saving up...

I did the same thing (the picking out and saving up I mean!) and it's been posted so should arrive in the next couple days :D

Top Bottom