NUD - ANTAR Pineapple Soprano

One thing I did get to really hear and feel is tightness vs openness. Before this trip, I could only really get and play higher level ukes online and shipped to my door. I didnt get that A-B feel of various ukes, side by side. But when I played a new vs used Grimes and a newer vs older MB, you can really feel and hear the difference. Shawn did a great job describing how the fibers of the woods open up as the uke ages. He mentioned that he usually notices the biggest differences at years 1, 5, and 10. That feels like how many years I've been rambling in this post. I'll stop!
Congrats on finding this gem of a pineapple uke and sharing your adventure! I have to admit that I was skeptical going into the recording about how the uke sounds, though after hearing it I agree with all of you. Really nice.

Yes - for the observation you describe, I sometimes wonder if there ought to be a 1 year "getting to know" period that each of us must wait before deciding that each instrument we "acquire" is or is not meant to be. I certainly have observed that each individual instrument can and does sound different to me from one day to the next, enough that the observation justifies my growing but carefully selected small grouping of ukuleles. "It will all work itself out," is what I tell myself and do believe!

Last edited:
I managed to stay over a month on Oahu without purchasing an ukulele, after playing and walking away from some absolute gems... until today.

Today, I had the pleasure of meeting Shawn Yacavone at his Ukulele Friend showroom in Kaimuki, where I got to play over a dozen high end ukes from Kinnard, Kotaro, Grimes, Chuck Moore, I'iwi, Cornerstone, G String, Lymana, Kula, Lone Tree, Mya Moe, Paul Kani, Keller, and a 1895 Manuel Nunez. 🤯

Let's just say I came home and took a nap afterwards, probably since 1) I woke up so early because I was too excited to sleep (has anyone seen that Disney commercial with the two kids?) and 2) I think my brain was actually over stimulated and I blew a fuse.

Before today, I had visited TUS, Ukulele Lab, and Ukulele Puapua and played an I'iwi soprano, a spruce Ohta San, a koa Ohta San, two LFDMs, a Ken Franklin, a Ko'olau, 2 Blackbirds, various Moonbirds, 4 KoAloha red labels, a Pops Juke-a-lele, a couple Thai Pineapple Sundays, a handful of Pono Master Series, and various other production models.

PHEW!!!

Through all that, I like to think I stayed rather disciplined, but I couldn't resist this little monster below. It's a custom koa pineapple soprano from a builder who I just started to learn about a couple days ago. Since I set an appointment to meet with Shawn for this morning, I was pre-viewing his website and came across THE soprano for me. It's by a Japanese builder named Koaru Aoki, under his brand name ANTAR.
View attachment 146861

Here's a video of Mika's sound sample:

My Kinnard thinline that I brought along couldn't stave off the UAS. It worked for tenor aversion, but this checked too many boxes for me...
  • My first proper soprano. I have a National resonator and a Romero Creations STC. Both don't really have that traditional soprano sound or feel
  • My first Japanese uke
  • My first koa uke!
  • Unique custom - I love the binding!
  • Great feel for a small uke.
    • I was able to walk away from the I'iwi because my fingers got a little cramped when I played up the fretboard.
    • I kinda liked the longer scale Pineapple Sunday, but that was on a concert body that just kinda had a soprano sound... which also wasn't quite as full for my ear. The extended scale also made it a little top heavy.
    • My ANTAR is 14 frets to the body, so it's just a bit roomier up there.
    • It's super light weight!
  • The SOUND!
Could this finally be the ender? Likely not for all ukes all time... but I have a strong feeling it's gonna hold my soprano space and I think that fills the stable and my soul.

After getting to sample some higher end tenors, I'm also quite happy with where I'm at in that category. I've been able to fight off some REALLY strong UAS urges, so hopefully that can continue... at least until I have the extra funds at the right time when that next special one comes along.

Wow! What an impressive list of ukes you had the opportunity to try. Uke heaven! And congrats on that new uke! I myself love the sound of the soprano.

Congrats on finding this gem of a pineapple uke and sharing your adventure! I have to admit that I was skeptical going into the recording about how the uke sounds, though after hearing it I agree with all of you. Really nice.

Yes - for the observation you describe, I sometimes wonder if there ought to be a 1 year "getting to know" period that each of us must wait before deciding that each instrument we "acquire" is or is not meant to be. I certainly have observed that each individual instrument can and does sound different to me from one day to the next, enough that the observation justifies my growing but carefully selected small grouping of ukuleles. "It will all work itself out," is what I tell myself and do believe!
Thanks! The trial period is a good idea. Since I've only been playing for less than two years and have had heavy UAS in that time, I've barely let even one uke get to that initial opening up phase. I'm learning patience and looking forward to hearing how my ukes mature. I'm thinking I have my small selected group pretty set, so now it's time to enjoy 'em and perhaps let go of a few, when the time is right.

Wow! What an impressive list of ukes you had the opportunity to try. Uke heaven! And congrats on that new uke! I myself love the sound of the soprano.
Thanks! I'm loving it as well and it feels right at home here.

As for the list, it's definitely a piece of heaven, but also perhaps a bit of purgatory since I don't get to keep 'em 🥲.. 😇

Congrats, that is truly one of a kind!

I managed to stay over a month on Oahu without purchasing an ukulele, after playing and walking away from some absolute gems... until today.

Today, I had the pleasure of meeting Shawn Yacavone at his Ukulele Friend showroom in Kaimuki, where I got to play over a dozen high end ukes from Kinnard, Kotaro, Grimes, Chuck Moore, I'iwi, Cornerstone, G String, Lymana, Kula, Lone Tree, Mya Moe, Paul Kani, Keller, and a 1895 Manuel Nunez. 🤯

Let's just say I came home and took a nap afterwards, probably since 1) I woke up so early because I was too excited to sleep (has anyone seen that Disney commercial with the two kids?) and 2) I think my brain was actually over stimulated and I blew a fuse.

Before today, I had visited TUS, Ukulele Lab, and Ukulele Puapua and played an I'iwi soprano, a spruce Ohta San, a koa Ohta San, two LFDMs, a Ken Franklin, a Ko'olau, 2 Blackbirds, various Moonbirds, 4 KoAloha red labels, a Pops Juke-a-lele, a couple Thai Pineapple Sundays, a handful of Pono Master Series, and various other production models.

PHEW!!!

Through all that, I like to think I stayed rather disciplined, but I couldn't resist this little monster below. It's a custom koa pineapple soprano from a builder who I just started to learn about a couple days ago. Since I set an appointment to meet with Shawn for this morning, I was pre-viewing his website and came across THE soprano for me. It's by a Japanese builder named Koaru Aoki, under his brand name ANTAR.
View attachment 146861

Here's a video of Mika's sound sample:

My Kinnard thinline that I brought along couldn't stave off the UAS. It worked for tenor aversion, but this checked too many boxes for me...
  • My first proper soprano. I have a National resonator and a Romero Creations STC. Both don't really have that traditional soprano sound or feel
  • My first Japanese uke
  • My first koa uke!
  • Unique custom - I love the binding!
  • Great feel for a small uke.
    • I was able to walk away from the I'iwi because my fingers got a little cramped when I played up the fretboard.
    • I kinda liked the longer scale Pineapple Sunday, but that was on a concert body that just kinda had a soprano sound... which also wasn't quite as full for my ear. The extended scale also made it a little top heavy.
    • My ANTAR is 14 frets to the body, so it's just a bit roomier up there.
    • It's super light weight!
  • The SOUND!
Could this finally be the ender? Likely not for all ukes all time... but I have a strong feeling it's gonna hold my soprano space and I think that fills the stable and my soul.

After getting to sample some higher end tenors, I'm also quite happy with where I'm at in that category. I've been able to fight off some REALLY strong UAS urges, so hopefully that can continue... at least until I have the extra funds at the right time when that next special one comes along.

Wow!! Just wow. I agree that the binding is gorgeous. Please post more pics of back & headstock. Thanks for detailing your feelings about the other high end ukes you sampled.

Congrats, that is truly one of a kind!
Thanks! I thought so too. Before i ran into this one, the soprano cedar bird was near the top of my list... but a model I could wait on. I was also eyeing some nice deals in the UU Marketplace, but this one called to me and I couldn't resist. The struggle is real!
Wow!! Just wow. I agree that the binding is gorgeous. Please post more pics of back & headstock. Thanks for detailing your feelings about the other high end ukes you sampled.
I've never seen binding like it!
9W0A6082.jpg

I tried searching this brand here on UU before visiting the showroom and got zero results! I ended up going with my ear, gut, and newfound trust in Shawn's expertise and experience in curating and filtering some of the best ukuleles available. Side note.. I found that the ANTAR brand is all caps. Still trying to figure out it has some meaning.
9W0A6078.jpg

As mentioned, this is my first koa instrument! Kind of interesting half curl going on. Still trying to figure out if it has some meaning. ;) Maybe it represents my recent change of pace, as I'm on a little burnt out work sabbatical. I like finding/creating little hidden meanings in things. There's also some flame in the koa neck. 🔥🍍🔥
9W0A6073.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! I thought so too. Before i ran into this one, the soprano cedar bird was near the top of my list... but a model I could wait on. I was also eying some nice deals in the UU Marketplace, but this one called to me and I couldn't resist. The struggle is real!

I've never seen binding like it!
View attachment 146917

I tried searching this brand here on UU before visiting the showroom and got zero results! I ended up going with my ear, gut, and newfound trust in Shawn's expertise and experience in curating and filtering some of the best ukuleles available. Side note.. I found that the ANTAR brand is all caps. Still trying to figure out it has some meaning.
View attachment 146915

As mentioned, this is my first koa instrument! Kind of interesting half curl going on. Still trying to figure out if it has some meaning. ;) Maybe it represents my recent change of pace, as I'm on a little burnt out work sabbatical. I like finding/creating little hidden meanings in things. There's also some flame in the koa neck. 🔥🍍🔥
View attachment 146916
Thanks for posting. I was able to find the luthier’s webpage but there is no photo of anything other than the front of that specific koa pineapple uke. I wasn’t able to zoom either, so your photos actually showcase that unique binding better than the builder’s webpage does.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. I was able to find the luthier’s webpage but there is no photo of anything other than the front of that specific Kia pineapple uke. I wasn’t able to zoom either, so your photos actually showcase that unique binding better than the builder’s webpage does.
Oh yes... These are pics from Shawn at Ukulele Friend. He does a great job with his photos and write-ups!

During my visit, the topic of Japanese luthiers and other small business owners came up. It was interesting to us that many of them don't have a strong web or social media presence. There's tons of mom and pop or one man show restaurants that make amaaaaazing food and they don't need yelp or instagram or a website to make it. They just make it. If you're lucky enough to walk by in an alley or hear about it by word of mouth or some travel blog/IG page, then you're in for a real treat.

I guess I'm lucky that Shawn picked out this gem and brought it over for me to eventually find.

Oh yes... These are pics from Shawn at Ukulele Friend. He does a great job with his photos and write-ups!

During my visit, the topic of Japanese luthiers and other small business owners came up. It was interesting to us that many of them don't have a strong web or social media presence. There's tons of mom and pop or one man show restaurants that make amaaaaazing food and they don't need yelp or instagram or a website to make it. They just make it. If you're lucky enough to walk by in an alley or hear about it by word of mouth or some travel blog/IG page, then you're in for a real treat.

I guess I'm lucky that Shawn picked out this gem and brought it over for me to eventually find.
Did you happen to ask whether that specific binding pattern has a name or is it unique to ANTAR? (the basis for my question is masonry patterns such as Flemish bond, English cross, and Soldier Course)

Did you happen to ask whether that specific binding pattern has a name or is it unique to ANTAR? (the basis for my question is masonry patterns such as Flemish bond, English cross, and Soldier Course)
I didn't ask at the time, but I just emailed Shawn to ask about the binding and the meaning of "ANTAR".

I tried filling out the contact form on the ANTAR website, but that didn't work for me. 🫤 There's a phone number I might try, as a last resort. I imagine Aoki speaks English since much of his website is in English... unless Google is auto-translating and I didn't notice. He also attended luthiery school in Phoenix, so that's another indicator.

I'd be curious to know how the maker came up with that name. OSF, the guy trained in Arizona, so maybe that's some southwest influence we are seeing?
I agree, BH. I'm sensing an Anasazi / Hopi / Navajo / Pima vibe. Nothing Japanese there, apart from a major dollop of Feng Shui.

Wow, that seems like an exceptional soprano. And beautiful!
It must have been an amazing experience to have been able to try so many fantastic ukuleles. Thanks for sharing.

I know it's often debated if instruments "open up" or not, but it always seems to me that I can't really say how I feel about a ukulele until I've had it for at least a year. Obviously, if the neck isn't right for me, or intonation isn't good, or there is some other disqualifying factor, that's obvious from the start, but most ukuleles just seem to sound better over time. Some of it is me adjusting to the sound, most likely, and some of it is finding strings I like for that ukulele, but some of it definitely is due to changes in the ukulele, IMO. So, in a year, or 5 or 10, your soprano will be even better, quite likely. Something to look forward to!

I agree, BH. I'm sensing an Anasazi / Hopi / Navajo / Pima vibe. Nothing Japanese there, apart from a major dollop of Feng Shui.
This is awesome! The write up on Ukulele Friend mentioned that it's likely European inspired, using techniques more commonly used for rosettes and applying to the binding. I've seen the cross before, in a Herman Hauser rosette.

I do like the thought of Native inspiration! I traveled through parts of the southwest in 2022 and fell for the craft of Hopi kachina dolls! Another thing that's super unique and way too easy to start collecting.

Wow, that seems like an exceptional soprano. And beautiful!
Thanks!
It must have been an amazing experience to have been able to try so many fantastic ukuleles. Thanks for sharing.
Mindblowing and eye opening. It helps quell some UAS triggered by curiosity, but also feeds some UAS with, what some might call, "confirmation bias." 😅
I know it's often debated if instruments "open up" or not, but it always seems to me that I can't really say how I feel about a ukulele until I've had it for at least a year. Obviously, if the neck isn't right for me, or intonation isn't good, or there is some other disqualifying factor, that's obvious from the start, but most ukuleles just seem to sound better over time. Some of it is me adjusting to the sound, most likely, and some of it is finding strings I like for that ukulele, but some of it definitely is due to changes in the ukulele, IMO. So, in a year, or 5 or 10, your soprano will be even better, quite likely. Something to look forward to!
I didn't realize it was debated, but likely because I've just started to learn about the world of custom and high end instruments. I would tend to agree that the instruments open up over time. If experts like TUS and Shawn say it, I'm leaning their way. Shawn mentioned the fibers of the wood opening over time that allows the instrument to vibrate more freely. I can easily buy that!

A Strad violin came to mind as a perfect example, but I just looked it up and Wikipedia mentions studies on the debate! Interesting!!

Perhaps the older vs newer Grimes and MBs I got to sample were more fundamentally different from the start, rather than due to their age?!

Meh.. I'm gonna stick with the romantic version and keep playing these things for years to come to find out!

I've seen the cross before, in a Herman Hauser rosette.
Here's the rosette pattern I mentioned. It even uses a similar color palette. I actually almost bought a classical guitar from a local Seattle luthier, named Robert Hamm, who replicates this Hauser rosette below! I actually decided on a different guitar with a different rosette, based on sound, although I preferred this aesthetic. Now it found me in ukulele form!
image_8_1598383852.jpg

Last question (I promise). Did Mr. Aoki use MOP, abalone, or some other material for the fret markers?

Last question (I promise). Did Mr. Aoki use MOP, abalone, or some other material for the fret markers?
I don't mind questions. Abalone, aka "paua" here in Hawaii.

More pics and write up from Shawn on the Ukulele Friend website, for your perusal.

Btw, I'm not deflecting! Happy to bounce ideas around... but the listing has a lot of info that I'm just regurgitating. 😅

Thanks!

Mindblowing and eye opening. It helps quell some UAS triggered by curiosity, but also feeds some UAS with, what some might call, "confirmation bias." 😅

I didn't realize it was debated, but likely because I've just started to learn about the world of custom and high end instruments. I would tend to agree that the instruments open up over time. If experts like TUS and Shawn say it, I'm leaning their way. Shawn mentioned the fibers of the wood opening over time that allows the instrument to vibrate more freely. I can easily buy that!

A Strad violin came to mind as a perfect example, but I just looked it up and Wikipedia mentions studies on the debate! Interesting!!

Perhaps the older vs newer Grimes and MBs I got to sample were more fundamentally different from the start, rather than due to their age?!

Meh.. I'm gonna stick with the romantic version and keep playing these things for years to come to find out!
When I was playing fiddle, I wanted a Guarnieri. I knew I could never afford a Strad, and a G was just as good, but not a lot cheaper, I found out.
I never bought either, but settled for a German copy that sounded really good, even when bowed by me. I bought a very nice bow, that helped.

Top Bottom