NUD First of it's kind, Pop's UkeSA Tenor WOW

rhiggie

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
One other time in my life, for a short time, I was the only person in the world to own what would later become a production "semi custom" ukulele. That was when Joe Souza sold me the prototype Kanile'a 2019 Platinum Pineapple, right off the shelf in the setup room on the 1st Kanile'a Factory Tour of 2019 (1/2/19). But today, I get to be that guy again, if only for a little while, today my Pop's UkeSA tenor WOW arrived! Let me start by saying because of my soprano WOW, I was worried that my mind had conjured up a uke that was to good to be true. My soprano WOW has an "off the charts sound" (see my NUD) even when compared to my nearest soprano, a KoAloha pineapple soprano, and the WOW is the uke I use regularly when leading Uke Jams. So when I asked Pops to build me a tenor version of the WOW, I wondered how would the tenor version compare to my soprano, was it possible to bump up that sound? You can see how I was struggling not set myself up for disappointment, but in fact this tenor WOW is better than I had imagined. I had a hard time stopping playing it long enough to write this review. It’s full, it’s clean, and it’s LOUD! And it plays like a dream! I am blown away by Pops amazing design and craftsmanship. Ok, so my new tenor WOW isn't quite a "bare boned" build. I asked Pop's to design a cool side sound port for it, something out of the ordinary. And he sure did a great job! Plus I got ebony bindings to highlight the light woods, and the 5 point crown bridge that ties in so nice with the headstock! And I think the layered headstock is beautiful. The PS logo is for "Pop's Specialties". And speaking of the 5 point crown (another of Pop's creations for KoAloha), check out the Gotoh turners with 5 point buttons (another upgrade)! Finally I opted for abalone fret "bars" (something Pop's started doing for some variety from the typical fret dots), and Pop's carried that abalone theme down to the bridge. When Pop's, Ed and I discussed the build, Pop's was torn between the pine back and sides and the "prettier" maple back. I told him I'd leave that decision up to his experience but this was to be a uke that could be heard when setting the tempo and strum pattern for Uke Jams, and that's what I liked about my soprano WOW. Sound was the key factor! With that he said that we needed to do all pine with the spruce top. All I could say was you are the expert! Like the day I tuned up and strummed my soprano WOW, today reinforced that Pop's has picked the perfect name for this family of ukes. I wanted to do a side by side recording with a nice, high end tenor and this WOW but I’m afraid it will make the "other tenor" look bad. So I'll just say if you compared a decent laminate tenor to a KoAloha (known for it's consistent sound and volume), the WOW is almost the same step up from the KoAloha (and I love my KoAlohas!). And the more you "dig in" to this uke, the more it gives back! Pop's has designed a winner in the WOW line! I shouldn't be so surprised, coming from a master luthier like "Pop's" Alvin Okami, but I was! So my many Mahalo's go out to Pop's for creating this masterpiece for me, and to Ed Fiscella for helping me to get the details worked out and the uke order put in! Feel free to contact me with any questions you might have. Now, back to strumming!

Attachments

• IMG_1713.jpg
    IMG_1713.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1717.jpg
    IMG_1717.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1706.jpg
    IMG_1706.jpg
    765.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1709.jpg
    IMG_1709.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1714.jpg
    IMG_1714.jpg
    545.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1715.jpg
    IMG_1715.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1708.jpg
    IMG_1708.jpg
    400.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1707.jpg
    IMG_1707.jpg
    482.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1722.jpg
    IMG_1722.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 58
I am so excited to get my own. I have been asking Pops for years to create a tenor scale WOW but he always resisted because it meant starting from scratch with building new molds and jigs. But you got him to do this, Rick, and I am sure it is a winner! Once he said yes to building your uke, I put an order for myself in the same day. Mine is now being sprayed and I should get it sometime next week. I cannot wait. Once I heard the soprano Wow, 7 years ago, my mind went wild thinking about what a tenor would sound like. Thanks to your persistence, this is now a reality. I am so happy to hear your love for this uke and cannot wait for mine to hit my doorstep. You have the very first one, my friend.

One other time in my life, for a short time, I was the only person in the world to own what would later become a production "semi custom" ukulele. That was when Joe Souza sold me the prototype Kanile'a 2019 Platinum Pineapple, right off the shelf in the setup room on the 1st Kanile'a Factory Tour of 2019 (1/2/19). But today, I get to be that guy again, if only for a little while, today my Pop's UkeSA tenor WOW arrived!

Let me start by saying because of my soprano WOW, I was worried that my mind had conjured up a uke that was to good to be true. My soprano WOW has an "off the charts sound" (see my NUD) even when compared to my nearest soprano, a KoAloha pineapple soprano, and the WOW is the uke I use regularly when leading Uke Jams. So when I asked Pops to build me a tenor version of the WOW, I wondered how would the tenor version compare to my soprano, was it possible to bump up that sound? You can see how I was struggling not set myself up for disappointment, but in fact this tenor WOW is better than I had imagined. I had a hard time stopping playing it long enough to write this review.

It’s full, it’s clean, and it’s LOUD! And it plays like a dream! I am blown away by Pops amazing design and craftsmanship. Ok, so my new tenor WOW isn't quite a "bare boned" build. I asked Pop's to design a cool side sound port for it, something out of the ordinary. And he sure did a great job! Plus I got ebony bindings to highlight the light woods, and the 5 point crown bridge that ties in so nice with the headstock! And I think the layered headstock is beautiful. The PS logo is for "Pop's Specialties".

And speaking of the 5 point crown (another of Pop's creations for KoAloha), check out the Gotoh turners with 5 point buttons (another upgrade)! Finally I opted for abalone fret "bars" (something Pop's started doing for some variety from the typical fret dots), and Pop's carried that abalone theme down to the bridge. When Pop's, Ed and I discussed the build, Pop's was torn between the pine back and sides and the "prettier" maple back. I told him I'd leave that decision up to his experience but this was to be a uke that could be heard when setting the tempo and strum pattern for Uke Jams, and that's what I liked about my soprano WOW.

Sound was the key factor! With that, he said that we needed to do all pine with the spruce top. All I could say was you are the expert! Like the day I tuned up and strummed my soprano WOW, today reinforced that Pop's has picked the perfect name for this family of ukes. I wanted to do a side by side recording with a nice, high end tenor and this WOW but I’m afraid it will make the "other tenor" look bad. So I'll just say if you compared a decent laminate tenor to a KoAloha (known for it's consistent sound and volume), the WOW is almost the same step up from the KoAloha (and I love my KoAlohas!). And the more you "dig in" to this uke, the more it gives back!

Pop's has designed a winner in the WOW line! I shouldn't be so surprised, coming from a master luthier like "Pop's" Alvin Okami, but I was! So my many Mahalo's go out to Pop's for creating this masterpiece for me, and to Ed Fiscella for helping me to get the details worked out and the uke order put in! Feel free to contact me with any questions you might have. Now, back to strumming!
A beauty. I've always liked a natural blonde look, and that side sound hole is a great idea. (I took the liberty of breaking up your post into paragraphs to make it easier for me to read.)

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
4 tenor thinline cutaway ukes, 2 thinline acoustic bass ukes, 5 solid body bass ukes
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member Cali Rose & The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Congrats. The abalone inlay in very nice. Is that tenor shape different from a Koaloha? It seems to have a bigger lower bout.

Congrats. The abalone inlay in very nice. Is that tenor shape different from a Koaloha? It seems to have a bigger lower bout.
I think it might be camera distortion. I put the new uke in a standard tenor case and it fit perfectly.

Very, very cool. Eager to hear a comparison recording.

Can anyone associated with POPs new venture,moist when the web site is up and all models firmed up. I’d like a tenor and will watch for the NUD on that. I’ve loosely followed the UKESA threads when they come up!
thanks

Can anyone associated with POPs new venture,moist when the web site is up and all models firmed up. I’d like a tenor and will watch for the NUD on that. I’ve loosely followed the UKESA threads when they come up!
thanks
I was just talking with Pops and he has one available for you if you like. He is send pics to me now. I'll send the pics DM when I get them.

Wow, that's a great looking instrument! Elegant detailing with just the right pop. Would love to hear it compared to something else.

That is a beauty, I am a fan of the blond look as well. Spent 30 minutes perusing Pop's website. The soprano WOW and the tenor WOW now are sitting on the top of my wish list. Appreciate you sharing all of the details.

Cheers,

Steve.

That is a beauty, I am a fan of the blond look as well. Spent 30 minutes perusing Pop's website. The soprano WOW and the tenor WOW now are sitting on the top of my wish list. Appreciate you sharing all of the details.

Cheers,

Steve.
Aloha Steve, I see that you checked out our website for the new WOW line. They are not up there yet but you can see the tenor. I am attaching pics of the New soprano. The only difference is that the soprano will also have the triple slot side sound port added to the photos you see here. We are taking orders even before going on to the website as Pops does not build in quantity but builds custom for when he gets an order. What you are seeing here is the basic model. There are upgrades like the GOTOH pegs, the five-point crown buttons on the GOTOH's, upgraded wood, paua abalone, five-point crown bridge, but the base model in itself is fantastic and for only $600 to start.

0-1.jpeg0-2.jpeg0.jpeg

Attachments

• 0-2.jpeg
    0-2.jpeg
    231.1 KB · Views: 6
Dumb question and too lazy to look it up...when did pops "retire"? or more accurately, hand over running of Koaloha to the sons?

Top Bottom