NUD Myer's Grip Series Pickup - No Install Required!

Thank you Dohle. Appreciate your feedback and question.

If you don't mind the extra cord of the Feather series, I'd go with the Feather. Just be extra careful with the attachment to the mini suction cup. It uses a nut that screws down to hold the wire in place. I found that using a 90 degree wrap keeps the mic in place the best but be careful with the nut because it can come off and get lost. It is easily replaceable at any hardware store, but if you happen to be in the middle of a gig and loose it that would jam up your sesh.
Thanks so much! I will probably go with the Feather. My biggest issue with the Grip is that the whole unit is attached to the uke whereas with the Feather you can only attach the mic/chord and have the main unit elsewhere. That's a big plus for me since it should be way easier to attach just the mic/chord to a uke rather than the whole unit.

Thanks so much! I will probably go with the Feather. My biggest issue with the Grip is that the whole unit is attached to the uke whereas with the Feather you can only attach the mic/chord and have the main unit elsewhere. That's a big plus for me since it should be way easier to attach just the mic/chord to a uke rather than the whole unit.
I used the Feather in a live jam sesh yesterday. The suction came undone several times. Could have been because I had the excess mic chord bundled up which could have caused more pull. Will continue to experiment and update.

I think this is quite bulky and cumbersome compared to other pickup systems out there.
You might as well just use a regular XLR microphone (like a Shure SM57) with a mic stand.
It would be more convenient and versatile for other functions.

Pickup systems exist to make the experience more compact and convenient compared to a full mic + mic stand...

Update on my Myers Pickup experience...

I don't remember if I mentioned this before, but I brought it in to a luthier buddy of mine who makes custom ukes. We hooked it up to the PA system he has at his shop and we had to turn down the volume to see if it was even working... which it was... very very accurately. These pickups also work really well for singing... which I'll probably use my Feather Series for or sing into my Grip Series.

Word of warning... DO NOT USE SUCTION CUP on a cedar top unless you are cool with dings. I tried it on my Pono Baritone with a cedar top and digging into the soundboard to get under the suction cup left some dings :( ... such is the way of cedar...

Also, I've found the best position for me for the Grip Series is on the side closest to your face, ideally using a 90 degree plug so the cord runs behind your uke. Also, wiping off the surface of your uke and the suction cup, then applying a minimal amount of water to the suction cup before sticking it on your uke greatly helps suction. For example, I ran my index finger through a running tap quickly and rubbed the water on my finger on the the bottom of the suction cup.

The best place for the mic for me, at the moment, is right below the sound hole and above your G string. I've found that I have more chance of feedback having the mic inside the soundhole. Most definitely request a foam wind guard when ordering because if you don't have one, the mic can vibrate with the soundboard. The foam mic cover will act as a cushion for this. See pic attached for reference for position.

Attachments

• 20220707_004136.jpg
    20220707_004136.jpg
    515.1 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom