Part Needed for a Music Stand

Jerryc41

Reaction score
A friend has one of those generic chrome music stands that comes apart. Somewhere along the way, she lost the top rod that hold the music holder. It's a chrome rod about 10mm in diameter that slides into a rod in the stand. I couldn't find music stand parts online, so I'm wondering if any of you know how she could replace this part.

Looking on Amazon, they're all black now. I remember when most of them were chrome.

Funny - eBay, $9.99 for parts, $33.50 for shipping. 🤣

Discard it and buy a modern one. Mine cost 40$ and has a holder plate that will take an open binder and th plate is steel so I use magnets to keep binders and books open and a pencil with a magnet on the backside. It's very sturdy and can have a shelf for pics capos etc.

Discard it and buy a modern one. Mine cost 40$ and has a holder plate that will take an open binder and th plate is steel so I use magnets to keep binders and books open and a pencil with a magnet on the backside. It's very sturdy and can have a shelf for pics capos etc.
Thanks. Everyone in our group has accumulated a variety of stands, from light and compact for travel to heavy and sturdy for not much traveling. They don't have to carry a lot of weight. A woman in our group came across this one and tried to set it up. That's when she realized it was missing a part. It's 99% complete, so she'd rather repair it than trash it. Maybe I can adapt something to fit.

A wooden dowel?
A dowel won't work because you need to bend and flatten the top end of the rod so that the music holder sits angled back away from the musician; both for viewing ease and to help keep the sheet music from falling forward into the musicians lap.

But a metal rod should work. The original rod was a tube, flattened and bent at the top end. You probably can't find tubular stock but solid rod should be readily available.

Take the stand to the hardware store where they should have metal rod stock in 4 foot lengths. Get something ductal like copper, aluminium, not stainless steel because it is too hard. Important is to get a diameter that will work with the clutch on the lower portion of the music stand.

Take the rod and stand parts home. Flatten the end of the rod with a heavy hammer. Heating may help forge it into shape. (You can look up how to anneal the metal depending on the type of metal selected for the rod) Fit the rod end to the pocket in the upper part of the music holder. Use an angle grinder if you have one handy and want to do it fast. Otherwise use a flat file. Clamp the flat end in a vise and bend the rod in a small angle, maybe 20 degrees or so. Cut the rod to length. Test assemble and modify the angle as necessary.

A dowel won't work because you need to bend and flatten the top end of the rod so that the music holder sits angled back away from the musician; both for viewing ease and to help keep the sheet music from falling forward into the musicians lap.

But a metal rod should work. The original rod was a tube, flattened and bent at the top end. You probably can't find tubular stock but solid rod should be readily available.

Take the stand to the hardware store where they should have metal rod stock in 4 foot lengths. Get something ductal like copper, aluminium, not stainless steel because it is too hard. Important is to get a diameter that will work with the clutch on the lower portion of the music stand.

Take the rod and stand parts home. Flatten the end of the rod with a heavy hammer. Heating may help forge it into shape. (You can look up how to anneal the metal depending on the type of metal selected for the rod) Fit the rod end to the pocket in the upper part of the music holder. Use an angle grinder if you have one handy and want to do it fast. Otherwise use a flat file. Clamp the flat end in a vise and bend the rod in a small angle, maybe 20 degrees or so. Cut the rod to length. Test assemble and modify the angle as necessary.
I'm going to look for a metal rod the right size.

Unbranded stands from Amazon are cheap and not meant to be repaired as cost of parts likely exceeds value of the stand. May make more sense to invest in a quality branded stand like Hercules that will last

I use light cheapies for gigs (Thomann own brand at the moment, very light) and a Manhasset at home. K&M and Hercules would be the quality options for foldable stands.

Top Bottom