Random Thoughts Thread (Uke Related)

Recorded? That's cool I guess. Getting old does suck in some ways, But, it's wonderful in other ways. My grandkids are like my battery recharge. I just feed them sugar and then return them to their parents having enjoyed feeling vicariously young again. Seriously tho, rest and diet are often underrated, imho. Please see a doc if you feel you need to. Nobody knows us better than ourselves. Hope you feel better soon.
Thanks!
Well, day 4 of this pain. I did go to a walk in clinic yesterday, the ARNP ruled out Covid (whew) and streptococcus. The ear is less painful but she said the whole side of my throat looks like raw hamburger. I've been resting my voice (have a workshop to teach tomorrow) and gargling with warm salt water, some ibuprofen and Tylenol, alternated, for the pain, and some other natureopathic remedies.
I had to return the baritone ukulele I borrowed, so now I'm BORED! I finally went for a walk and worked up a sweat. I guess I'll see the MA at the ENT doc's office Thursday, maybe a better remedy will be forthcoming.

I’ve been playing ukulele so much lately, I’ve neglected guitar and bass. About the only time I’ve played guitar is in church. Just got done with rehearsal this morning and it felt so strange to play the guitar. So many string! So large!

I’m mainly kidding, but it did feel odd. Plus my callouses fading doesn’t help. I need to play more to maintain them.
Ha! Maybe they need to add a uke to their ensemble!

I recently thought about picking up the guitar. Our son actually left one at our house before he moved overseas. I pulled it out of the closet. Find a chord chart on the internet for guitars. Played two chords and thought, "Now why am I doing this?" Four strings are so much easier . . . don't think I have the energy for learning another instrument. I quickly put the guitar back in the closet.

Ha! Maybe they need to add a uke to their ensemble!

I recently thought about picking up the guitar. Our son actually left one at our house before he moved overseas. I pulled it out of the closet. Find a chord chart on the internet for guitars. Played two chords and thought, "Now why am I doing this?" Four strings are so much easier . . . don't think I have the energy for learning another instrument. I quickly put the guitar back in the closet.
I keep telling the director that I'm more than happy to add ukulele to the ensemble!

Part of me thinks that if I had found ukulele first, I would've stopped there. But then I realize I like learning new instruments so I'd likely have ended up with a guitar at one point.

Thanks!
Well, day 4 of this pain. I did go to a walk in clinic yesterday, the ARNP ruled out Covid (whew) and streptococcus. The ear is less painful but she said the whole side of my throat looks like raw hamburger. I've been resting my voice (have a workshop to teach tomorrow) and gargling with warm salt water, some ibuprofen and Tylenol, alternated, for the pain, and some other natureopathic remedies.
I had to return the baritone ukulele I borrowed, so now I'm BORED! I finally went for a walk and worked up a sweat. I guess I'll see the MA at the ENT doc's office Thursday, maybe a better remedy will be forthcoming.
So sorry to hear Nickie. Hope you are on the mend soon. I can tolerate a lot of pain but when it's my throat and ears, it knocks me on my arse. Feel better soon.

Thanks!
Getting a diagnosis from a MD is the important thing to do, so hopefully you’ll find out the cause at the ENT office.

You mentioned that you have a friend who is an acupuncturist. While that won’t give you the diagnosis & treatment plan you might need, it might help alleviate some pain for now. And if your friend is knowledgeable about Chinese herbs, I’ll just say that I personally would be going that route too - along with getting the diagnosis & treatment from the MDs. But that’s just me, & not advice for anyone else. PM me if you want, though.

(And if you do poke your finger as you mentioned above was suggested to you, I feel compelled to state what you already know - use a sterilized needle.)

I hope that you feel better soon. There are a lot of nasty bugs going around these days.

And to stay on topic, take 2 ukuleles & write a post in the morning.

Yes, that was my intent. I have no problem if the mods want to move it, though.
Eh. If it gets really off topic we can move it. Or if a lot of people report it as something that belongs in the General Discussion - yup, you can totally do that! Use that Report button with a little note letting us know your thoughts. We can agree and follow through, or disagree and suggest a compromise or decline. @mds725 please, feel free to do so! Feedback is useful.

I definitely got the impression from the Title and the OP that this is intended to be uke related random thoughts. But it's a conversation, so a bit of stray is acceptable.

Biweekly = fortnightly
Semiweekly = twice a week
(like semimonthly = twice a month)
Thanks. I was surprised by what I found when I consulted Webster's:
Many people are puzzled about bimonthly and biweekly, which are often ambiguous because they are formed from two different senses of bi-: "occurring every two" and "occurring two times." This ambiguity has been in existence for nearly a century and a half and cannot be eliminated by the dictionary. The chief difficulty is that many users of these words assume that others know exactly what they mean, and they do not bother to make their context clear. So if you need bimonthly or biweekly, you should leave some clues in your context to the sense of bi- you mean. And if you need the meaning "twice a," you can substitute semi- for bi-. Biannual and biennial are usually differentiated.​

Thanks. I was surprised by what I found when I consulted Webster's:
Many people are puzzled about bimonthly and biweekly, which are often ambiguous because they are formed from two different senses of bi-: "occurring every two" and "occurring two times." This ambiguity has been in existence for nearly a century and a half and cannot be eliminated by the dictionary. The chief difficulty is that many users of these words assume that others know exactly what they mean, and they do not bother to make their context clear. So if you need bimonthly or biweekly, you should leave some clues in your context to the sense of bi- you mean. And if you need the meaning "twice a," you can substitute semi- for bi-. Biannual and biennial are usually differentiated.​
Sorry I got it wrong. Semi-monthly = 15th and 30th (i.e. mid way through the month and end of the month - obviously, the true mid way and true end of the month varies, depending on the length of the month). You're correct, bimonthly is more accurately twice a month, but biweekly is every two weeks - there are some months with more than 4 weeks, so bimonthly doesn't necessarily = biweekly, at least from a payroll perspective. You get paid more frequently biweekly than you do bimonthly or semimonthly. Unnecessarily pedantic, but there you go.

Aaaaand back to the OP - would biukulele mean with two ukuleles? Or that you've got two ukuleles that you alternate between? Semiukulele - would that be like a sopranino? Or a ukulele strung with only two strings?

Aaaaand back to the OP - would biukulele mean with two ukuleles? Or that you've got two ukuleles that you alternate between? Semiukulele - would that be like a sopranino? Or a ukulele strung with only two strings?
Good job. We are back to ukuleles and random thoughts. Is a bongolele a semiukulele?

Getting a diagnosis from a MD is the important thing to do, so hopefully you’ll find out the cause at the ENT office.

You mentioned that you have a friend who is an acupuncturist. While that won’t give you the diagnosis & treatment plan you might need, it might help alleviate some pain for now. And if your friend is knowledgeable about Chinese herbs, I’ll just say that I personally would be going that route too - along with getting the diagnosis & treatment from the MDs. But that’s just me, & not advice for anyone else. PM me if you want, though.

(And if you do poke your finger as you mentioned above was suggested to you, I feel compelled to state what you already know - use a sterilized needle.)

I hope that you feel better soon. There are a lot of nasty bugs going around these days.

And to stay on topic, take 2 ukuleles & write a post in the morning.
Well, yesterday the pain subsided. Feeling much better, I cancelled the appointment with the ENTs. I taught a beginner workshop last eve. Today I feel even better. I got a lot of yard work done and even made it to a rehearsal for a show tomorrow.
Thanks for you help and encouragement.

Well, yesterday the pain subsided. Feeling much better, I cancelled the appointment with the ENTs. I taught a beginner workshop last eve. Today I feel even better. I got a lot of yard work done and even made it to a rehearsal for a show tomorrow.
Thanks for you help and encouragement.
So glad to know you're feeling better, Nickie!

Top Bottom