Rapid moves up & down the fretboard

PoiDog

Reaction score
I'm calling out for any potential hidden tips for making quick shifts up and down the fretboard, as well as moving between chords that require releasing the grip on the neck.

One of the switches I'm having the biggest problems with is rapidly moving from 3-1-0-2 to 3-0-0-0 to 6-5-6-5 to 5-0-0-0 to 3-1-2-3. The other may seem easy but it's going from 1-0-0-0 to 2-2-3-2.

The first problem is about moving really fast along the fretboard without either getting lost in frets or mangling finger position. The second is having to release the neck to make a barre chord.

Is this just something I need to practice and practice and practice, or is there a method of doing this that doesn't require letting go? I mean, I'd hate to practice something wrong only to end up stuck with that.

Mahalo nui loa

I think the more complicated fingerings require a strap (i.e. James Hill, Victoria Vox and now Jake). Some people have a vise-like grip with their strumming arm that holds the uke in place. But, I find that muffles the sound box, and just seems like a unnecessary exercise, especially for the larger instruments. If you don't mind getting a strap button installed, that will give you the most support (mandolin straps are a good size). Connect to the headstock to make sure the neck stays in place. I had one tenor uke fitted with 2 strap buttons (one at the heel of the neck), but it didn't stabilize the neck because it was too top heavy. If you don't want to drill holes in your uke (or alter your uke), you could try my Uke Leash (see signature).:D
–Lori

There are kind of two issues you seem to be addressing. The first is a movement of several frets up or down the neck and being able to move your hand very quickly yet land in just the right spot. This is especially tough moving up the neck where the fret spacing can get quite close. I've been playing guitar and bass for many years, and now uke, and I still sometimes have trouble with this because I simply don't practice it a lot.

The second is issue is that some chord changes require you to roll your wrist around so your hand is at a completely different angle. Again, practice is the main cure. You'll find that things that seem impossible will later become very easy, assuming that you keep practicing them regularly. I can't emphasize regular practicing enough. I'm no great shakes but if I go two days without playing I can see a decline in my ability - even on the easy stuff. I've heard guys who really are good say much the same thing (though their performance "in decline" is still better than mine at my peak, by a long ways).

John

I think the more complicated fingerings require a strap (i.e. James Hill, Victoria Vox and now Jake). Some people have a vise-like grip with their strumming arm that holds the uke in place. But, I find that muffles the sound box, and just seems like a unnecessary exercise, especially for the larger instruments. If you don't mind getting a strap button installed, that will give you the most support (mandolin straps are a good size). Connect to the headstock to make sure the neck stays in place. I had one tenor uke fitted with 2 strap buttons (one at the heel of the neck), but it didn't stabilize the neck because it was too top heavy. If you don't want to drill holes in your uke (or alter your uke), you could try my Uke Leash (see signature).:D
–Lori

Hey, Lori -

I just placed my order. Aside from the leash seeming like a nifty little tool, others on this board have raved about it. Oh, and I like the idea of supporting a fellow UUer.

Of course, if I still suck it will be entirely the fault of your leash, and not reflective of my playing ability in the slightest. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

There are kind of two issues you seem to be addressing. The first is a movement of several frets up or down the neck and being able to move your hand very quickly yet land in just the right spot. This is especially tough moving up the neck where the fret spacing can get quite close. I've been playing guitar and bass for many years, and now uke, and I still sometimes have trouble with this because I simply don't practice it a lot.

The second is issue is that some chord changes require you to roll your wrist around so your hand is at a completely different angle. Again, practice is the main cure. You'll find that things that seem impossible will later become very easy, assuming that you keep practicing them regularly. I can't emphasize regular practicing enough. I'm no great shakes but if I go two days without playing I can see a decline in my ability - even on the easy stuff. I've heard guys who really are good say much the same thing (though their performance "in decline" is still better than mine at my peak, by a long ways).

John

Hey, Phart -

Yeah, I kind of figured this is just something a lot of practice will cure. I suppose I just wanted to be sure I wasn't practicing something wrong because fixing that is worse than taking the time to learn it properly.

Oh, and of course I only now realized that the only way for anyone to know whether I am doing things right is for them to see me, which is pretty difficult to do via a written post.

Sometimes I amaze myself at my own thickness.

Have you tried alternate fingerings for any of these chords?

Find fingerings that let you switch chords without picking up all your fingers. This can speed up chord changes a little.

does anyone find themselves strumming all of the strings open between chords? for example play a G and strum down up down up down up down then all strings open strum up then Dm and start strumming again. if you're strumming at 100 beats per minute and strumming 8th notes like that i bet it's pretty hard to not strum the strings open on the very last 8th notes of the chord.

Hey, Lori -

I just placed my order. Aside from the leash seeming like a nifty little tool, others on this board have raved about it. Oh, and I like the idea of supporting a fellow UUer.

Of course, if I still suck it will be entirely the fault of your leash, and not reflective of my playing ability in the slightest. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

I got your order and it will go out tomorrow, unless you are going to any of the local Uke groups. I am going to Fred Sokolow's group lesson Saturday afternoon (in Santa Monica). PM me if you are going to the meeting, and I will deliver it to you in person if you like. http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...aps-class-with-Fred-Sokolow&highlight=sokolow
If you later decide to install a strap button, I have a Strap Button Adaptor that converts the Uke Leash into a full strap.
–Lori

Last edited:
I got your order and it will go out tomorrow, unless you are going to any of the local Uke groups. I am going to Fred Sokolow's group lesson Saturday afternoon (in Santa Monica). PM me if you are going to the meeting, and I will deliver it to you in person if you like. http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...aps-class-with-Fred-Sokolow&highlight=sokolow
If you later decide to install a strap button, I have a Strap Button Adaptor that converts the Uke Leash into a full strap.
–Lori

I appreciate the offer of the personal delivery! But I'm not ready yet to subject myself to that Fretboard Roadmap semina (*I suck way too much still).

Mail is fine, but it's nice to know another local uker!

Enjoy the day (I'll be at the Taste of Santa Monica event)

The first problem is about moving really fast along the fretboard without either getting lost in frets or mangling finger position.

Hello PoiDog

If your ukulele does not, you might benefit from having side position markers. My Kamaka doesn't (it has markers on the fingerboard) and I had white markers installed. I did the job and they don't look too pretty but very visible. You can buy a plastic rod from Stewart-Mac. You can certainly ask a local luthier to do the job and it shouldn't cost much, $20 - $30? If you want to try, you can put a small paper label.

Happy Pickin
Chief

Hey Dog,
I just installed buttons on my Mele Tenor and picked up a Mando strap at McCabes, just having that extra sense of security has helped with the changes as the neck is more stable. I have some guitar years from way back, but the Uke is new to me last year, similar but different. I fumble along with more confidence now, and the strap feels fine.
Good move.
Stu

I'm calling out for any potential hidden tips for making quick shifts up and down the fretboard, as well as moving between chords that require releasing the grip on the neck.

For doing lead stuff up the fretboard: 1. Slides - If you can slide into a note that is just too quick, it will be easier because you are sort of playing the note (slide) before you even get there. 2. Don't necessarily let go of the frets. Just lift up enough to move around. That way you can kind of "feel" how far you've gone (even if you can't count the number of frets that go by).

One of the switches I'm having the biggest problems with is rapidly moving from 3-1-0-2 to 3-0-0-0 to 6-5-6-5 to 5-0-0-0 to 3-1-2-3. The other may seem easy but it's going from 1-0-0-0 to 2-2-3-2.

Practice. Try and use fingers that can be common between two chords. That way one finger can just stay still or move up and down one string instead of having to relocate entirely.

Is this just something I need to practice and practice and practice, or is there a method of doing this that doesn't require letting go? I mean, I'd hate to practice something wrong only to end up stuck with that.

You shouldn't need to always let go. Try and find common ground to flow between notes/chords so that you can continue to hold onto the neck.

does anyone find themselves strumming all of the strings open between chords? for example play a G and strum down up down up down up down then all strings open strum up then Dm and start strumming again. if you're strumming at 100 beats per minute and strumming 8th notes like that i bet it's pretty hard to not strum the strings open on the very last 8th notes of the chord.

Yeah. You can fake it even better if you hammer-on the chord. I do this intentionally half the time. It just adds more movement and makes it easier if I'm feeling lazy. It can be overdone though. A lazy trick is no substitute for practice.

Top Bottom