Price
$$
Shipping
Free shipping within the U.S.
Size
Various

specialk13

Reaction score
I have 4 reels each of Seaguar Premier Fluorocarbon and Blue Label fishing line. I have only used 1 concert length out of 4 of the reels, the rest are full (can’t remember which ones I used though!). Anyway, here’s a great way to build some sets of good sounding uke string sets and it’s way more cost effective than buying commercial string sets. I labeled them for their string uses but you could mix and match with different lb ratings to make up sets for any size

Last edited:
What size uke would this work best for, concert or tenor? This might be actually a pretty good purchase for my classroom set of tenors. And is this high g?

I used these gauges for high g concert uke but I know that some cross over to tenor, I’m not going to be much help with which ones though as I typically play sopranos these days (and nothing bigger than a concert uke beyond that).

I think these compare favorably to other fluorocarbon string brands. I was pretty happy with the sound overall. I have been playing soprano almost exclusively so haven’t needed this rather large amount of reels :)

If those are 25 yard spools, 8 spools should be enough for about 60 sets.

They are fluorocarbon. The other key piece of information a person might want is the diameter of each one. In the close-up pic you can see that one is .022, the other is .024. Don't know about the rest.

A quick check of Amazon brought up a chart of Seagur Blue sizes:
60 - .029
50 - .026
40 - .024
30 - .022

And Seagur Premier:
60 - .028
40 - .022
30 - .018

With that info (fluorocarbon and the diameter), you could compare this string to any brand name string that publishes their string diameters.

Some relevant info in this thread.

I think a lot of string makers list the same strings for soprano, concert and tenor. But, some have individual sets. (which make sense, especially for tenor) For example, Strings by Mail lists Fremont Black tenor strings as .023, .027, .031, and .025.

A little digging should give anyone the insight that they need to know whether or not this stuff will work for them. Looks like they'd be on the "light tension" side for a tenor. You could rearrange things and get a spool of of Premier 80 (.031) if you wanted higher tension.

Is there any noticeable difference in feel or sound between the Premier and Blue Label strings?

Wow, thank you for the details LorenFL!

To me, the blue labels seem very even and the premier have a little bit of a brighter tone comparatively but also sound even throughout the range. I think they feel about the same honestly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom