Searching is problematic

billten

Reaction score
I know that using the search tools are all dependent on keywords and such but i enter "tenor strings on a concert" because i want to research any conversations about this and i get back - these terms are too common. Placing it in a quote should bring back that specific term, which really isn't very common. I have tried using the search tools for other things and they are always problematic in the results being to general or broad.

I have seen plug-ins that use a google search type of algorithm and syntax or there are others that allow a search on a complete term. I think using a more capable search tool would encourage us all to use it rather than simply have to re-post a message that has been talked over before because we can't find it.

Yes, I totally agree with you on this. I tried to search for specifically "leather" straps for ukulele but got every kind of "strap" discussion. Pretty tough to narrow down a search.

If you use Google for your search instead of UU's search function, you get better results. Enter this into Google's search box, for instance: "tenor strings on concert ukulele" site:ukuleleunderground.com. Take the quotes out and you'll get broader results; the quotes allow you to search for that exact string.

Here's a discussion I started some time ago about this very topic. I used tenor strings on my Kamaka HF-2 for quite some time, with great results and no problems whatsoever. And I've been known to use concert strings on soprano ukes as well - again, no problems.

Thanks for this janeray, it was the solution to the problem.
Bill

If you use Google for your search instead of UU's search function, you get better results. Enter this into Google's search box, for instance: "tenor strings on concert ukulele" site:ukuleleunderground.com. Take the quotes out and you'll get broader results; the quotes allow you to search for that exact string.

Here's a discussion I started some time ago about this very topic. I used tenor strings on my Kamaka HF-2 for quite some time, with great results and no problems whatsoever. And I've been known to use concert strings on soprano ukes as well - again, no problems.

Thanks janeray.

vBulletin's Search engine is tricky. I've used it before. It has a steep learning curve but keep at it for a while and it is easier to use. just don't use conjunctions outside of quotes.

Top Bottom