Season 173 - honky tonk heaven

I'm at the beach for the week so I'm going one track old school with just the iPad. Here's a song from Tim Timebomb & Friends that seems pretty honky tonk to me.

I don't think we've featured any women yet. Kitty Wells is among some of the first of the honky tonk women.

Before the great Kitty Wells came along, a woman's role in country music was to be a backing singer for a male performer. Interestingly, Wells's first big hit, It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels, was a riposte to Hank Thompson's Wild Side of Life. The latter mourned the bar-room infidelities of certain so-called wild women, while the former reversed the point of view.

Here's #1 Myrna

I had so much fun with the washboard last week that Ive used it here too:)

Thanks for this one. Randy Travis and country music this "recent" isn't really on my radar but I like this song. I'll have to add it to my song book.

Here's my second entry. As a kid I grew up listening to Hank Williams, Hank Snow, Ernest Tubb and their ilk and many of their songs were about lost love. I think this rubbed off on me, as when I go all country I seem to end up writing break ups (or their aftermaths) - as in my old theme for my last season. Here is another one:

Lyrics in the Youtube description.

IMPORTANT P.S.
I had been having trouble uploading videos using Microsoft Video Maker recently (lots of error messages). On the Net, the Forums I found advised reinstalling. I did that tonight and it installed a later version than the one I have been using. Looks like there are some fun improvements. BUT it now seems to have put these ugly black lines at either side of my video. Any MSVM users among you seasonistas know how I can get rid of them on future videos?

Here's my second entry. As a kid I grew up listening to Hank Williams, Hank Snow, Ernest Tubb and their ilk and many of their songs were about lost love. I think this rubbed off on me, as when I go all country I seem to end up writing break ups (or their aftermaths) - as in my old theme for my last season. Here is another one:

IMPORTANT P.S.
I had been having trouble uploading videos using Microsoft Video Maker recently (lots of error messages). On the Net, the Forums I found advised reinstalling. I did that tonight and it installed a later version than the one I have been using. Looks like there are some fun improvements. BUT it now seems to have put these ugly black lines at either side of my video. Any MSVM users among you seasonistas know how I can get rid of them on future videos?

Is there a ratio setting you can change? It looks like your screen ratio is out of whack.

SOTU 173 - Closing Time

Original by Lyle Lovett. After I did this, I realized I had flubbed one word, but it still kinda works, so I kept it.

IMPORTANT P.S.

The ratio settings are usually in the 'Project' settings. You look like you need widescreen as you do look a little 'squished' in the vid.

I think this is a Honky Tonk Song ...it takes place in a bar ..and it's a bit honktonk in texture ,..and I play The THORNTON rule ....Da Daaaaah ...

The Good Guys and The Bad Guys ...

Oh and just for a warning ...'tis is my first ever attempt at jug and washboard ...the washboard literally just got taken out of the box before I did this...all the way from Kentucky ....no free Bourbon samples though you tight buggers.............................and me 2 pint plaggy mik jug.......

Last edited:
Country Honk

Here's first one from me, at 'work*' today

*opened up two hours early to let the builders get to work.

Top Bottom